Efcis

Re: ALSA on Raspbian

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:35 pm

@Dom @kadamski
Actually, I had to recreate a complete SD from scratch :-( I wonder if I could modify/rename start.elf from the raspi itself in use ?

Anyway, I can now clearly read 11025 and 22050 samples/s files on the external analog output. \o/ Congratulations to both of you.

I'm still facing underruns in the project exposed above. With lower rates, the frequency of the underruns is lower (abt every 10 sec with 22050 bandwidth). But I don't know yet if ALSA (or the sound driver) is to blame, or the rtl-sdr code ? I will follow closely your next actions on ALSA and report accordingly.

@Dom : If possible, what are the best sampling rates, or multiple of, to use ?

Thanks again !

kadamski

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Efcis wrote:@Dom @kadamski
Actually, I had to recreate a complete SD from scratch :-( I wonder if I could modify/rename start.elf from the raspi itself in use?
You can modify all the files. Remember not to plug power off just after write. Do proper shutdown so the file is fully written to the SD card.

KenT

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:04 pm

kadamski wrote:There is probably problem with " characters. Replace them typing them manually.
Retyped the whole thing and then Aliens and sndarray (pygame example) started with no error messages. However it didn't make any difference to the delay even after a complete reboot.

I used the ~/.asoundrc method

Using wheezy raspbian.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

kadamski

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Icm not surprised, for some reason it doesn't work for me too. I wonder why it's working for Dom.

wildehobbs

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks for the interest and all the work being put in on the ALSA sound.

I am running the raspbian wheezy distribution downloaded from the official raspberry pi site.

aplay -l returns:

Code: Select all

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: Device [USB Sound Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
and aplay -L returns

null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default:CARD=ALSA
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
    Default Audio Device
default:CARD=Device
    USB Sound Device, USB Audio
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Device
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
I have no asound.conf

Using speaker-test can get sound to play reasonably from the USB sound, but not from the bcm2835 - the program runs but no sound. I have checked with alsamixer and there is a level set.

Using arecord on the usb device it seems to work for a while and then the USB device disconnects itself (according to alsamixer which I had open at the same time in another terminal. arecord displays:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ arecord -vv -Ddefault:1  t2.wav
Recording WAVE 't2.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (48000, sformat=U8)
Converter: linear-interpolation
Protocol version: 10002
Its setup is:
  stream       : CAPTURE
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : U8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 8000
  exact rate   : 8000 (8000/1)
  msbits       : 8
  buffer_size  : 2730
  period_size  : 170
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 170
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 2730
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 178913280
Slave: Route conversion PCM (sformat=S16_LE)
  Transformation table:
    0 <- 0*0.5 + 1*0.5
Its setup is:
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : U8
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 8
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  avail_min    : 1024
  start_threshold  : 6
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  boundary     : 1073741824
Slave: Direct Snoop PCM
Its setup is:
  format       : S16_LE
  channels     : 2
  msbits       : 16
  start_threshold  : 6
  stop_threshold   : 16384
Hardware PCM card 1 'USB Sound Device' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  format       : S16_LE
  channels     : 2
  msbits       : 16
  tstamp_mode  : ENABLE
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 1073741824
  appl_ptr     : 0
  hw_ptr       : 0
#+                                                 | 01%overrun!!! (at least 1451085701.643 ms long)
  state       : XRUN
  trigger_time: 1342903835.910559000
  tstamp      : 30158.438102190
  delay       : 2560
  avail       : 170
  avail_max   : 3840
#+                                                 | 00%^C
Aborted by signal Interrupt...
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ 
The recorded sound was terrible when played back via aplay.

The application I was trying to get to work is called wspr - the source can be downloaded with:

svn co http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/wsjt/branches/wspr

wspr essentially takes in audio from a radio receiver tuned to specific frequencies, listens for two minutes then decodes the signals, displaying the callsign and location of the signal.
It can also output a signal to the radio to be transmitted and then hopefully decoded by others around the world, with the aim of establishing how good radio signal propagation is between different areas.

kadamski

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:56 pm

wildehobbs wrote: Using speaker-test can get sound to play reasonably from the USB sound, but not from the bcm2835 - the program runs but no sound. I have checked with alsamixer and there is a level set.
Which output are you using? HDMI or analog? Did you read and try tips from http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Sound ?
wildehobbs wrote: Using arecord on the usb device it seems to work for a while and then the USB device disconnects itself (according to alsamixer which I had open at the same time in another terminal.

