zackj

RAM and Torrenting

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:08 am

I have a 32GB flash drive storing all of my torrents connected to my Raspberry Pi. Seeding using transmisison-daemon works fine.

Downloading... is a very different story. If the file size is less than the RAM available (ex. 100MB), everything works fine. If the file is very large (ex. 4GB), the transmission web interface will stop loading, and there will be little to no memory available. Eventually transmission will error saying that there isn't enough free space.

I'm suspecting that my flash drive is being slow (because both USB and Ethernet share bandwidth?), and that write caching is at fault. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I've tried restricting the download speed to 1kBps, but this did not help.

welshwizard

Re: RAM and Torrenting

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

i get the exact same issue.
often the PI locks up and i have to reboot the system.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:09 pm

That sounds like bug in Transmission more than anything else. Perhaps it has a memory leak of buffers it is using to store downloaded data? Or perhaps a side effect of how torrenting works perhaps.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ski522

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 am

What file format is your flash drive using? Trying changing it to ext3 as I suspect it's fat32 right now.

zackj

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Yes, it is FAT32 right now. I will reformat it to EXT3 when I get a chance. I see the problem even if I'm just trying to SFTP a large file to it, using FileZilla, so I'm not sure if it is just a Transmission problem.

ghans

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Well , if it's FAT32 the problem with torrents larger than
4 GB has nothing to do with RAM. It's a well-known limitation
of FAT32.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ryandigweed

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:33 pm

zackj wrote:Yes, it is FAT32 right now. I will reformat it to EXT3 when I get a chance. I see the problem even if I'm just trying to SFTP a large file to it, using FileZilla, so I'm not sure if it is just a Transmission problem.

Yes that's a limitation of fat32 , I have transmission running on my router through openwrt and that usually locks up on download greater than 4gb. I'm using ext3 on that

zackj

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:50 am

OK, now I tried it with a different EXT4 flash drive, and that has the same problem.

Return to “Raspbian”