CRImier

Re: Arduino-ide-1.6.4 + due on the Raspberry Pi

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Okay, I've packaged my version. It's here.
Extract it with a command

Code: Select all

tar xvf -C / arduino-1.6.5-armv6.tar.bz2
. It'll extract itself to /usr/share/arduino , which's where the repository version lies, so make sure you don't have Arduino IDE from Raspbian repositories installed before you extract the archive.
For this to work, you have to have following packages:
1) openjdk-7-jre (I guess version 7 work as well, honestly, I have no idea. If it doesn't complain about the executable 'java' missing, then it should be okay.)
2) gcc-avr, avrdude and libusb-dev
3) libastylej-jni

All the symlinks are already made, so you just need to launch it like

/usr/share/arduino/arduino
from your terminal.

I haven't managed to test this version on a RPi 1, unfortunately. The only Raspberry Pi B on Jessie I have is completely X-less, and it appears not even SSH X forwarding will suffice for Arduino IDE, since it requires some GTK libs or stuff like that. Do test it yourself, and send me the results if there's any kind of a problem =)
I don't think there are different executables required for RPi1 and RPi2. However, in the next few days I'll set up a testing environment on my B+ and see it for myself. As for now, try this and respond. I'd help you right now but I don't want to end up debugging ShorTie's version, since I have no clue of which problems might arise there. Post your terminal logs if there's something wrong, otherwise it'll be hard for me to help.
I would make detailed instructions for beginners, but it'll be more efficient to not to waste time that'll be spent writing tutorials and debugging somebody's else issues and make sure that we get an official version, which's what I'm trying to help to make now.
hackaday.io/CRImier
Current project - ZeroPhone

KLL

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:18 am

CRImier wrote:Okay, I've packaged my version.
thanks, worked ( also ) on RPI B, no reboot problem, details see my BLOG

CRImier

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi, KLL! I have seen your blog entry, it was nice and informative =)
So basically you can confirm this build runs nice on Raspberry Pi 1B/B+, right? Which one were you using, by the way? Did you try Compile&Upload functions, did they work?
You didn't need to install that much packages, only those I have listed =) It'd have been much faster I think.

What's with that Windows 7 64x issue? Did you personally encounter it? AFAIK just using the download from Arduino website should work good, that guy ran into problems because he was using Java version which wasn't the one bundled with Arduino IDE (somebody prove me wrong?). That's the only problem I see, and it's not really that much of a problem.
hackaday.io/CRImier

KLL

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:36 pm

CRImier wrote:So basically you can confirm this build runs nice on Raspberry Pi 1B/B+, right? Which one were you using, by the way? Did you try Compile&Upload functions, did they work?
You didn't need to install that much packages, only those I have listed =) It'd have been much faster I think.
-a- yes i only have a RPI B, but JESSIE, Arduino IDE 1.6.4 ( where ONLY i see a reboot problem?? ), Arduino IDE 1.6.5 ok
-b- i follow your last post, what did say "you pack something for us"
you not say WHAT, so i needed time to find out that that is NOT a compile or install package,
just a copy of your IDE, what is ok ( terminal start, its like the windows ZIP i use on PC)
i try the compile of "your" 1.6.5 and i see the IDE 1.6.5, but there seems to be a syntax error about avr-g++, so can not verify / upload

( sorry, that's actually the wrong forum )
CRImier wrote:What's with that Windows 7 64x issue? Did you personally encounter it? AFAIK just using the download from Arduino website should work good, that guy ran into problems because he was using Java version which wasn't the one bundled with Arduino IDE (somebody prove me wrong?).
yes, i use 1.6.4 and 1.6.5 ( and its nightly ) on 2 computer,
the 1.6.5 not run on the WIN7 64bit, possibly it ( that version of IDE) skips the bundled and try use the 64bit and fails.
in your question you blame the other user who also had that problem, but you not say what we would have to change? and still all arduino versions where running (on its own bundled version?), but why suddenly not any more?
actually 2 years ago something like this happened on that same computer after a failed java auto update, i check again, 1.6.4 run, 1.6.5 not run. originally i had 32bit and 64 bit java installed ( i check again / they are gone )
try jre-7u79-windows-i586.exe arduino IDE 165n not run
try jre-7u79-windows-x64.exe arduino IDE 165n not run
Last edited by KLL on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hevangel

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:54 am

Thanks to ShorTie and KLL. I finally got my Arduino IDE 1.6.4 up and running.

