Jessie barebones image for server (Lessbian)

28 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by whoami » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:26 am
Edit 2014.10.12: the images are now available on http://lessbian.org
Edit 2015.01.13: New Image posted, Lessbian Raptor (high throughput, faster encryption, zram support, check my latest post in thread for details)

Just made a small but useful image of Jessie for Rpi (about 750MB when decompressed):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lessbian/files/lessbian-2014.09.11/

0. kernel: 3.12.28+
1. default password for root is 'raspberry'
2. includes hostapd, wpasupplicant, isc-dhcp-server, kismet, nmap and some other utilities
3. var is mounted as XFS, uses busybox syslogd (can be changed to default)
4. root is read-only by default
5. Includes driver for 8188eu (provided by supergordon in http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=610535#p610535)

Goal in making this image was to create something which can be a common starting point for server setups.
Burn to SD card, then edit /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with your SSID and password or connect through ethernet and ssh in. Suggestions to improve this image are welcome.

Enjoy!
Last edited by whoami on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
by whoami » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:17 am
Update, new version released to fix two problems in the previous image:

1. If dnsmasq, resolvconf, and squid3 are installed systemd enters a race condition which kills squid right after resolvconf update, and results are unpredictable. Considering how long squid takes to come up, it being killed and restarted twice during boot is undesirable.
    2. when kismet opens a monitor device, udev/systemd immediately rename it to something -- hard to track down or fix without writing tons of rules.
After doing some research and troubleshooting, I decided to rebuild the image by upgrading to Jessie packges and ignoring systemd. Essentially this is Jessie without systemd. Please give it a try, you will not be disappointed! Download it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lessbian/files/lessbian-2014.09.16/ (default root password: lessbian)

Features:
    0. Minimal surgery -- official image trimmed down and then upgraded to Jessie while preventing systemd packages
    1. Wireless power management off at kernel level (for those annoying cards that never obey orders)
    2. Hostapd drivers for RTL8192CU and RT8188EU, latest rt2800usb driver (doesn't fix the TX spam in kmesg but at least I tried), additional features for atheros cards
    3. Utilities bundled: nmap, kismet, hostapd, dnsmasq, tor, bootlogd, htop, mtr and some others
    4. /var/spool now mounts in extended XFS partition as proof of concept (squid3/polipo et. al.)
    5. Image fits within 1GB
    6. systemd not installed, udev sanity restored.
    7. root is now mounted rw, I've left read-only root upto the user's discretion, busybox-syslogd removed
by Shoka » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:41 pm
Thanks. Downloaded a copy, will try it out over the weekend.
Cheers Harry
by whoami » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:41 pm
Shoka wrote:Thanks. Downloaded a copy, will try it out over the weekend.

Thanks for trying it out. I've just uploaded an even trimmed down version, with kernel 3.16 and hostapd for both rtl8188eu and rtl8192cu: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lessbian/files/lessbian-tiny/ as before systemd is not included. Rootfs is little over 300MB as I excluded non-essential utilities.

Other kernel features enabled in this release include softdog module for watchdog, TCP congestion algorithm support, r/w support for UFS file system (for BSD buffs) and random number generation tools. The compressed image is 115MB, everything is kosher except for the kernel and rtl hostapd which can be recompiled by the user if needed.
by jamesh » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:51 am
Not entirely convinced the name of this distro works too well...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Joe Schmoe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:06 am
I think one of the goals of the Foundation should be (and is) to get girls interested in computing.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)
by DougieLawson » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 am
jamesh wrote:Not entirely convinced the name of this distro works too well...

He should change it to "Fewerbian" (since it has fewer pointless packages installed).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by jamesh » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:09 pm
Joe Schmoe wrote:I think one of the goals of the Foundation should be (and is) to get girls interested in computing.

Snigger.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.
by williew » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:21 pm
The sourceforge link is down.
by whoami » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:44 pm
williew wrote:The sourceforge link is down.

Apologies, just noticed. I've now hosted the images on their own website:http://lessbian.org/
Latest images are available created today.

kernel 3.16
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf is now a symlink pointing to /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf

So you no longer need a linux machine or ethernet ssh access to enable wifi. If you have windows, just burn the image on windows, copy or edit wpa_supplicant.conf in the boot directory, plug in the SD card and you're off!

Both images have hostapd for Edimax 7811 in /usr/local/bin and both fit inside a 512 MB sd card. Both have rng-tools, wireless-power off at kernel level, support for UFS, and softdog watchdog module + most firmware

MD5: d92bef4d543c3538e55b35bffafc1683 lessbian-tiny-2014.10.12.img.7z
MD5: 59bc933e5ad4a0ef8f950423628fbdb4 lessbian-full-2014.10.12.img.7z

lessbian-tiny is barebones
lessbian-full has nmap, aircrack-ng, kismet, reaver, screen, tor, tor-arm, dnsmasq, hostapd, links, htop, mtr-tiny, multitail, elvis-tiny, lsof, less installed.

