galelio

run the HDMI and TFT screen simultaneously

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 am

I have been looking everywhere to solve my problem but couldn't find a solution so i thought i might ask here.

I would like to run both screens Touch screen (DSI) and the hdmi at the same time, however i can only find one framebuffer /dev/fb0

is there anyway to add a second framebuffer? adding an additional driver? modify the kernel? i don't know

if someone could help me i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: run the HDMI and TFT screen simultaneously

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:06 am

AFAIK, its one or the other. But I cannot remember why. I'll take a look on Monday since I have been dabbling in this area for other reasons.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

galelio

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:24 am

Yea i can switch between the 2 screens just fine, it a matter of where the /dev/fb0 is pointing, but i was hoping to have a second framebuffer to write to both of them simultaneously.

i know that some apps like omxplayer can write to the HDMI directly while the TFT is active and responding, so it feels like its a software problem not a hardware.

k-pi

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:53 pm

From https://community.nxp.com/thread/462751
Victor Linnik Employee Oct 24, 2017 11:59 PM

You can use fbset utility to manage framebuffers.

Have a great day,
Victor
This may also help.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/pdf/Framebuffer-HOWTO.pdf

jamesh

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:24 pm

k-pi wrote:

Have a great day,
Victor
This may also help.
The issue is that the underlying boot code enables a framebuffer to HDMI or a framebuffer for DSI, but not both. So standard Linux stuff won't help.

galelio

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:11 pm

k-pi wrote:

Have a great day,
Victor
This may also help.
from what i understand is that you can use fbset to manage the current framebuffers but not to add one.

Morphology

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:51 pm

You can mirror one to the other using raspi2fb:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/AndrewFromMelbourne/raspi2fb.git
cd raspi2fb
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install
sudo cp ../[email protected] /etc/systemd/system/
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable [email protected]
sudo systemctl start [email protected]

topguy

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:32 pm

galelio wrote:
i know that some apps like omxplayer can write to the HDMI directly while the TFT is active and responding, so it feels like its a software problem not a hardware.
Or more likely somewhere in between, firmware. My guess is that at least you will need some support in the kernel for two framebuffers. And there might be performance issues with having two.

What exactly do you want to do ON those screens ?

galelio

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:57 pm

topguy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:32 pm
galelio wrote:
Or more likely somewhere in between, firmware. My guess is that at least you will need some support in the kernel for two framebuffers. And there might be performance issues with having two.

What exactly do you want to do ON those screens ?
i guess you are right, its probably a firmware problem, am writing a software where you can manage it from the TFT screen and gets the output on the hdmi (not mirroring), but so far am not able to do that. hopefully there will be an update to the firmware where it supports 2 framebuffers.

jamesh

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:23 pm

OK, so with the current driver, we are unlikely to support this. However I believe the new ARM side graphics driver (enable with raspi-config) DOES support twin screens like this. So that might be an option.

topguy

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:28 am

galelio wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:57 pm
i guess you are right, its probably a firmware problem, am writing a software where you can manage it from the TFT screen and gets the output on the hdmi (not mirroring), but so far am not able to do that. hopefully there will be an update to the firmware where it supports 2 framebuffers.
We have verified that both "Kivo" (Python) and "Qt5" (C++) are able to use the second screen, so if your "output" can be presented using any of those frameworks you could achieve this today.

jamesh

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:44 pm

After more discussion, it appears we may well spend the time and effort to make the current graphics system multiple screen, in addition to the new driver. No idea of the feature set yet, and it won't appear overnight!

galelio

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:32 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:23 pm
OK, so with the current driver, we are unlikely to support this. However I believe the new ARM side graphics driver (enable with raspi-config) DOES support twin screens like this. So that might be an option.
Thanks for your help, however i am not sure how to enable the new ARM graphics driver, do you have any instructions, i cant find it in the raspi-config.

jamesh

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:42 pm

OK, so just found this out and not tried it.

sudo raspi-config

select advanced options and find the graphics driver option. Select KMS option. (not fake KMS)

Now it should start up with the display running on HDMI and DSI.

You can apparently control it with xrandr and KMS ioctls. That's the bit I don't know about yet.

galelio

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:33 pm

jamesh wrote:

sudo raspi-config

select advanced options and find the graphics driver option. Select KMS option. (not fake KMS)

You can apparently control it with xrandr and KMS ioctls. That's the bit I don't know about yet.

Thank you, i will check that

juj

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:22 am

The fbtft project ( https://github.com/notro/fbtft ) does create a framebuffer for the second SPI display. This framebuffer appears as /dev/fb1 whereas the main HDMI display appears as /dev/fb0. These can be driven separately with separate contents, or one can use a mirroring technique to continuously copy contents of /dev/fb0 over to /dev/fb1.