To summarize here are the all steps from a fresh Raspbian wheezy SD card
1. update wheezy to jessie
2. install 1.6.4 following ShorTie's instruction
3. sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyACM0
4. sudo usermod -a -G dialout pi
5. sudo usermod -a -G tty pi
6. *** disconnect the Arduino before starting the Arduino IDE ***
7. change port to /dev/ttyACM0
8. compile and download as usual

ShorTie

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Thankz hevangel for showing your appreciation, some might say without that, this might never have happened .. :?
Although I basically had 1.6.5 working with in hours of it's release, I was unsure of a release date for the .deb maker.

Folks, this is not hard to do. Ya it might take a little time, but hopefully not nearly as much time as me, lol.
I for 1 do not like to use any 3rd party binaries, Mainly because you never truly know what is in them.
So, Pleaze refrain posting links to already done files for me, Thankz.

If you want to develop your own version, Go for it. As a matter of fact, I highly encourage it really. You have no idea what all I have learned over the last year playing with this. But Pleaze, to keep the confusion down, take it to another thread!

Unlike me, because I never know what sdcard or pi I'm gonna grab to play with, It's only the 1st time you do a install that takes so much downloading/installing/time. So after the 1st time, make a image of it. Then the most you would need to do is a apt-get update/upgrade. I know there are many many ways of doing this, but I do have a few of my favorite utilities that I wrote over on my github that might help, https://github.com/ShorTie8 .

As far as the permission problems people have been having, I really have no idea. Although I do live on the wild side and always play as root. Don't know if it will help or not, but that is why I added the 'sudo su' in. What I do know is that the IDE is very picky about file permissions. As a matter of fact, they seemed to have learn a new command, exception.

Oh well, Sorry for the rant, but hope you find it useful, and enjoy.
And like all my stuff, this is a beer ware release.
If you like it, buy your buddy a beer.
If you don't, Pleaze recycle nicely.

And as always,
Have A Great Day
ShorTie ;)

AcidBurns87

Re: Arduino-ide-1.6.5 + due on the Raspberry Pi

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:39 pm

ok guys, I tried running this on a debian testing system on the RPi2.

I installed custom dependencies:
libastylej-jni, avrdude, libusb-dev, build-dep for arduino (somehow this installs openjdk-7)

and the official ones:
oracle java for rpi (I got the deb file from the raspbian repos), gcc-avr (seems to include avr-gcc and avr-g++), avr-libc, make, ant and git

after that I cloned the arduino repro:

git clone git://github.com/arduino/Arduino.git 
and replaced the build.xml with the one from CRImier (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CRImi ... /build.xml)

compiling with the command "ant" in the Arduino/build directory gives an error after a few seconds:
Buildfile: /root/Arduino/build/build.xml
BUILD FAILED
Target "linux-build linux-libastyle-x86" does not exist in the project "Arduino". It is used from target "linux64-build".
Total time: 2 seconds
I also tried cloning the complete CRImier Arduino git and compiling this; same error.
Compiling on a RPiB+ with Raspbian Jessie also gives the same error. (Only takes a few seconds more)

What am I missing?
Any help highly appreciated!

-Acid

\edit:
forcing the linux arm platform with

ant clean dist -Dplatform=linux -Darch=arm or
ant clean dist -Dplatform=linux 
also doesn't work...

CRImier

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:05 am

AcidBurns87 wrote:ok guys, I tried running this on a debian testing system on the RPi2.
Hi!

I'm sorry for this, my build.xml file went to "compile it yourself" to "full Arduino build system integration", so my blog post isn't that relevant anymore =) Now you can make it work using my cloned repository from GitHub and executing the following command:

git reset --hard 6f1bfe1 

This evening I'll edit my blog post to make the instructions work.
However, if you just want to make the Arduino IDE work, I suggest you use the already compiled version I've made lately. It is not only already compiled and good to go, it works on Wheezy as well (If somebody wants to see how the process of integration goes, follow this thread).
Once you download my version, just extract it with tar, cd to the directory and execute ./arduino . Should work right away (make sure you have your user in 'dialout' group, if you had older versions of Arduino working without typing sudo, you got it right.) If it doesn't work, please notify me - this is still WIP and I guess things might break =) If it works, I'd be happy if you tested it on every Pi you have - just want to make sure, maybe there's still something I haven't accounted for.
hackaday.io/CRImier

ShorTie

Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Updated build process

KLL

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:34 am

Thanks CRImier, your latest dropbox pack runs on my RPI model B, WHEEZY raspbian
details see my BLOG.
that is very good news and you should make it a new forum thread,
because if someone start in this one, he waste hours / days working through all posts with the JESSIE... thing until he finds your last ( nearly hidden ) remark about wheezy.