The recorded sound was terrible when played back via aplay.
Ins't this power issue? Did you try to connect your USB sound card using powered USB hub?
wildehobbs wrote: The application I was trying to get to work is called wspr
So you are using it for caputre only or also for playback? Does this application support choosing ALSA device it should use?

PaulCheffus

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi

I have had exactly the same problem. Dom suggested I tried a longer wav file and then I got sound. It would appear that the first second and a half is not currently played via HDMI for whatever reason.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

kadamski

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:07 pm

That's a good tip too. Dom fixed this issue just today but it's not in the repository yet.

Bob_Tee

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:30 pm

I googled this thread because of a problem and found my own callsign (G3WKW) quoted, so there are a couple of others out there trying to get WSPR to work. I thought I had good success with DarkBasics minimal image but then found that my decoding success seemed to drop. I tracked back and thought this coincided with installing lighttpd ( I want to build a web interface for the nogui version). removed it and started to decode again. But then the success drops again and close inspection of the waterfall it looks a bit like a net curtain is across it. The audio quality appears to degrade after 30 minutes to an hour. The nature of RF propagation makes this hard to ascertain, but today I ran wspr on the Pi and on Windoze 7 though as I did not have a splitter handy I used a microphone over the speaker for the Windoze! Sure enough they started decoding similarly but the success and signal to noise on the Pi is degrading after about 15 minutes. I suspect the sampling is not 48000 though everything I check says it is. I did try the official image but could not get the sound to work at all and as I was keen to get on with wspr interface I decided to revert to what worked and wait for someone to resolve the issues. Then I found perhaps there are issues there too!

Bob
G3WKW

ferrymanr

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 am

Bob_Tee wrote:I googled this thread because of a problem and found my own callsign (G3WKW) quoted, so there are a couple of others out there trying to get WSPR to work. Bob
G3WKW
Hi Bob This evening I managed to get WSPR working on the new Raspbian wheezy image. I had problems getting all the required packages with a long 'apt-get install' so did them one by one, otherwise I used your procedure on the Setup2 page. My tiny USB sound dongle works OK in spite of a lot of ALSA messages in the terminal window at start up. This dongle has a mic mute button and I found I have to mute-unmute it before it works. Audio displayed in WSPR is reasonably clean with weak lines every 100Hz and am copying and decoding stations OK. Level indicator sometimes stops working but starts again after a while. Switches to outputting a tone during transmit OK. Speed seems OK and RPi is only shows heavy CPU load during short decode period. Same sort of speed as under Windows. Left it running for a couple of hours and ran again several times without problems. Only problem at the moment is getting rig control working. Seems to be some sort of hamlib interface as it calls rigctl. I installed libhamlib and utils and it now runs rigctl but error message comes back that there is a bad parameter so cannot change bands or operate PTT via cat cable. Not tried upload yet.
Dick G4BBH

newdendrite

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 am

@dick, I'm also very interested in getting WSPR working on the RPi. Could you tell me what USB audio device you are using?
Thanks,
Michael KD4SGN

ferrymanr

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:39 am

Mike
My audio device is a cheap one from eBay for a couple of bucks including postage. The original listing has gone but a current item number is 221032911698. It is a small black one with volume up/down buttons, mute buttons and an led. All it says on eBay about this little one is:-

LED indicators: Microphone-Mute Status, Activity
USB2.0 Full-Speed ( 12Mbps ) Specification
USB HID Class Specification 1.1
USB Audio Device Class Specification 1.0. USB bus-powered, no external power required.
This is USB 2.0 External 7.1-Channel Audio Sound Card Adapter. It can work with either desktop or laptop. it extends your stereo speaker or earphone to 7.1 channel environment, giving you high quality sound enjoyment.
Connectors: USB Type A, Stereo output jack, mono microphone input jack
Functions keys: Microphone-Mute, Speaker-Mute, Volume-Up and Volume-Down
Plug and Play. No drivers required for Windows 2000 / XP / Server 2003 / Vista, Linux, Mac OS
Compact, portable, convenient to carry
Chipset: CM119

I would rather have used my Tapco LINK.usb that I use with windows but it takes too much current and has no external power socket. It is recognised but fails to run properly.

