User avatar
ajstarks
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:14 am

Plans to support Vulkan?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:18 am

Are there plans to support the new graphics API, Vulkan?
See: https://www.khronos.org/vulkan

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35770
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:42 am

You're more likely to get an answer by posting on https://www.khronos.org/message_boards/ ... te-on-GPUs
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dave j
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:15 pm

ajstarks wrote:Are there plans to support the new graphics API, Vulkan?
See: https://www.khronos.org/vulkan
From the page you linked to:
Will work on any platform that supports OpenGL ES 3.1 and up
So it looks unlikely.

jdunson
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:32 pm

I was wondering this as well. It looks like Vulkan should run easily on anything that supports OpenGL ES 3.1, and the Pi only does 2.0 IIRC. But there's a sliver of hope from a Broadcom logo on the bottom of the Vulkan page. Anyone knowledgeable want to comment on the odds that Broadcom or the Foundation will get Vulkan running on the BCM2836?

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35770
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:56 pm

jdunson wrote: Anyone knowledgeable want to comment on the odds that Broadcom or the Foundation will get Vulkan running on the BCM2836?
These things usually work the other way round. The Vulkan developers get their stuff running on the RPi because they see it as a desirable platform for their software rather than the RPF (or Broadcom) doing it.

The RPF have much more important things to do like making sure my RPis run with the best possible "firmware" and kernel. I'd also like them to be developing their new hardware (DSI display, 2A, 2C, 3B, 3A, 3C, Compute Module2, Compute Module3 or other new shiny things, NOTE there's a huge amount of speculation in that list) with the next new SoC from Broadcom.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dave j
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
jdunson wrote: Anyone knowledgeable want to comment on the odds that Broadcom or the Foundation will get Vulkan running on the BCM2836?
These things usually work the other way round. The Vulkan developers get their stuff running on the RPi because they see it as a desirable platform for their software rather than the RPF (or Broadcom) doing it.
Given Vulkan is the next version of/replacement for OpenGL, supporting Vulkan would mean writing a driver for it - something that hardware manufacturers usually do. So it's no more a case of the Vulkan developers getting it working on the VideoCore 4 GPU as it was the responsibility of the developers of OpenGL to getting that working on it.

Looking at the intermediate language that Vulkan uses (SPIR V), it looks very unlikely that the VC4 GPU could support it. It supports things like tesselation which the VC4 doesn't. So even if someone took the VC4 documentation an tried to produce a Vulkan driver I don't think it will be possible. I suspect the Broadcom logo is due to them having more capable GPUs that can support it.

User avatar
scidata
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact: Website

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:26 pm

It would be nice if compute was a general fork of GPU/OpenGL/Vulkan. To be held up by stuff like tesselation is unfortunate. The same goes for integer/floating point.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

riklaunim
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Usually the hardware also have to support it. You can notice on products specs which version of DirectX or OpenGL given GPU card supports. And on top of that most ARM GPU units supports only OpenGL ES and not the "desktop" OpenGL so it's even farther away from supporting Vulkan.

mimi123
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:14 pm

riklaunim wrote:Usually the hardware also have to support it. You can notice on products specs which version of DirectX or OpenGL given GPU card supports. And on top of that most ARM GPU units supports only OpenGL ES and not the "desktop" OpenGL so it's even farther away from supporting Vulkan.
Vulkan will work on OpenGL ES 3.1 platforms.

riklaunim
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:20 pm

VideoCore 4 docs state:

Code: Select all

 Fully supports OpenGL-ES 1.1/2.0 and OpenVG 1.1
So there may be a problem with 3.1 - and there always will be a difference between OpenGL ES and OpenGL.

mimi123
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: Plans to support Vulkan?

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:26 pm

riklaunim wrote:VideoCore 4 docs state:

Code: Select all

 Fully supports OpenGL-ES 1.1/2.0 and OpenVG 1.1
So there may be a problem with 3.1 - and there always will be a difference between OpenGL ES and OpenGL.
There is too much things missing for OGLES3.1 and OCL2.1.

{the VC4 also supports OpenGL2.1, but that's a detail)

Return to “Graphics programming”