beadsland
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:10 pm

XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:27 pm

So, I decided I wanted to run XBMC on my Raspbian install. As this was only for occasional use on a box that would mostly be used for NAS, torrents, cloud sync, programming and as an X11 client, the Raspbmc image optimized for running XBMC seemed not to be the best route.

So, I visited XBMC.org > Downloads > Raspberry Pi > Installing XBMC on Raspberry Pi, and from there followed the link to http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC

The build wasn't seamless (i.e., missing vchost_config.h, then an object file under dvdplayer/ that was coming out at zero bytes), but eventually I was able to get it to build and install.

Only to be confronted with an empty plug-ins list and a non-functional "force refresh" that did nothing to populate same. I've spent the better part of a week troubleshooting this (delayed by XBMC's servers going offline this weekend for relocation).

Now, I'm being told that the version of XBMC I've installed ("Eden"), per the instructions at Raspbian.org (and liked to directly from XBMC.org) is out of date an no longer supported.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... id=1814229

Perhaps it's time to update the RaspbianXBMC page to reflect the currently supported version of XBMC/Kodi?

beadsland
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 pm

s/and liked to/and linked to/


fruitoftheloom
Posts: 18863
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:22 am

beadsland wrote:So, I decided I wanted to run XBMC on my Raspbian install. As this was only for occasional use on a box that would mostly be used for NAS, torrents, cloud sync, programming and as an X11 client, the Raspbmc image optimized for running XBMC seemed not to be the best route.

So, I visited XBMC.org > Downloads > Raspberry Pi > Installing XBMC on Raspberry Pi, and from there followed the link to http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC

The build wasn't seamless (i.e., missing vchost_config.h, then an object file under dvdplayer/ that was coming out at zero bytes), but eventually I was able to get it to build and install.

Only to be confronted with an empty plug-ins list and a non-functional "force refresh" that did nothing to populate same. I've spent the better part of a week troubleshooting this (delayed by XBMC's servers going offline this weekend for relocation).

Now, I'm being told that the version of XBMC I've installed ("Eden"), per the instructions at Raspbian.org (and liked to directly from XBMC.org) is out of date an no longer supported.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... id=1814229

Perhaps it's time to update the RaspbianXBMC page to reflect the currently supported version of XBMC/Kodi?
Though it is feasible to install XBMC in Raspbian Wheezy the version in the repository is out-of-date and considering the overhead it is advisable to run Raspbmc or OpenElec from another SD Card.

The reason for no update is Debian themselves only support version 2.11 in their repositories.

FYI http://raspbian.org is not affiliated to the RPF and you need to speak to the developers if their web site information is out-of-date or incorrect.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit
https://www.asus.com/uk/Mini-PCs/Chromebit-CS10

beadsland
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 pm

1) Yes, fruitofthelom, I know it's out of date. That's why I posted. There is a very extensive set of instructions posted prominently on the Raspbian.org Web site giving instructions for installing XBMC on Raspbian, and those instructions are out of date. My post was in regards to raspbian.org hosting out of date instructions. (Before you respond to this, see #3)

2) If I have one more person tell me that I should just install a dedicated image of an operating system optimized only to run XBMC, I'm going to scream. Yes, I know it can be done that way, and if I was building a dedicated box that will only do one thing -- act as a media center -- I'd do it that way. But that's an inelegant solution for a system that will be used to view XBMC maybe once or twice a month but otherwise has other uses. Nor is it an elegant solution to reboot the entire system just to run a program once or twice a month, when a shell alias can be easily set up to shut down any resource intensive services, run xbmc, and then restart those services after xbmc is done running. That those in the XBMC community are so devoted to telling people to just run a prepackaged OS to get the software working is truly depressing. "We can't make this work, but we can rely on others to make us a bubble-wrapped one-trick pony that will work without our having to try." Jeeze.

3) Raspbian.org links to the Raspbian section here on RPF for discussing issues with the Raspbian platform. I would assume this includes issues with the Raspbian.org Web site. I was further assuming that if the developers of Raspbian identify the Raspbian sections of RPF as the forum for Raspbian users to discuss issues, that the Raspbian developers would be reading said forum to which their users are directed. Of course, I could be wrong on that count.