Dick G4BBH

Montala

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:34 am

ferrymanr wrote:My audio device is a cheap one from eBay for a couple of bucks including postage. The original listing has gone but a current item number is 221032911698. It is a small black one with volume up/down buttons, mute buttons and an led.
I am no audio or sound 'expert' and am getting a bit lost about what is being discussed here, and the need for such a device... which does look rather 'cute, I think!

Is it only required to play audio through any external speaker or amplifier system, or only for for receiving and transmitting signals on the amateur radio short wave bands (which I gather is what WSPR is all about anyway).

Are you saying also that this little device (one one like it) does work with the latest Raspian on a RasPi or not?

Thanks! :)

Bob_Tee

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:06 am

Dick,
I too had 50Hz lines and rigcntl problems. I will update my setup notes page later today with the details as being boringly off this thread.
But the cheap audio USB I have contains no significant decoupling capacitance. The blinking LED is quite audible with low input and high gains. I have fitted a 100uF 6.3 volt capacitor across pins 1-4. In my googling I found a Russian site where the lack of DC blocking on the output was raised as an issue when using headphones (what got hot was lost in translation!). I had wondered if it was the cheap dongle and serial interface on same hub that dragged the audio down, which is why I retested that same hardware on my Windoze 7 room heater. Actually I might soak test that again for several hours but I am sure it is a software issue within the image. Annoying that it starts off working fine and then very slowly degrades, just like propagation.

ferrymanr
The reason for the USB dongle is to get audio IN to the pi. A precise 2 minutes of sound has to be recorded and then a 200 Hz band 1400-1600 is analysed for tones which have very small frequency shift keying applied. The analysis is very processor intense, hence the need for the HardFloat. We do use the audio out as well if we choose to take our turn in transmitting. This is usually a long term unattended activity as there is interesting paint to watch dry somewhere else!

Bob
G3WKW

ferrymanr

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 am

[quote="Montala).

Are you saying also that this little device (one one like it) does work with the latest Raspian on a RasPi or not?

Thanks! :)[/quote]

The device does work with the RPI and seems to work ok directly on the RPi socket - sound cards don't like going through an external hub. Cheap and cheerful but does work and is fairly small. None of the very small devices are likely to be perfect to the audiophile.

Dick

Bob_Tee

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:57 am

Dick,
I should add that I had not tried my USB dongle direct, but always ran it through a powered Hub. I have not checked the current drawn but as it is physically warm after a while running I felt it was unlikely to meet the Pi limited supply. I guess I should check. But it works fine through the hub and with the Prolific (fake) driven Cat lead on the same hub when on a single USB port of my Windoze machine. The hub is powerd from a separate pure DC (battery derived) supply so no 50Hz lines (while the isolating transformer box is carefully positioned! ) I am running that configuration on 40m now to soak test that hardware before I bang my head against the Pi again.

For rigcntl edit wspr.py line 1742 or thereabouts

options.rignum.set(int(t[:4]))
change the 4 to 6 to include the full rig number after the 2 leading spaces!

If you want to contact me off this group use g3wkw.bob at gmail.com

Bob
G3WKW

mad-hatter

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:16 am

Hello,

I've got a problem with playing sound.

Using Raspian and VLC Media Player, using phono output.

Plays *.wav files fine.
Won't play *.MP3 files, appears to play but no sound output.

Yes, I'm new to linux.

Can somebody suggest what I'm doing wrong.

Regards

kadamski

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 am

Right now I have no idea what can be wrong so you can hear .wav files but not .mp3. Could you run vlc from terminal and post all the messages it outputs to the terminal here? I'm don't know vlc that much, could you test the same mp3 with mplayer (from commandline) and also paste all the output here (if it's not working)?

mikerr

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:45 pm

dom wrote:Agreed. There are a few unrelated bugs going on here. A separate github issue for each is probably useful.
(and maybe a spindle one for asb about including a suitable /etc/asound.conf to get the plug format conversion working).