All binaries are kosher from the raspbian repository (except for the kernel and rtl8192 hostapd -- which I compiled myself).
by blindpet » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:45 am
I'm liking this, 36MB RAM used on boot. The name is cool too, says what it is and pays homage to the LGBT community :)

Should I have any concerns about the wifi power thing? I plan on using this for a media server and will be using wifi.

Hardfloat?
by Joe Schmoe » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:18 am
A clarification, on the cost/benefit analysis of "Jessie":

1) Pro: VLC should work (or so I've heard). And, of course, by "work", I mean with hw acceleration.

2) Pro: The "fsck clear dirty bit on FAT" bug is fixed.

3) Con: systemd (which I refuse to use; yes, I've experienced it in Pidora - and it is every bit as bad as they say it is)

So, the relevant question is: How does Lessbian score on the above points?

by blindpet » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:38 am
I tried this an all seemed well, installing nginx worked but I can't start it, service always fails, this is on a fresh install.
by gkreidl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:20 am
Joe Schmoe wrote:A clarification, on the cost/benefit analysis of "Jessie":

1) Pro: VLC should work (or so I've heard). And, of course, by "work", I mean with hw acceleration.

3) Con: systemd (which I refuse to use; yes, I've experienced it in Pidora - and it is every bit as bad as they say it is)

1) presumably not, it has to be compiled with special options configured to use both the omx and mmal HW accleration.
2) yes
3) I've heard a lot about that, but never really anything substantial. This looks more like a religious warfare.

And more: The HW accelerated webkit-3 version will be missing; I'm quite sure that the collabora patches are not available for Jessie yet.

Same may be true for gstreamer-1.0 omx plugin. It's not part of the current Raspbian Jessie distribution as far as I know.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer
by Heater » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:42 am
You really should rethink your choice of name.
by whoami » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:18 pm
Heater wrote:You really should rethink your choice of name.

My naming was innocent at first, I added "less" and "*bian" to stress that it has fewer packages but after a few complaints I finally realized what it sounded like.

I have thought about it and decided against changing the name specially when sourceforge took down my images without forewarning. I then registered its own domain name http://www.lessbian.org. Think of it as the spiritual sibling of Pidora: http://trac.proximity.on.ca/projects/rpfr/ticket/313. I have lessbian-tiny and lessbian-full. Wait till I release lessbian-tight, that will be fun.
by whoami » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:30 pm
blindpet wrote:I'm liking this, 36MB RAM used on boot.

36MB? I think some of it is from /tmp mounted to RAM, can you check? In my installs I get about 17MB usage.

The name is cool too, says what it is and pays homage to the LGBT community :)

Thanks, finally someone who sees it as a positive.

Should I have any concerns about the wifi power thing? I plan on using this for a media server and will be using wifi.

The reason I removed wifi power is because many cards drop connection at times. If you have hostapd running and you disconnect from AP sometimes even with wifi-power off in /etc/network/interfaces, the connection dies. So I turned it off at kernel level but you can install a vanilla kernel by running rpi-update.

Hardfloat?

Only two packages in Lessbian are compiled by me: kernel and rtl hostapd. Both are compiled for hardfloat on a raspberry pi itself. Everything else is from rasbian servers.

Joe Schmoe wrote:A clarification, on the cost/benefit analysis of "Jessie":

All binaries are from raspbian repo, so if VLC acceleration is enabled in repo binaries, it should work here too. For #2, I have found it useful to mount /boot as ro (/etc/fstab) and set FSCKFIX="yes" in /etc/default/rcS. For #3, once you boot up, you can run "dpkg --list | grep systemd" and see nothing. Lessbian comes by default with the following in /etc/apt/preferences:

Code: Select all
Package: systemd
Pin: release *
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: systemd-sysv

Package: libsystemd-journal0

Package: libsystemd-daemon0
by whoami » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:33 pm
blindpet wrote:I tried this an all seemed well, installing nginx worked but I can't start it, service always fails, this is on a fresh install.

what is the error?
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:53 pm
A clarification re: VLC.

I generally assume that the smart people on this board have read all the same threads as I have, so I assume that the things that are common knowledge to me are common knowledge to most other people with whom I converse. Yes, I know this can be a dangerous assumption (Insert: Usual old joke about the word "assume"), but the alternative (having to spell each and every thing out each and every time) is much worse.

