fruitoftheloom

Re: Webkit upgrade 1.8.1-3.4 > 2.4.1-1 breaks things

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:49 pm

asb wrote:To be totally clear, there is a difference between pure Raspbian wheezy (as maintained by plugwash), and what is distributed to users in official Foundation SD Card images. It's hoped there are very few issues left due to upgrading these packages, but please do report them here or on the blog post (and NOT on the Raspbian bug tracker).
OK asb libwebkit update has broken CSS support as per title of this thread :shock:
Retired disgracefully.....

gkreidl

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:44 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
asb wrote:To be totally clear, there is a difference between pure Raspbian wheezy (as maintained by plugwash), and what is distributed to users in official Foundation SD Card images. It's hoped there are very few issues left due to upgrading these packages, but please do report them here or on the blog post (and NOT on the Raspbian bug tracker).
OK asb libwebkit update has broken CSS support as per title of this thread :shock:
I cannot confirm this. I've run some CSS3 animation tests from the link above in kweb (using libwebkitgtk1) and the kweb3 (using libwebkitgkt3) and they are working in both versions.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:18 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
UPDATE: have done some more testing running CSS animations in IceWeasel, then trying on the Webkit Browser some work some do not, therefore it is likely bad coding by developers

I give up and I am embarrassed so will now disappear down a black hole :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

barisione

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi, I worked on the new browser release for Raspbian.
I'm sorry if anything broke, but we had to update a few dependencies to get a modern browser with fast video support and other features to work.
Before releasing this into the Raspbian repo we and the RPi foundation tested it and tested other programs as well. We fixed all the problems we found. We haven't tested all the available programs in Raspbian because the list is just huge.

The only regressions I'm aware off at the moment are the wrong colour when using the system not in 16-bit mode and gcc 4.7 not being parallel installable with 4.8. I will try to get both fixed by next week.

Can you please explain me what are the other problems you found? If you want you can email me at [email protected].
You mentioned something about the browser being less responsive, but from out tests the browser is way more responsive under load. Can you provide more details please?

Sorry again for causing any problem! I hope everything can be fixed in a few weeks.

gkreidl

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi barisione!

I'm still working on finding bugs. One of the most important things is, that all GTK+2.0 applications are throwing tons of warnings and also critical error messages.

The warnings look like this:

Code: Select all

(lxpanel:3345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-can-change-accels after class was initialised 
The critical errors come from openbox and also from applications:

(openbox:3340): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 4 was not found when attempting to remove it
(kweb3:3551): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 6022 was not found when attempting to remove it
Sometimes this leads to crashes, but I'm not sure when, yet.

If you use LXappearance to set another default font size, it only affects GTK+2.0 applications, but no GTK-3.0 apps any more.

Browser engine: The loading of images in stripes can lead to long delays. Go to vimeo.com, click on a promoted video. There's a "noisy" background on the video page, which takes ages to load. And vimeo (HTML5) videos don't play at all.

If I'm playing a youtube video in Minimal Kiosk Browser (webkitgtk3 version) and click the "Home" button (or navigate to any other place), it crashes with a segmentation fault. This does not happen in epiphany, so you must have found a work-around, but this should be caught within the engine.

Sometimes omxplayer does not work any more after playing videos within the browser and I have to reboot to get it working again, but I'm not sure yet, when this exactly happens.

I'll send you more by email as soon as I have compiled it in a more systematic way.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

barisione

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:38 pm

gkreidl wrote: The warnings look like this:

(lxpanel:3345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-can-change-accels after class was initialised 
Weird! Those applications use gtk 2 (which we didn't touch) and that warning comes from gtk.
gkreidl wrote:

(openbox:3340): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 4 was not found when attempting to remove it
(kweb3:3551): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 6022 was not found when attempting to remove it
Sometimes this leads to crashes, but I'm not sure when, yet.
I think that that's just a warning that was added recently to glib to highlight bad use of the API, but the behaviour should not have changed (apart for the critical warning on screen).
gkreidl wrote: If you use LXappearance to set another default font size, it only affects GTK+2.0 applications, but no GTK-3.0 apps any more.
Do you mean that *before* it was changing the font for both gtk 2 and 3 apps? :-O
I have no idea how it could do that.
gkreidl wrote: Browser engine: The loading of images in stripes can lead to long delays. Go to vimeo.com, click on a promoted video. There's a "noisy" background on the video page, which takes ages to load. And vimeo (HTML5) videos don't play at all.
Vimeo videos not working is due to a change on their servers and broke android support as well. We are trying to fix it.
We have implemented hardware support for image loading, but it wasn't ready for the release as it was buggy. Hopefully soon the decoding will be mainly offloaded to the HW so it will be faster than before.
gkreidl wrote: If I'm playing a youtube video in Minimal Kiosk Browser (webkitgtk3 version) and click the "Home" button (or navigate to any other place), it crashes with a segmentation fault. This does not happen in epiphany, so you must have found a work-around, but this should be caught within the engine.
We found YouTube to be basically unusable on the Pi (for instance comments taking ages to load didn't help) so we added some site-specific hacks to YouTube to make it work better.
gkreidl wrote: Sometimes omxplayer does not work any more after playing videos within the browser and I have to reboot to get it working again, but I'm not sure yet, when this exactly happens.
I think that, when we try to play something and an error occurs, we may be leaking some OMX resources. We have a bug open for that.
gkreidl wrote: I'll send you more by email as soon as I have compiled it in a more systematic way.
Thanks!

gkreidl

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:04 pm

I think that most (or all) GTK+2.0 applications depend on glib ang glib object instepction (girl..). And these have been upgraded.

