Hodgepodge

Finding installed programs on the new Noobs Raspbian

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:01 am

Hello. I apologize if this has already been answered. I did some searches that didn't turn up anything. With the new gui for raspbian that disposed of the catch all folder in the menu I have not been able find programs that are installed. I am probably missing the obvious but right now I am at a loss on how to locate the missing programs. Thank you for any help.

klricks

Re: Finding installed programs on the new Noobs Raspbian

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:44 am

One way is to use a package manager either Aptitude that comes installed in Raspbian or Synaptic (GUI):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install synaptic

A package manager will show what is actually installed on your RPi as well as what is available and can also delete installed packages.

My notes on package managers:
http://home.budget.net/~klricks/Comp/RP ... dates.html
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

gkreidl

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:47 am

Check /usr/share/applications, which contains desktop files for each GUI program installed.

IMHO, an application menu should show all applications with proper desktop files installed. I tried to convince the new desktop designer of the foundation but he doesn't accept my point that design should not cripple functionality.

If you are running simpler desktops (openbox + tint2, for example, or awesome) you get access to the debian menu which hasn't been crippled by any designer.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Hodgepodge

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:33 am

Thank you for the help. The aptitude showed me the files installed but I did not see how to tell where they were or how to open the file. The second suggestion with the /usr directory did allow me to locate the files, but not if i looked in /usr/share/applications. This just showed the files that are already visible in the Menu button. I agree with the second poster in that the utility of the menu folder has been severely comprimised with the new desktop layout. It looks slick but if you cannot find the programs to open them what is the point? If I am missing a key feature of the new Noobs Raspbian desktop I would welcome any guidance on how to easily find programs that have been installed and also how to add them to the drop-down Menu button, or add them to the desktop/ taskbar. I am still at baby steps level with the Linux system. I am a firm believer in searching for answers, but if you don't know the proper way to phrase the question it sure puts a kink in the line. Thanks!

procount

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:52 am

PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:42 am

Note that this is the first go at the UI, Simon (who is a software engineer primarily, with lots of experience in UI design) is still working on it and will be for some time. Things should get a lot easier for people in each new version. (Just like Unity!)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

gkreidl

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:54 am

jamesh wrote:Note that this is the first go at the UI, Simon (who is a software engineer primarily, with lots of experience in UI design) is still working on it and will be for some time. Things should get a lot easier for people in each new version. (Just like Unity!)
Unity-like? Are you serious, James? The most crippled user interface I've seen so far.
The first thing I do on a new Ubuntu system is adding things like a taskbar (tint2) and an applications menu (ClassicMenu Indicator).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Raspbian”