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums

If you have a problem with users of Raspbian discussing Raspbian-related issues on the Raspbian section of RFP, perhaps you should take that up with developers of Raspbian for directing their users here.

beadsland
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Ivan Tham wrote:Look at this:
http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc
Ivan, thank you. Something constructive!

This is actually linked to from the top of the RaspbianXMBC site. It's two lines of text before dozens of pages of build instructions, so initially I didn't focus much on it. Especially given that Michael Gorven's blog post was from two years ago. I assumed (wrongly) that it dealt with a binary that hadn't been updated in two years, and so further assumed (wrongly) that the build instructions that link to it would install a more current version.

As it happens, Gorven has been updating the binary associated with the blog periodically, the most recent version added to the package archive in June (or, at least, that's when the torrent/magnet for same was released). Had I started there, I'd have saved myself a lot of time. Perhaps the XBMC FAQ for Raspberry Pi should be revised to link directly to Gorven's blog, rather than the Raspbian.org page.

So, I installed Gorven's distro this weekend. It runs and can access add-ons without difficulty. Unfortunately, it crashes on exit 90% of the time, producing crash.log files that give zero indication as to why it crashed. Most of the time, when it does crash, it also restarts. Thus, I find I have to exit XBMC half a dozen times or more before the exit will finally take.

Any chance you've had better success with Gorven's build?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 18863
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:55 pm

beadsland wrote:
3) Raspbian.org links to the Raspbian section here on RPF for discussing issues with the Raspbian platform. I would assume this includes issues with the Raspbian.org Web site. I was further assuming that if the developers of Raspbian identify the Raspbian sections of RPF as the forum for Raspbian users to discuss issues, that the Raspbian developers would be reading said forum to which their users are directed. Of course, I could be wrong on that count.

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums

If you have a problem with users of Raspbian discussing Raspbian-related issues on the Raspbian section of RFP, perhaps you should take that up with developers of Raspbian for directing their users here.
I believe you mis-interpreted my response, I was just stating that the web site is not hosted by RPF therefore any issues with the web site should be flagged to the developers of raspbian who have no affiliation to the RPF, if they are not aware of issues then other users may have issues. ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit
https://www.asus.com/uk/Mini-PCs/Chromebit-CS10

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3311
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:01 pm

If anyone wants to fix the xbmc build instructions on raspbian.org drop me a PM and i'll get you set up with edit access.

kenelyka
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:13 am

Guys, using Gorven's tutorial for installing the XBMC, but getting an error: Error writing mene.list: Permissions denied.

Any ideea what permissions should I change?

DirkS
Posts: 9734
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 am

kenelyka wrote:Guys, using Gorven's tutorial for installing the XBMC, but getting an error: Error writing mene.list: Permissions denied.

Any ideea what permissions should I change?
Use 'sudo'

Gr.
Dirk.

kenelyka
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:55 pm

E: Type 'sudo' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mene.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.


This is what I get when I try to sudo apt-get update

I tried to remove the sudo, but still receiving the permissions error.

kenelyka
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:42 pm

DirkS wrote:
kenelyka wrote:Guys, using Gorven's tutorial for installing the XBMC, but getting an error: Error writing mene.list: Permissions denied.

Any ideea what permissions should I change?
Use 'sudo'

Gr.
Dirk.

Update: I managed to do everything, but this happens when i execute xbmc-standalone command:

xbmc-standalone
Could not init logging classes. Permission errors on ~/.xbmc (/home/pi/.xbmc/temp/)
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
Could not init logging classes. Permission errors on ~/.xbmc (/home/pi/.xbmc/temp/)
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
Could not init logging classes. Permission errors on ~/.xbmc (/home/pi/.xbmc/temp/)
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
XBMC has exited uncleanly 3 times in the last 11 seconds.
Something is probably wrong
Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console
Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console
Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

DirkS
Posts: 9734
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:12 pm

kenelyka wrote:E: Type 'sudo' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mene.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.


