cerealbox

Like Raspbian, but for desktops.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 pm

I've been playing with my Raspberry pi with Raspbian for a little bit now and I liked the OS so much I decided to install Linux for my desktop as well. I installed Ubuntu having had it highly recommended and god is it ugly and awful! It's nothing I liked about Raspbian. Raspbian has a nice, clean interface, the file system is simple and logical, it's not full of bloated software I have no interest in using. Despite Raspberry pi being for education and having a colorful console, it feels much more adult to me. I looked online for info on Linux distributions and there is a lot to digest. I guess the obvious choice would be to install Debian, but before I did I thought I'd ask you guys for what you would recommend.

riklaunim

Re: Like Raspbian, but for desktops.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:17 pm

You are probably referring to the desktop Ubuntu uses - Unity. LXDE is in Lubuntu and XFCE is in Xubuntu - which I use and recommend. Something more than XFCE is Cinnamon - found in similar LinuxMint. There is also Kubuntu with KDE4, but that's rather totally different than XFCE/LXDE more minimal approach. Using Mint or Ubuntu family gives you access to many packages and applications as well as immense source of problem solutions as you can google for "ubuntu" and not "linux" with your query (and it works) ;)

If you want a really clean system done by you then there is ArchLinux (or Gentoo) where you start with a minimal system with no desktop and install whatever you want and nothing more. The problem is that you will have to go to the Arch wiki on and on as going from minimalistic core to full system isn't short or easy ;)

rpdom

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Raspbian is very closely based on Debian, but you have to be aware that there are several different desktop environments available.

Debian by default uses either Gnome3 (which I think is horrible and won't work on my PC at all), or xfce4 which I like. Raspbian uses lxde which is also available in Debian, just a quick "apt-get install lxde" away.

DirkS

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:26 pm

If you want to stay close to Raspbian then I would choose Debian with LXDE.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 pm

+1 Lubuntu 14.04 Long Term Release
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

cerealbox

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:55 pm

I really enjoyed the terminal that came with my pi and how you could install stuff through it. I also liked how there weren't a million folders and programs installed. Is that really only because raspbian is supposed to be so basic, or is it a feature of Debian? I'll check out *buntus and Arch. Thanks so far! I'm thinking I might actually just install raspbian, why not.

riklaunim

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Raspbian works only on Raspberry. Debian is a base for it, as well as for Ubuntu. Most of the packages can be found in every of those distributions. x86 Ubuntu/Debian distributions will also have software that can't work on ARM (Raspberry). You can install that easily, it doesn't have to be preinstalled to be cool ;)

diederik

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 pm

DirkS wrote:If you want to stay close to Raspbian then I would choose Debian with LXDE.
+1
Raspbian consists of pure Debian packages, but recompiled to make the best use of the Raspberry Pi hardware.
Only in rare cases does a raspbian package differ from the Debian package.

So if you install Debian with LXDE you'd get something very close to what you get with the raspbian images that can be downloaded on raspberrypi.org/downloads.
It is quite likely that you'd have to install additional packages though to match the package selection from raspbian. But you can add as much or as little as you want and thereby avoid bloat.

Heater

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:28 am

It's a good idea to avoid Ubuntu and use Debian Wheezy on your desk top. That way things are as similar as possible on desktop and Pi and you don't have to worry about the quirks of some different system. Just makes life smoother all round.

If you want a minimal Debian Wheezy install on a PC I should start with a small network install image on CD or DVD, https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/. I generally opt to not install any desktop packages at installation time.

When that is up and running you can add LXDE "apt-get install lxde" to make it just like a Pi.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:38 am

I dunno, recently upgraded the old Ubuntu installation on my fathers Acer Revo to LUbuntu, seems very very similar to LXDE on Raspbian. Runs a bit slow though, but I think there is something amiss somewhere - it was a traumatic upgrade due to something he did which broke the original Ubuntu. Need to spend a bit of time on it to sort it out.

But like I said, very very similar to Raspbian.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Tom_A

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 pm

I went through the same process of learning on the Raspberry Pi and then setting up an Ubuntu computer. The Raspberry Pi was great for initially learning about Linux, but was not powerful enough to run all the programs that I wanted to run at the same time. I currently use my Ubuntu install to run a LEMP web server with wordpress, improved forked daapd, cups print server, and xbmc. The Raspberry Pi's are still being purposed to run XBMC (RaspBMC), and one runs Motion as a security camera as well.

My initial response to the Unity desktop was that it was ugly, however one thing it does have going for it is that some elements are larger and therefore work well for when you are sitting further away from a large monitor which suits HDTV usage. I eventually decided that what I really didn't like was the color choices of the interface. I've installed some alternate themes and am using something that has better color choices.

The terminal is available in all versions of Linux. Click in the upper left and search for it. You can right click the icon once it's launched and choose to leave it available in the launcher.

I have been getting good performance running on a core i3 NUC.

Alexander Brown

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 am

I often use Ubuntu off a USB (when out and about) and although unity like metro & ribbon takes a bit of getting use to I have found it does make it easy to get to things but as others are said that is *buntus like gnome Ubuntu ext
I am

Return to “Raspbian”