Anyway, there's a big long thread somewhere on this board about VLC, the gist of which is that although it is theoretically possible to obtain, configure, and build it with HW accel on current versions of Raspbian, it will never work (i.e., practice diverges from theory) for a variety of reasons. It is further alleged that these reasons disappear (or will disappear) once we move to Jessie, and that it will actually be possible to obtain, configure, and build VLC (with HW accel) on Jessie - and actually have it work (!). It is understood that the version in the repo will still be the old, broken version, and that this will continue to be a stumbling block for the less careful users, but at least it will (in practice as well as in theory) be possible for those with sufficient stamina and willpower to get and run a working version. That's my understanding anyway. In any case, it is the only reason why I'd be at all interesting in "upgrading" to Jessie (The other being the FSCK bug, but that I can live with, it is not a deal maker or deal breaker for me)

Note, BTW, that this problem of things in the repository being old/broken is not limited to VLC. I may yet get around to posting another item/thread about "xpra"…

by gkreidl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:31 pm
VLC: I cannot tell you for sure, that the version from the Jessie Raspbian repository does not include the Rpi OMX and MMAL modules. Someone has to test this. But from other statements I guess, that it's not enabled, because the maintainers don't want to include stuff specific to RPi alone (see the gstreamer-1.0 omx discussion).

Compiling a recent VLV version from the git repository with the right configuration options shouldn't be a problem, though, because all the package versions needed are new enough enough.

The version in the current Wheezy is not broken in any way, it's just rather old. The Rpi specific additions didn't even exist when it was frozen for stable devian release.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
by Joe Schmoe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:15 pm
gkreidl wrote:VLC: I cannot tell you for sure, that the version from the Jessie Raspbian repository does not include the Rpi OMX and MMAL modules. Someone has to test this. But from other statements I guess, that it's not enabled, because the maintainers don't want to include stuff specific to RPi alone (see the gstreamer-1.0 omx discussion)

In that other thread, you (yes, you) said:

by gkreidl » 14 Nov 2014 02:44

In a few months, Jessie will become the stable release (it has been frozen a few days ago). Then we'll get a much newer version of VLC anyway. And if it doesn't include the HW acclereation for the RPi, we can compile it and create a .deb package.

Which is very good news. I look forward with great anticipation to having a working VLC.

Too bad it still seems like the one in the repo - that newbies will get unless they know exactly how to get the good one (and God help them if they actually have to compile it themselves!) - will still be broken.

Anyway, that's good news for users of the "mainline" Raspbian/Jessie. But, to get back to the topic of this thread, the question is: WIll Lessbian include a working VLC? If so, sign me up!

by whoami » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:23 pm
Joe Schmoe wrote:WIll Lessbian include a working VLC? If so, sign me up!

At present I cannot promise to compile a deb package specially for Lessbian. It seems like a viable project and I'll give it a shot in my free time. My focus was to provide a small working image that people can grow into whatever they like without getting stuck in systemd.

But I can promise that it is a working Jessie. So once you do an apt-get update and install necessary packages, you will be able to build it yourself.
by rleyden » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:18 pm
Joe Schmoe wrote:WIll Lessbian include a working VLC? If so, sign me up!

I loaded lessbian-full-2014-10-12 without problem.
Then, adding vlc from the repository as
apt-get install vlc browser-plugin-vlc

loads an amazing 3 pages of dependent packages and 0.5 Gb of files.
I'm running headless so I tried transcoding with vlc, .mkv to mp4, and it froze without outputing any data to the target file. (I don't have a MPG license on this Pi. Does that matter?)
But vlc --list is interesting.
i@lessbian:~$ vlc --list | grep omxil
VLC media player 2.2.0-rc1 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.0-pre4-97-g8a35de1)
  omxil                  Audio/Video decoder (using OpenMAX IL)
  omxil                  Video encoder (using OpenMAX IL)

On an unrelated note, the system seems vaguely sluggish. Anyway, thanks for the very nice preview of Jessie.

Rich
by gkreidl » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:27 pm
Does it also contain the new MMAL plugin for the RPi?

If you really want to test something you have to select the right plugins (omxil etc), otherwise only software decoding will be used. You'll find the details in my 'Compile VLC tutorial' (1st. posting).
by whoami » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:41 am
rleyden wrote:loads an amazing 3 pages of dependent packages and 0.5 Gb of files.

Yea :) anything x-org/video related will need to be installed from bottom up.

rleyden wrote:On an unrelated note, the system seems vaguely sluggish.

Thanks for trying it out, both images have rng-tools enabled. I bundled it with these images to allow better random numbers for key generation and like. If you disable it you might notice a speed improvement. Let me know if it worked. Also check the last line of /etc/sysctl.conf.