Toad King

Kernel messages spam

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 pm

I've been using Hexxeh's image for some time now, but there's a big problem with it I can't seem to fix. Even after boot and klogd is started, my console is still spammed with a bunch of kernel messages. This only got bad when I tried using my Wifi dongle, which spams it nearly constantly, even when not using Internet. Is there some way to fix this?

Toad King

Re: Kernel messages spam

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Nevermind, found a fix. I had to add "quiet" to the end of the kernel command line. It silences all the kernel messages on boot, but once klogd kicks in, any serious kernel messages get printed to the command line, while the rest of the verbose ones are silenced.

dhardingham

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Please could you explain this in more detail. I keep getting messages about my mouse disconnecting. It always reconnects, but the console messages are very annoying. It's almost impossible to type anything on the console, because the mouse disconnect messages occur every 30 seconds or so.
David Hardingham

bob_binz

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

You need to edit the cmdline.txt file in the /boot folder. Probably easiest to do from the command line on the Pi itself:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
and add "quiet" (without quotes) to the end of the line. 'Ctrl-X' to exit, 'Y' to save, then reboot the Pi

dhardingham

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:32 pm

Many thanks for the additional details.

Still can't get used to using nano. Too much time spent working with the vi editor over the past 30 years :D
David Hardingham

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Personally I can't stand vi but if you want it we have at least vim and nvi and possiblly other variants in our repo.

mpthompson

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 am

dhardingham wrote:Still can't get used to using nano. Too much time spent working with the vi editor over the past 30 years :D
I too have been using vi going on close to 30 years now. If you don't have Vim installed (it's part of the Pisces image of Raspbian), you can do the following command to install a near perfect vi clone:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vim-tiny vim-common
Then just use 'vi' as you would on any Linux/Unix system.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”