I've stopped it blocking when VC audio buffer is full before we start playing, and I've increased audio output buffer size to 256K.
I've also stopped hdmi from discarding samples written before the start (causing first second of audio to be lost on HDMI - analogue already had this fix).
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3669512/temp/start_alsa.elf

It does fix the 11025 samplerate hang for me.
I can confirm that copying the above fixed the issue for me too (on wheezy)

sudo cp start_alsa.elf /boot/start.elf
sudo reboot
..and now can play 11025 Hz .wavs without freezing:

sudo aplay /usr/share/scratch/Media/Sounds/Animal/Horse.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/scratch/Media/Sounds/Animal/Horse.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
though there is a few second pause after playing the sample, which doesn't occur on higer bitrate .wavs:

sudo aplay /usr/share/scratch/Media/Sounds/Animal/Duck.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/scratch/Media/Sounds/Animal/Duck.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

mad-hatter

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Hello kadamski,

I ran cvlc and mplayer form a terminal.

Both play *.wav files but don't play *.mp3.

If someone can explain how to pipe the output to a .txt file
I tried, but the files were empty. (not the right way?)

Commands
clvc filename1.mp3
clvc filename2.wav
mplayer filename1.mp3
mplayer filename2.wav

All the files I've tried play fine in Windows 7, so I think the files are ok.

Regards

kadamski

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:38 pm

mplayer -v  FILE.MP3 >logfile.txt 2>&1
should work. You can also just copy/paste content of terminal. Plase use -v option to mplayer.

mad-hatter

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Hello kadamski,

Found a way, copied the terminal and pasted into leafpad

This is the output:-

pi@raspberrypi ~/Music $ cvlc dark.wav
VLC media player 2.0.2 Twoflower (revision 2.0.1-453-g40d9fef)
[0x1605608] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[0x15fdf50] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server
connection failure: Connection refused
(played OK)

pi@raspberrypi ~/Music $ cvlc dark.mp3
VLC media player 2.0.2 Twoflower (revision 2.0.1-453-g40d9fef)
[0x2a6510] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[0x23a2a8] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection
failure: Connection refused
[0x23a2a8] alsa audio output error: cannot commit hardware
parameters: Invalid argument
[0x23a2a8] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/
dsp)
[0x23a2a8] main audio output error: no suitable audio output
module
[0x221b78] main decoder error: failed to create audio output

pi@raspberrypi ~/Music $ mplayer dark.wav
MPlayer svn r34540 (Debian), built with gcc-4.6 (C) 2000-2012
MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your
remote control.
Playing dark.wav.
libavformat version 53.21.0 (external)
Mismatching header version 53.19.0
Audio only file format detected.
Load subtitles in ./
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1536.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 192000-
>192000)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
waitpid(): No child processes
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Internal error
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: 6.6 (06.6) of 185.0 (03:05.0) 0.5%
MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio
A: 6.6 (06.6) of 185.0 (03:05.0) 0.5%
Exiting... (Quit)
(played OK)

pi@raspberrypi ~/Music $ mplayer dark.mp3
MPlayer svn r34540 (Debian), built with gcc-4.6 (C) 2000-2012
MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your
remote control.
Playing dark.mp3.
libavformat version 53.21.0 (external)
Untitled 2 / 2
Mismatching header version 53.19.0
Audio only file format detected.
Load subtitles in ./
Requested audio codec family [mpg123] (afm=mpg123) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
libavcodec version 53.35.0 (external)
Mismatching header version 53.32.2
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 128.0 kbit/4.17% (ratio: 16000-
>384000)
Selected audio codec: [ffmp3float] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG
layer-3 audio)
waitpid(): No child processes
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Internal error
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
[AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Invalid argument
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
[AO SDL] Samplerate: 48000Hz Channels: Stereo Format floatle
[AO SDL] using aalib audio driver.
[AO SDL] Unsupported audio format: 0x1d.
[AO SDL] Unable to open audio: No available audio device
Failed to initialize audio driver 'sdl:aalib'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video
Exiting... (End of file)
pi@raspberrypi ~/Music $

Regards

kadamski

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:18 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 25#p125513 Take a look at this post and put configuration I posted there in /etc/asound.conf file (you will need to create this file as root). This should do the trick.

mad-hatter

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Hello kadamski,

Thanks, worked a treat.

Now I can play Bessie Smith all day long!.

Regards

raspy_rodent

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 am

Hi kadamski,

your /etc/asound.conf also solved my problems in using asterisk + usb soundcard and 'console dial' using chan_alsa. Before i got tons of 'ERROR[1907] chan_alsa.c: Read error: Resource temporarily unavailable' in asterisk.

Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Frank

Return to “Raspbian”