zog

Blueman not working properly

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:26 am

I have always had trouble getting the bluetooth and blueman program to work correctly with the raspberry pi. blueman won't let me set up new devices when I right click the blueman icon in the system tray. I can't access Set Up New Device, Devices or adaptors. I have had blue tooth working before, but since I have upgraded my Wheezy and Jessie pi images it no longer seems to work. I have an intel version of debian where blueman works as you would expect it to. I was wondering is there an alternate GUI for bluetooth devices apart from blueman available for the raspberry pi ?
I am also running my raspberry pi's headless over x-windows and I thought that the pi might be struggling to do everything.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jack Taylor

Douglas6

Re: Blueman not working properly

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:41 pm

I would begin by determining if your adapter is recognized and running. What is the result of entering (from LXTerminal or other command line):

Code: Select all

hciconfig -a

zog

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:10 pm

I ran hciconfig -a and I get this

[email protected] ~ $ hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: BR/EDR Bus: USB
BD Address: 00:15:83:44:3C:21 ACL MTU: 310:10 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:520 acl:0 sco:0 events:26 errors:0
TX bytes:830 acl:0 sco:0 commands:25 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xff 0x59 0x83
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'rpi'
Class: 0x000000
Service Classes: Unspecified
Device Class: Miscellaneous,
HCI Version: 2.1 (0x4) Revision: 0x149c
LMP Version: 2.1 (0x4) Subversion: 0x149c
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

The blue tooth dongle is installed it's the GUI manager Blueman that doesn't work and seems to be broken. I have had Blueman working in the past, but it would only generally work with an over clocked pi. I managed to install bluedevil on my 386 machine and it worked on that, unfortunately bluedevil bricked the pi desktop. I had to re-image my SD card which luckily I had backed up last week. I want to run my pi's headless and interface them to mobile devices to provide the display information.
Anyway I am fed up of trying to get the blue tooth stack to work on the raspberry pi, so I am going to try a different tack.
I am going to buy a dedicated bluetooth serial port module as they are fairly cheap and attach this to the pi through the GPIO serial port. This should hopefully take the load off the pi as it won't have to run the blue tooth stack, which it doesn't seem fast enough to do properly anyway unless you over clock you pi.

I also tried to query the size of the white list and I got this so I was wondering if some of the config files are missing or corrupted, and thus Blueman gui fails because of this.

sudo hcitool lewlsz
Can't read white list size: Input/output error(5)

Thanks Jack

Douglas6

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Yup, the adapter looks fine. I don't use blueman myself. I generally don't have any problems pairing and connecting from the command line; the BlueZ stack itself runs fine on the Pi without over clocking (in fact, I recently had problems with my CSR 2.0 dongle when I did try to over clock). If you only need serial communications tho, the HC-05 modules work well too.

BlueZ 4.99 has patchy support for Bluetooth LE, so I'm not surprised the hcitool lewlsz command is not working.

fruit-uk

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:48 am

Are you sure it's a 'real' bluetooth dongle? I had one that reported as 'Cambridge Silicon Radio' but turned out to be a poor clone that caused me a lot of problems before being replaced with a good one.

zog

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a real bluetooth USB device as it works on every other computer I own.

zog

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:17 pm

on a raspbery pi model B

apt-get remove blueman
apr-get autoremove
apt-get purge
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install blueman
After upgrading my instance and uninstalling blueman and
doing apt-get purge blueman then

installing blueman (1.99~alpha1-1+b2) - bricks my desktop -
I get a flickering menu bar at the bottom of the screen

The only thing for me to try is to build a new version using Jessie from scratch using the latest raspiban wheezy image as a starting point. I am thinking of writing my own bluetooth manager as blueman was never very good on the pi anyway - fustrating! :(

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 pm

zog wrote:on a raspbery pi model B

apt-get remove blueman
apr-get autoremove
apt-get purge
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install blueman
After upgrading my instance and uninstalling blueman and
doing apt-get purge blueman then

installing blueman (1.99~alpha1-1+b2) - bricks my desktop -
I get a flickering menu bar at the bottom of the screen

The only thing for me to try is to build a new version using Jessie from scratch using the latest raspiban wheezy image as a starting point. I am thinking of writing my own bluetooth manager as blueman was never very good on the pi anyway - fustrating! :(
There is always gnome-bluetooth ;)
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

zog

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:59 am

I think I've figured out what's going wrong. I am running my pi desktop remotely using xming on a windows machine. For some reason when I am installing certain packages under Xwindows from a remote computer they fail to install themselves correctly. If I plug a mouse and a keyboard into the pi and install blueman locally it works locally, but I can not access blueman from a remote desktop. Interesting I installed the gnome-blue package from the remote desktop, [ uses about 0.5 GB of sd card space! ] I can access the gnome control center from a remote desktop, but not from the local desktop. So I guess the question is why should it matter which desktop remote or local you are installing software from ?
I have also found the command line program bluetoothctl to be very useful.

Correction blueman is broken in Jessie installing gnome-bluetooth fixes it. You can't see the blueman icon in the task tray under X11.

Return to “Raspbian”