Yes, in the past GTK+2 and GTK+3 apps were both affected by changes in LXappearance.

Did you put the youtube workarounds into the engine or into epiphany?

BTW, vimeo videos work well with my old method in Minimal Kiosk Browser: I you click "try anway" the video links are sent to omxplayer(GUI) and that works (or click the play icon in the toolbar that calls my HTML5 video extractor and also uses omxplayer).

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:06 pm

The vimeo change affects playback of HTTP Live Streaming. Were you using the plain .mp4s in your kiosk browser?

gkreidl

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:19 pm

asb wrote:The vimeo change affects playback of HTTP Live Streaming. Were you using the plain .mp4s in your kiosk browser?
Two ways: If Javascript is disabled you get a direct link (try anway) to an mp4 file. All audio or video mime types are sent directly to omxplayer(GUI) in kweb.

Second method: I'm extracting the HTML5 video sources (Play button in the tool bar) and send them to omxplayer(GUI) directly. I also get a link to an mp4 file here.

tvjon

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:19 am

I find that with lots of web pages, epiphany saving the page (via settings->Save As) to /tmp does save the page, then immediately quits epiphany.

Saving to /run/shm works ok.

Also, after posting via Epiphany, as I'm doing now, sometimes causes a flickering "loading http://www.raspberrypi.org/" at bottom left & right of screen.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:33 am

tvjon wrote:IAlso, after posting via Epiphany, as I'm doing now, sometimes causes a flickering "loading http://www.raspberrypi.org/" at bottom left & right of screen.
Yes it is stuck trying to load the webpage, if that happens I have found opening another tab solves the issues, but I only keep 3 Tabs open at most ;)

tvjon

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:43 am

3, really?

I use Dillo 3.0.4, luakit, & Minimal Kiosk Browser.

Usually I have between 8 & 16 tabs open in those, mostly without problems. Apart from features, they are all as fast in operation as epiphany. Epiphany will load a hotmail session too, unlike the others. On various SD cards, epiphany's initial load time is the slowest. Doubtless it will improve.

Muximize

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Allright, seems the dust has settled down a bit.

I fully apt-get upgraded Raspbian on my Pi, and updated kweb to 1.5.4. I created this simple CSS animation test:

<!doctype html>
<html>
	<head>
		<title>csstest</title>
		<style>
			@-webkit-keyframes blink {
				0% { opacity: 1.0; }
				50% { opacity: 0.0; }
				100% { opacity: 1.0; }
			}

.block {
				-webkit-animation: blink 1s linear 0s infinite;
				width: 200px;
				height: 200px;
				background-color: #FF0000;
			}
		</style>
	</head>
	<body>
		<div class="block">
		</div>
	</body>
</html>
When I run it with kweb the animation works, but with kweb3 it doesn't, the red block just looks frozen.

Does it also do this in the new Web browser? (can't test that easily myself, hard to reach embedded Pi without mouse or keyboard plugged in)

gkreidl

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Same in epiphany. I'll send this example to Marco Barisione for further testing.

Muximize

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Any progress or news on this issue? With kweb3 version 1.5.5.1 there are still no CSS animations. On regular kweb they do work, but they seem to be more choppy then before the big Webkit upgrade.

gkreidl

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Muximize wrote:Any progress or news on this issue? With kweb3 version 1.5.5.1 there are still no CSS animations. On regular kweb they do work, but they seem to be more choppy then before the big Webkit upgrade.
No news. I haven't got a reply to my latest email. And no updates until now.

Muximize

Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Hey Gkreidl, did you already hear from Marco Barisione on this issue?

Btw, thanks for your great work on the Minimal Kiosk Browser! Kweb (not 3) is running excellent in my application :)

gkreidl

Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Muximize wrote:Hey Gkreidl, did you already hear from Marco Barisione on this issue?

Btw, thanks for your great work on the Minimal Kiosk Browser! Kweb (not 3) is running excellent in my application :)
Not recently. Marco has tried to fix a dependency issue and Emanuele is working on the iframe bug (which I have removed from kweb3 by disabling fast scrolling); some things seem to have been fixed like the audio crash, but no upgrade has been pushed to the foundation repository yet. I hope we'll see some changes before Christmas.

Return to “Raspbian”