rpdom

Re: apt-get upgrade taking forever!

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:49 pm

NormanDunbar wrote:I'm seeing a message on screen from time to time that's telling me that this update is getting download speeds of 1.6 bytes per second!.

CTRL-C the dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get purge wolfram*
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Everything now updates at around 3-4 Mb/S (Megabytes). That's better - but what if I needed Wolfram stuff?
Removing a package won't change the download speed, just the amount to download and the installation time once it has finished downloading.

Martin Frezman

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Actually, it could - and since OP has reported that it did, either it has or he's lying. (I doubt it's the later).

I think that wolfram comes from a different repository than (most of) the rest of the stuff. I've observed that the download speed changes when it is doing wolfram.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

rpdom

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:Actually, it could - and since OP has reported that it did, either it has or he's lying. (I doubt it's the later).

I think that wolfram comes from a different repository than (most of) the rest of the stuff. I've observed that the download speed changes when it is doing wolfram.
It comes from the main RPF repo, the same as all the Raspberry Pi specific packages. Admittedly that may not be as fast as the Raspbian mirrors, but it shouldn't be that slow.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ apt-cache policy wolfram-engine
wolfram-engine:
  Installed: 11.0.1+2017031701
  Candidate: 11.0.1+2017031701
  Version table:
 *** 11.0.1+2017031701 0
        500 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie/main armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Maybe this thread is relevant w.r.t. to recent issues (cf. much older posts)?:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=180461
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

NormanDunbar

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Evening rpdom,

I left my dist-upgrade running all morning and most of the afternoon yesterday. It stuck on the wolfram-engine package and it was making several hundred "get" requests to archive.raspberrypi.org. From time to time a message appeared telling my that the down load speed was 1.6 bytes per second. Not good for a 240 mb package!

I gave up in the end and purged that package as I don't need it. On restarting, download speeds, as reported by dist-upgrade were far far fasted and everything after wolfram updated in a few minutes.

So had I needed wolfram, I would have spent a good few hours more at 1.6bytes per second to get the latest updates.

Cheers,
Norm.
Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Why did Tarzan never have a beard?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Nope, this wouldn't have anything to do with raspbian.org, since this package comes from raspberrypi.org. This issues could have been on the mirror's end or on your end, or somewhere in between. There's nothing that can be done to make sure that 100% of downloads run at full speed from all locations through all routes at all times, but I believe Mythic do a great job serving the files.

Restarting the download or removing the package is a viable solution if that happens. If it's more than a rare occurrence, then it might be worth logging the IP it was downloading from and posting the traceroute and all the information you can get.

Milliways

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:43 am

NormanDunbar wrote:Evening rpdom,

I left my dist-upgrade running all morning and most of the afternoon yesterday. It stuck on the wolfram-engine package and it was making several hundred "get" requests to archive.raspberrypi.org. From time to time a message appeared telling my that the down load speed was 1.6 bytes per second. Not good for a 240 mb package!

I gave up in the end and purged that package as I don't need it. On restarting, download speeds, as reported by dist-upgrade were far far fasted and everything after wolfram updated in a few minutes.

So had I needed wolfram, I would have spent a good few hours more at 1.6bytes per second to get the latest updates.

Cheers,
Norm.
I have found recent updates fail because of wolfram, and as it is rarely used put on hold with:-

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark hold wolfram-engine

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:00 pm

rpdom wrote: It comes from the main RPF repo, the same as all the Raspberry Pi specific packages.
AIUI the raspberry pi foundation repo serves small files directly but under some circumstances redirects large files to a third party CDN. I'm not 100% sure on what the threshold is but it could explain the discrepancy between wolfram and most other rpf packages.

Return to “Raspbian”