i got it also running from desktop menu, even parallel to the IDE 1.0.1, but somehow
loose the intro picture then.

atmosteam

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi! I followed the steps, I downloaded the arduino-1.6.5-arm_wheezy.tar.xz file.
then I extracted it with

tar –xvf arduino-1.6.5-arm_wheezy.tar.xz?dl=0
now it is located at '/home/pi/arduino-1.6.5'
there is no a icon on the Desktop or something. If I enter to the previous file, I find the arduino program, if I do double click on it, it is opened the arduino ide 1.6.5 successfuly but, I want to see it on my desktop as an icon as the arduino ide 1.0.1, there is also the install.sh file which I try to complete in the LXTerminal but I do not know how to do it in the first steps:

CURDIR='pwd'
APPDIR="$(dirname -- "$(readlink -f -- "${0}")" )"
Does anyone know how to fill it and give me an example?
Tank you

KLL

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:10 am

@atmosteam as you have the new CRImier zip file in /home/pi/ ( of your ?WHEEZY? system )
or get it with

sudo wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4pp9stjhsrc0nf/arduino-1.6.5-arm_wheezy.tar.xz
better extract it to
cd /usr/share/
sudo tar –xvf /home/pi/arduino-1.6.5-arm_wheezy.tar.xz
so there will be
ls arduino that's the prior installed IDE 1.0.1
ls arduino-1.6.5 that's the new IDE 1.6.5

i also not know how to use these install.sh
but here tips about desktop menu

cd /usr/share/applications/
sudo cp arduino.desktop arduino165.desktop
sudo nano arduino165.desktop and change
Name=Arduino IDE 1.6.5
Exec=arduino165

cd /usr/bin/
sudo cp arduino arduino165
sudo nano arduino165
change 2 times "/usr/share/arduino" to "/usr/share/arduino-1.6.5"
so now you have 2 icons in desktop menu and can start both IDE, but for the new one possibly not see the intro picture??

blownupp

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:37 pm

CRImier wrote:...Should work right away (make sure you have your user in 'dialout' group, if you had older versions of Arduino working without typing sudo, you got it right.) If it doesn't work, please notify me - this is still WIP and I guess things might break =) If it works, I'd be happy if you tested it on every Pi you have - just want to make sure, maybe there's still something I haven't accounted for.
Hello! I appreciate the work you've put into this so far, however I'm having a minor issue that no amount of Google seems to be able to solve:

I'm on an RPi2 with Wheezy and I have extracted your precompiled IDE which opens up and runs 'seemingly' normal, but spits out this:

(java:4620): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-entry-select-on-focus after class was initialised
(the following few lines are the same except for after *) ::gtk-entry-password-hint-timeout...
::gtk-can-change-accels...
::gtk-menu-popup-delay...
::gtk-menu-popdown-delay...
::gtk-menu-bar-popup-delay...
::gtk-scrolled-window-placement...
::gtk-button-images... after class was initialised
The main issue I am having however is with the boards manager. When I go and add a custom URL in preferences for additional 3rd party boards, going into Tools -> Boards manager results in:

Downloading platforms index...
Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json (which I can access in Chromium without issue, I currently have no firewall running on Wheezy which seems to be the most common issue with that error. I also get more errors in the terminal)

Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.Exception: Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json
	at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ui.ContributionManagerUI$3.run(ContributionManagerUI.java:158)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json
	at cc.arduino.contributions.DownloadableContributionsDownloader.download(DownloadableContributionsDownloader.java:100)
	at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionInstaller.download(ContributionInstaller.java:279)
	at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionInstaller.downloadIndexAndSignature(ContributionInstaller.java:255)
	at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionInstaller.updateIndex(ContributionInstaller.java:237)
	at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ui.ContributionManagerUI$3.run(ContributionManagerUI.java:154)
	... 1 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.remainingMillis(SocksSocketImpl.java:111)
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
	at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)
	at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:175)
	at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:432)
	at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:527)
	at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:211)
	at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:308)
	at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:326)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLConnection.java:1167)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect0(HttpURLConnection.java:1146)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.java:997)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:931)
	at cc.arduino.utils.network.FileDownloader.download(FileDownloader.java:137)
	at cc.arduino.contributions.DownloadableContributionsDownloader.download(DownloadableContributionsDownloader.java:98)
	... 5 more
So I'm a bit at a loss for the moment. My current game plan is to start from scratch and reinstall Java, check and install the various dependencies I've seen mentioned in this thread then try again. While I'm doing that, if anyone has a clear-cut resolution, I would greatly appreciate it as I have been working on this for the past couple days and would really like to use the Arduino IDE with my ESP8266 and Digispark.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or answers!