This is what I get when I try to sudo apt-get update

I tried to remove the sudo, but still receiving the permissions error.
Just to clarify: what I meant is that you need root rights to modify that file. So would do something like 'sudo nano /etc/apt/soources.list.d/mene.list'.
Then you should not get the error 'Error writing mene.list: Permissions denied.'

Gr.
Dirk.

kenelyka
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:16 pm

DirkS wrote:
kenelyka wrote:E: Type 'sudo' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mene.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.


This is what I get when I try to sudo apt-get update

I tried to remove the sudo, but still receiving the permissions error.
Just to clarify: what I meant is that you need root rights to modify that file. So would do something like 'sudo nano /etc/apt/soources.list.d/mene.list'.
Then you should not get the error 'Error writing mene.list: Permissions denied.'

Gr.
Dirk.

Yep, I know.. I was a little noob, but nevermind. I successfully managed to install xbmc following the tutorial: http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc

mcgyver83
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:35 pm

I followed the guide in the suggested in the link.
I edited the file /etc/default/xbmc to use "pi" instead of "xbmc" as user

I have this error:

[email protected] ~ $ xbmc-standalone Error: unable to open display :0 XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware Error: unable to open display :0 XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware Error: unable to open display :0 XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware XBMC has exited uncleanly 3 times in the last 2 seconds. Something is probably wrong

DirkS
Posts: 9734
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Followed the same guide and I don't have any problems.
Do you use xbmc-standalone or the auto start option?

Gr.
Dirk.

mcgyver83
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:40 pm

xbmc-standalone
Looks like something related to xserver but it is installed

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep "xserver"
ii  x11-xserver-utils                     7.7+3                              armhf        X server utilities
ii  xserver-common                        2:1.16.1-1                         all          common files used by various X servers
ii  xserver-xorg                          1:7.7+7+b1                         armhf        X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core                     2:1.16.1-1                         armhf        Xorg X server - core server
ii  xserver-xorg-input-all                1:7.7+7+b1                         armhf        X.Org X server -- input driver metapackage
ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev              1:2.9.0-2                          armhf        X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics          1.8.1-1                            armhf        Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server
ii  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev              1:0.4.4-1+b3                       armhf        X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-vesa               1:2.3.3-1+b3                       armhf        X.Org X server -- VESA display driver

DirkS
Posts: 9734
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Using standalone too.
I used it before and after I installed X and it worked both times.

Can't find any useful info about this error message.
Did you check the xbmc log to see if there is any more / better info?

Gr.
Dirk.

mcgyver83
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:30 pm

First thank you for you help and support.

I have to run xbmc-standalone wit sudo or without?
Because it will write xbmc.lo in different .xbmc/temp folder depending if I use sudo or not (is it right ?)

What's the difference between xbmc and xbmc-standalone?

I cleaned /root/.xbmc/temp and /home/pi/.xbmc/temp folders, run xbmc, xbmc-standalone, sudo xbmc, sudo xbmc-standalone but no new xbmc.log file is created in any folder but I still have

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/.xbmc/temp# xbmc
Error: unable to open display :0
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware

DirkS
Posts: 9734
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Don't think it's wise to use 'sudo'. I just log in with pi and start 'xbmc-standalone'.
Did you check if 'pi' is added to all the groups mentioned in the tutorial. Check with 'groups pi'.

I get the occasional 'crash' error message from xbmc and in my case it is put in the home directory (so that's /home/pi).
The regular log file is ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Gr.
Dirk.

mcgyver83
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am

Re: XBMC build instructions at Raspbian.org

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Pi is in all the required groups:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ groups pi
pi : pi adm tty dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users netdev input spi gpio
If I run "xbmc-standalone" I still have

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ xbmc-standalone
Error: unable to open display :0
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware
Error: unable to open display :0
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware
Error: unable to open display :0
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware
XBMC has exited uncleanly 3 times in the last 0 seconds.
Something is probably wrong
and no log in the .xbmc/temp folder :(

Return to “Raspbian”