thom_thumb

How can I create my own Raspbian-based image?

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 am

Title says it all..

I understand it has something to do with debootstrap, but it would be great to see the command line/ config/ whatever that is required i.e. for Hexxeh's raspbian image.

Thanks!

mpthompson

Re: How can I create my own Raspbian-based image?

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:45 am

That's a pretty big question to answer in a forum.

If you really want to go the debootstrap way, I learned how to do it from reading the documentation on the following page:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i ... 03.html.en

It's oriented toward i386 installs, but the instructions work for ARM based installs as well.

If you want a minimal Raspbian image that you build up from scratch, I would recommend using the Raspbian installer which is documented here:

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

It takes a while, but in my experience it does indeed work well.

mshadel

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I just did a minimal install following the wiki instructions and it worked perfectly. After updating the software and installing my ssh keys I copied the SD card with 'dd' and zipped it up so I can restore it easily if I manage to screw up the software. Which I will sooner or later. The installation process took several hours so I'd rather restore from an image than reinstall.

mpthompson

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Yeah, the installation time will probably be an issue until we can get some progress made on the SD card performance. Hopefully the Raspberry Pi Foundation has a crack team on that right now. :) Until then, we'll have to be content with an installer that at least does work, albeit slowly.

Zinahe

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:22 pm

mpthompson,

I'm sure this will be something that many people (including myself) would want to do; and I think this question will keep on popping up in the future. I definitely would like to build an image of a minimal Raspbian system (preferably cross-compile a blob on my x86 PC), dd it to an SD card, and boot my R-Pi with it just for the heck of it. Kind of a rite of passage exercise. After all the R-Pi s supposed to be a learning platform, right?

If you (plugwash or hexxeh) have a few notes to share on this topic, it would be a great addition to the wiki.

Cheers

mpthompson

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Zinahe wrote:I'm sure this will be something that many people (including myself) would want to do; and I think this question will keep on popping up in the future. I definitely would like to build an image of a minimal Raspbian system (preferably cross-compile a blob on my x86 PC), dd it to an SD card, and boot my R-Pi with it just for the heck of it. Kind of a rite of passage exercise. After all the R-Pi s supposed to be a learning platform, right?
Zinahe, there are extensive notes on the wiki to create a minimal system using the installer. Using a x86 system to create an SD image for Raspbian using debootstrap is fairly difficult, error prone and the end result would be nearly identical to what you would get using the installer without selecting any additional packages to be installed. I would refer you to the two previous links I provided -- the first explaining how to go about this with debootstrap and the second using the Raspbian installer.

I presume you are asking for Raspbian specific instructions using the debootstrap method. This would take at least several hours to put together and I'm not certain what benefit would be gained. It's really not a method intended for beginners and not something I would even encourage experienced Linux users to do as there are other options available. If you are so inclined, I would encourage you to figure out how to use debootstrap from the linked Debian documentation and document the process in our Wiki. If you get stuck, I would be happy to answer questions in this thread that would hopefully get you past any problems you might encounter. I'm not an expert on debootstrap, but I have used it to bring up other ARM based systems from x86 Linux system. Perhaps my experience doing so is why I'm suggesting you steer away from doing so yourself unless you want to purely learn from the experience.

john.mills

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:49 am

Hi Mike,

One other question, I take it that you are also compiling the mate applications?

http://mate-desktop.org/applications/

John

john.mills

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:00 am

Apologies, I posted in the wrong topic.

Return to “Raspbian”