EDIT: Formatting error

drjohnmarino

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:36 pm

The archive files for 1.6.5 is no longer there. I have a raspberry pi and an arduino/alamode and i'm looking for a download directly to the pi. I could really use the help! Any suggestions?

fruit-uk

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:57 pm

It is still there at https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4pp9stjhsrc0 ... ezy.tar.xz but downloads as something like H91kumVpTZqijcfQVypOSdpAIaq9ie18B9XP0f4AB1pTXbTypOR95pPBtfO9Od4D
Simply rename to arduino-1.6.5-arm_wheezy.tar.xz once downloaded

froose

Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the information. I too have been looking to resolve this for hours. As I am pretty new to linux, Rpi and Arduino, I didn't really know where to look.

Anyway, I downloaded the above version, got it installed (including the icons), but when I do

./arduino
it throws me the following error (and somehow I feel like this will not be the end of it).

Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: 
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: java.awt.SplashScreen._getInstance()J
   at java.wt.SplashScreen._getInstance(Native Method)
   at java.wt.SplashScreen.getSplashScreen(SplashScreen.java:113)
   at processing.app.Base. <clinit>(Base.java:94)
Could not find the main class: processing.app.Base. Program will exit.
What I would really like to do is simply click the Arduino IDE icon and run the program. But that doesn't seem to do much. Even when I chmod it to 777.
Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks a lot!

Blowfly

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:54 pm

froose wrote:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: java.awt.SplashScreen._getInstance()J
   at java.wt.SplashScreen._getInstance(Native Method)
   at java.wt.SplashScreen.getSplashScreen(SplashScreen.java:113)
   at processing.app.Base. <clinit>(Base.java:94)
Thanks a lot!
I do have exactly the same problem on a Raspi B with kernel 3.12.28+... Does anyone have a clue?
Thanks!!!

edbrunelle

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:32 am

ShorTie, I used your instructions at the beginning of this thread to install Arduino 1.6.5 but when I start I get the following error:

at java.awt.SplashScreen._getInstance(Native Method)
at java.awt.SplashScreen.getSplashScreen(SplashScreen.java:113)
at processing.app.Base.<clinit>(Base.java:94)

what did I do wrong?
Ed Brunelle
Phoenix, AZ USA

edbrunelle

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:38 am

BTW, I noticed when I copied the binaries that you had, they were named "arduino_1.6.0_all.deb" and "arduino-core_1.6.0_all.deb". Since I need 1.6.5 I didn't use them.

Ed Brunelle
Phoenix, AZ USA

solar3000

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:50 pm

I read somewhere that you can just:
apt-get install arduino.
I tried it and it seems to work.
Is that different from what everyone here is doing?
Antikythera

PeterO

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:53 pm

solar3000 wrote:I read somewhere that you can just:
apt-get install arduino.
On Weeasy that installed a 1.0.X version. I've not tried it on a Jessie.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

panik

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:29 pm

PeterO wrote:
solar3000 wrote:I read somewhere that you can just:
apt-get install arduino.
On Weeasy that installed a 1.0.X version. I've not tried it on a Jessie.
PeterO
In the Jessie repo it's also the 1.0.5 version which indeed works fine if you don't need 1.6.x specific features.
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

fruit-uk

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:15 pm

I see Arduino IDE 1.6.6 is now out, though lots of bug reports already.

I've had a look around the sources but too much for me to follow :(

Sadly still no Pi/arm support but thanks CRImier, ShorTie, NicoHood and others I may have missed, for trying to get it added and thanks to all the others who have helped us keep up until now.

sdpatsdp

Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:31 am

fruit-uk wrote:I see Arduino IDE 1.6.6 is now out
[...]
Sadly still no Pi/arm support but thanks CRImier, ShorTie, NicoHood and others I may have missed, for trying to get it added and thanks to all the others who have helped us keep up until now.
My regard to all the guys that helped me with the upgrade to 1.6.5.

I have to say (sadly!) that I find very unfair not to support ARM build officially, Arduino, even after the problems with name and group, they still want to be an open community, but this looks like a "commercial thing" to go against the ARM platform (Raspberry, Orange, beagleboard and many other boards...).

I love do build projects using the CPU power of "Raspberry class boards" and the I/O versatility of "Arduino class boards" they live together as a charm!

ShorTie

Re: Arduino_IDE-1.6.7/github on the Raspberry Pi

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Made a build script for github

Return to “Raspbian”