cannot connect to WEP router

14 posts
by oakhilltop » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:51 am
I installed raspian on the B+ I just purchased. My laptop is running Linux Mint and is using 128 bit WEP key to connect. It is also set for open system.

But I cannot figure out how to get my raspberry pi to authenticate. It sees the wifi network and ssid, but the authentication fails.

Is there any info on how to connect to a WEP router? I don't want to change the router setup since many people have devices configured for it.
by ukscone » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:28 pm
try putting/adding this (with appropriate editing of course) to wpa_supplicant.conf

Code: Select all
network={
    ssid="myssid"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0=mywepkey
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
}
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by oakhilltop » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:56 pm
ukscone wrote:try putting/adding this (with appropriate editing of course) to wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
    ssid="myssid"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0=mywepkey
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

Thanks. I tried that, but it still does not authenticate.
wpa_supplicant.conf does have two lines at the start
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

My Mint laptop does not have a wpa_supplicant.conf file. I'm still confused by this. No other device has had issues connecting to our router.
by oakhilltop » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:02 am
I should add that this is a Cana Kit with a CKXW1000 USB wireless adapter.

Maybe I should try a different OS?
by DirkS » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:08 am
oakhilltop wrote:
ukscone wrote:try putting/adding this (with appropriate editing of course) to wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
    ssid="myssid"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0=mywepkey
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

Thanks. I tried that, but it still does not authenticate.
wpa_supplicant.conf does have two lines at the start
update_config=1

Did you add ukscone's code at the end wpa_supplicant.conf (replacing of course myssid and mywepkey with the correct values)?

Gr.
Dirk.
by oakhilltop » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:22 pm
I thought I had posted this last night, but it must not have made it through.

I had only restarted networking when I said it did not work. I then shutdown and restarted the pi and the wifi came up. It may have dropped once, but I did not have much time to use it last night, so I am not sure yet.

I appreciate the help.
by RichR » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:49 pm
I found this solution works, and of the multiple sites I've searched, it the only one to properly configure the wpa supplicant for WEP.
The crucial differences from posts on other sites is the following:
1) ssid value is in double quotes
2) wep_key value is without quotes and be sure to identify it was the key zero (using wep_key0)
3) Set key_mgmt to NONE
4) Most importantly, point the key index to 0 in wep_tx_keyidx=0
by sanb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 pm
This is the only page (I could find anyway, after many long hours of searching on the web) that clearly and correctly tells about how to set up WiFi on RPi to connect to a WEP-only router. I know it's old and should be upgraded etc., but that's a different question.

I am using RPi3's on-board WiFi and it finally worked. Thanks very much. Just in case it helps others, wpa_supplicant.conf that work for me on RPi3 is:

country=US
update_config=1
network={
ssid="YOURNETWORKNAME"
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0=YOURKEY
web_tx_keyidx=0
}

As noted earlier, ssid name is in double quotes and wep_key0 is without quotes (why?! :-)).
by DougieLawson » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 pm
What's preventing you from improving your network security with WPA or WPA2?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by sanb » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:09 am
DougieLawson wrote:What's preventing you from improving your network security with WPA or WPA2?

I am still using a router from 8 (may be 10) years ago. And that does not seem to have WPA or WPA2. So really only thing that's "preventing" me from improving security is some money....and laziness :-).

I quite like the idea posted earlier in this conversation of buying a more modern router and using the current one to give an extra access point -- with WEP of course -- to increase the range.
by DougieLawson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:30 pm
Send everything with WEP to the electrical equipment crusher. Simple.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by drgeoff » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:05 pm
Have a look at openwrt.org and dd-wrt.com to see if either of them can flash the router with a firmware that has WPA2.
by sanb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:20 am
drgeoff wrote:Have a look at openwrt.org and dd-wrt.com to see if either of them can flash the router with a firmware that has WPA2.

Thanks very much for this info (I had no idea of their existence!). In a quick visit to these sites, I did not find support for my particular modem. I will look more (but won't be offended if they don't support a 10 year old h/w). These are good sites to know anyway (for hackers like me).
by drgeoff » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:32 am
sanb wrote:
drgeoff wrote:Have a look at openwrt.org and dd-wrt.com to see if either of them can flash the router with a firmware that has WPA2.

Thanks very much for this info (I had no idea of their existence!). In a quick visit to these sites, I did not find support for my particular modem. I will look more (but won't be offended if they don't support a 10 year old h/w). These are good sites to know anyway (for hackers like me).

A modem-router is less likely to be supported than a router. The modem bit tends to have custom hardware and proprietary code for that. Routers (and the router part of modem-routers) are more generic and frequently use an embedded Linux.