mazternhell

How to hide/remove Menu Bar and Undecorate on Startup

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:09 am

Noob here looking for help. Is there a way to hide/remove the menu bar (the one with the FILE EDIT VIEW menu on top of the window) and undecorate windows automatically at startup? Im using Raspbian Wheezy. Ive been searching everywhere and trying stuff for two days now and I haven't made any progress. Help please or a point to the right direction would be appreciated.

Geek15

Re: How to hide/remove Menu Bar and Undecorate on Startup

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:11 am

By un-decorate do you mean change the theme? for example the colour? To change your theme you can right-click on the desktop pager (the thing with your two desktops on your task bar). Then click 'desktop pager settings'. it will take a moment to load. Finally click on 'theme' and have a look through them. there is an option to install new themes but i don't know how to do that.

mazternhell

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:22 am

Hi! thanks for the reply.
When you open a window for example pcmanfm file manager or leafpad. At the title bar if you press mouse right click it would bring up a context menu and one of the options is undecorate (other options maximize iconify layer etc...). So what this does is hide the title bar so the menu bar (the one with FILE EDIT GO HELP etc... which i still need to hide/remove) is the only one left at the top of the window. Ill try and paste a picture you could better see what I mean. Right now ive read some articles about openbox, im still trying it out. All your help and suggestions are appreciated.

mazternhell

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:01 am

Okay so the OpenBox edit was able to remove the Title Bar for Thunar. So what I did was this:

1.) Go to /.config/openbox/ and open lxde-rc.xml with nano or leafpad
2.) At bottom of you would see there a section with <applications> written there
3.) I added the following lines:

<applications>
<application name = "thunar*"
class = "Thunar*"
type = "normal"
<decor> no </decor>
<shade> no </shade>
<focus> yes </focus>
<desktop> all </desktop>
<layer> above </layer>
<iconic> no </iconic>
<fullscreen> yes </fullscreen>
<maximized> true </maximized>
</application>
</applications>

3.) Reboot, now everytime I open thunar it undecorates automatically

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/ ... vs24kr.jpg

I still need help with the menu bar if anybody has encountered the same problem and solved it?

ReBoot

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:04 pm

What about writing a program that does what you want it to do and just doesn't have a menu bar?

355/113

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:15 am

@mazternhell: try this:
The following option instructs the window manager not to decorate the window (i.e no title bar and window buttons, plus no borders)

Code: Select all

root.overrideredirect(1) # or True
A false argument restores the decorations.

I got lucky searching for the same topic; found it here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/597 ... kinter-tcl

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”