A generic mirroring driver for /dev/fb0 -> /dev/fb1 copying that builds on notro/fbtft is available at https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp . I have been developing a custom mirroring driver specifically for ILI9341 displays: https://github.com/juj/fbcp-ili9341

It should be noted that due to software problems, performance and/or power efficiency is not great. The fbtft driver is inefficient because it operates on page faults, which has the convenience of being generic, but is not a good abstraction for performance. The mirroring driver has this issue as a major power drain: https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland/issues/440 . If that was resolved in the DispmanX driver, it should be possible to write quite power optimal mirroring drivers. If you are planning not to mirror the contents, then the above issue is avoided. In that case, you can mmap /dev/fb1 to write pixels to the SPI display.

EDIT: re-reading the thread, I realize this question was about a MIPI-DSI connected TFT display rather than an SPI based TFT display.

jamesh

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 pm

juj wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:22 am
The fbtft project ( https://github.com/notro/fbtft ) does create a framebuffer for the second SPI display. This framebuffer appears as /dev/fb1 whereas the main HDMI display appears as /dev/fb0. These can be driven separately with separate contents, or one can use a mirroring technique to continuously copy contents of /dev/fb0 over to /dev/fb1.

A generic mirroring driver for /dev/fb0 -> /dev/fb1 copying that builds on notro/fbtft is available at https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp . I have been developing a custom mirroring driver specifically for ILI9341 displays: https://github.com/juj/fbcp-ili9341

It should be noted that due to software problems, performance and/or power efficiency is not great. The fbtft driver is inefficient because it operates on page faults, which has the convenience of being generic, but is not a good abstraction for performance. The mirroring driver has this issue as a major power drain: https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland/issues/440 . If that was resolved in the DispmanX driver, it should be possible to write quite power optimal mirroring drivers. If you are planning not to mirror the contents, then the above issue is avoided. In that case, you can mmap /dev/fb1 to write pixels to the SPI display.

EDIT: re-reading the thread, I realize this question was about a MIPI-DSI connected TFT display rather than an SPI based TFT display.
I've been pondering the issue on github, and I am not sure its possible. Will have a lok though when trolling bout all this other display stuff that needs sorting out.

JasonY00

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am

SInce a company I was going to use for a multi room A/V system went bust I have been looking around for a low cost solution (that I could build and maintain) to fill the void.

I would love to have a setup in each room with the PI mounted in a wall behind the Official Raspbery Pi DSI touch screen. It would be used as a touch screen remote (running something like KODI) and pass the video output to a HDMI TV/Projector in the same room. Idelly I would also like to hook the audio output (maybe via an expansion audio/amp into some in ceiling speakers. The final touch would be to take a local audio source and also "pipe" it though the in ceiling speakers. Such a setup would do all of the things I was going to pay $1000's for in a fraction of the budget.

The first step is to be able to have the PI output two seperate screens (say Kodi on the DSI) and a movie on the HDMI screens.

I hope you clever people at Raspberry Pi or one of the forum contributors who are much smarter than me could acheive this!
I will happily wait for as long as it takes as "beggers can't be choosers".

It would open up a great new way to leverage the Pi into awesome cheap and highly customisable multiroom AV devices!

Many thanks

Jason

jamesh

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 am

This is being looked in to.

Note you can already specify the display for video output when using omxplayer, (ie desktop on LCD, movie on HDMI) not sure when using Kodi though.

JasonY00

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks for the reply Jamesh,

I couldn't seem to get OMXPlayer to work on the HDMI...but its most likely me and not the Pi...

I had conflicting instructions as to whether to use an equals sign. i.e.

omxplayer --display=5 video.mkv From Raspberrypi.org, or
omxplayer --display 5 video.mkv from omx player help. where "video.mkv" was various movie formats

Both times all I ended up with was the "Have a nice day ;)" signoff from OMXPlayer command line and no video on the HDMI interface.

I will have another go though. I do love a challenge...

Kind regards

Jason

JasonY00

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm

I have also tried to emulate the Youtube clip found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzugiIN ... e=youtu.be

that describes how to run the Pi with a HDMI monitor and LCD TFT at the same time in different modes via the “/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbdev.conf” file modification.

It seems promising, but I am not sure if the LCD is of the DSI type. I am also having a go at this option...

Cheers

Jason

luis1761

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:38 am

jamesh wrote:

sudo raspi-config

This worked for me just now. Thanks

djtommye

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm

This may require a new thread, but seems like a relevant question...

I do A/V installs and get tired of dragging out a laptop to test HDMI connections. I have the PiTFT Toucscreen, and would love to create some kind of "desktop" shortcuts that display on the screen and simply run some omxplayer scripts to output to the HDMI. This way, I can display color bars, a focus grid, etc on the output of the RasPi easily enough.

However, I'm pretty new to RasPi and I'm not sure where to start. I guess the first question is - CAN I drive content to the HDMI via omxplayer, while showing X on the TFT?

Thank you in advance!

jamesh

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:45 pm

See here for new multi FB support

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399

Vicky P

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:34 pm

I have tried the sudo raspi-config/Advanced Optionsd/GLDriver KMS option. When fullKMS is enabled, the monitor works and when fakeKMS is enabled, the touchscreen works. However, the touch part works even if the touchscreen display is off. Not both of them at the same time. I use this because I am legally blind and use a regular monitor to read fine print and the touchscreen for everything else.

Return to “Graphics programming”