plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: bash bug / shell shock now fixed on Raspbian

Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:48 am

Debian armel was what the Pi ran before raspbian existed. Afaict the raspberry pi foundation are no longer building armel images but they do seem to still to be providing updated kernel/firmware packages for it.

BillStephenson

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
Worked for me on the latest Raspbian.

Big thanks to all those who helped with this, including those here.

krusher

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:03 am

Thanks for posting these tips; I was able to upgrade just bash 4.2-4 on my armhf pi by doing:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
aptitude safe-upgrade bash
I'm running a custom kernel on my Pi since I'm using it as an NTP server. If I run the usual upgrade, it breaks lots of things that are not easy to patch. (I tried it once before). These two commands did the trick.

r3d4

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:05 am

krusher wrote:I'm running a custom kernel on my Pi since I'm using it as an NTP server.
As you are running your pi for NTP you might want to keep an eye on this thred
PSA - NTP vulnerability - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 36&t=94385
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

krusher

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:00 am

Thanks r3d4; that's a really recent bug find in ntpd and I too have it. I'll continue this on your link provided.

Richard-TX

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Yup.

I sat on it. Why? I didn't care and I still don't care. The way I see it if someone uses bash, they get everything they deserve.

I have no kind words for bash.

Anyone that works for me knows enough to never write a shell script in bash. Either use /bin/sh or use a compiled language.

nuff said.

jamesh wrote:
PeterO wrote:
Richard-TX wrote:I have known about the bash bug for quite some time..
And you didn't tell anyone ?
PeterO
Indeed. One of the worst security bugs ever (10 out of 10), in the code for 22 years, and you sat on it? The original report for this was 09/24/2014. if anyone knew about this from before that, well, not reporting it was practically criminal. Are you sure you knew about it?
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”