maxwelltl

Loading Pycharm

Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi I am pretty new to raspian and the raspi so please be gentle. My end game is to get Pycharm loaded and running on my B+ and have it available to all users. The program cannot be loaded with Apt-Get. The instructions on the product page are very vague, "Download the tar file, unpack it, run Pycharm.sh from /bin in the directory you installed it."

Not being a raspian guru, I was not sure where to install it and how to go about it. I read that the /opt directory is an OK place. So I placed the tar file there and unpacked it. It created a directory called "pycharm-community-3.4.1" and under that it created several directories one of which is "bin" and that is where the "pycharm.sh" file resides. I think that all looks OK.

When I try to run "pycharm.sh" from the command line I get "command not found" I also tried running it from the pycharm-community-3.4.1 directory and get the same result.

So that is where I am at. I am looking for some very basic help on setting up Pycharm to run on raspian. I appreciate any guidance those who have Pycharm up and running might be able to provide.

Regards,
Tom

gkreidl

Re: Loading Pycharm

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:09 pm

This is proprietary software and I don't believe they offer an ARM version.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

maxwelltl

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:22 am

I understand . Thank you for the information. I installed Adafruit's WebIDE and am pretty happy with it. It at least has a debugger. The visualizer is pretty good as a learning tool.

diederik

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 am

maxwelltl wrote:When I try to run "pycharm.sh" from the command line I get "command not found" I also tried running it from the pycharm-community-3.4.1 directory and get the same result.
But when you go into the bin directory and run it (likely as "./pycharm.sh") it does work.
If you add "/opt/pycharm-community-3.4.1/bin" to your PATH, you can probably run it from any location.

riklaunim

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:21 pm

It's vastly better to run big IDE on a PC or laptop that have the resources for running it smoothly ;) Some time ago when I tried PyCharm didn't run correctly on Odroid X2 ARM.

clashcityrocker

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:17 am

Pycharm 4.0.4 community edition runs acceptably on the RPI2. I'm running it using remote X window to my Windows machine, I suspect it would be even better ran locally.

ibrahimansari

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:45 pm

clashcityrocker wrote:Pycharm 4.0.4 community edition runs acceptably on the RPI2. I'm running it using remote X window to my Windows machine, I suspect it would be even better ran locally.
Great! Finally I can code on my Pi. I could code with IDLE, but it it is so basic, it only has syntax highlighting! I am accustomed to auto completion and other features which are just not available in IDLE, and will never be. PyCharm is my favorite, and now my Pi 2 can use it!
I is the master of Linux, Windows and the computer realms.
But always with a Pi(e). ;)

ibrahimansari

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:39 am

ibrahimansari wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:Pycharm 4.0.4 community edition runs acceptably on the RPI2. I'm running it using remote X window to my Windows machine, I suspect it would be even better ran locally.
Great! Finally I can code on my Pi. I could code with IDLE, but it it is so basic, it only has syntax highlighting! I am accustomed to auto completion and other features which are just not available in IDLE, and will never be. PyCharm is my favorite, and now my Pi 2 can use it!
Update: PyCharm works like a charm on the Pi 2. File watcher fails to start and GTK+ theme slows the IDE, but if you choose IntelliJ or Darcula themes, it works pretty fast.
Note: When you execute PyCharm for the first time and it asks you if you had a previous version of PyCharm and want to import from it and you give it the answer, PyCharm does not load automatically for some reason even though it should. On the terminal, hit Control + C to kill PyCharm if it is running, and then relaunch PyCharm from the terminal. Smooth sailing after that!
I is the master of Linux, Windows and the computer realms.
But always with a Pi(e). ;)

Fernand

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Could anyone post step by step instructions? Please.
I tried downloading PyCharm but...
I don't really know what OS I have to choose for download and if I can download the package to the Rbp or to another computer and put in the SD card...
Many thanks
Fer

Nfarrow

Wed May 16, 2018 5:04 am

How to install PyCharm​ on the PI
So first you will need the most updated version of java to work on the pi.

sudo apt-get install dirmngr
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv EEA14886
gpg --export --armor EEA14886 | sudo apt-key add -

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
#add the two lines below

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
sudo apt install oracle-java8-set-default
java -version

Next installing PyCharm

-download the installation file directly from the Pycharm website (JetBrains). It will be a tarball, i.e., a file ending in ".tar.gz". https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/downl ... tion=linux
- Extract the file to a folder of your choice.
- Browsing through the extracted files and folders, you will find a folder named "bin". Inside "bin" you will find a file named Pycharm.sh
- Using your terminal window, go to the "bin" folder and launch the Pycharm application by typing: sudo ./Pycharm.sh
Twitter: @farrownick
Instagram veggievampire
I own a lot of Pis....

Return to “Raspbian”