mpthompson

Re: New Raspbian "Pisces" Image

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:45 pm

ejsolutions wrote:Poor Pi has taken ages to run the updates and does appear to be stable, with minimal hardware attached.
Yeah, I'll need to create an updated Raspbian image to avoid this issue. The issue is that Debian Wheezy is pushing a LOT of changes to our repository and a very large number of packages have been updated over the last three weeks. This leads to a very long 'apt-get upgrade' process to bring packages up to date. Once the Debian Wheezy freeze takes place tomorrow (June 30th), things should settle down pretty quickly (within a week or so) and I'll go ahead and create an updated Raspbian Pisces image that will avoid the long 'apt-get upgrade' process.

ejsolutions

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Well, all I can say is that you're doing a super service to the community, with this distro.
After muchos hours of tinkering, I now have the Pi running using a D-link DWL-G122 (Ralink RT73usb) connection, with wicd installed to control it. The wireless protocols certainly put a bit of overhead on the CPU

Gotta say, that through your efforts, it's gone pretty smoothly (though I'm somewhat a seasoned *nixxer). Seeing all the armhf specific files that were installed shows the amount of effort required.

My X knowledge however is negligible and I struggle to get a remote console, so have to refer to dmesg to get clues as to what is happening. Now that I've got wireless, I can move RPi closer to the TV and at least get a composite output. This way I can check that the wireless mini-keyboard/trackball actually does something.

(I'm using tightnvcserver and Remmina to connect to X)

Thanks again.
EJ

mpthompson

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 pm

A new Pisces R3 images is available for download:

http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages

It's been over a month since I posted the Pisces R2 image and so many packages have changed since then that it has been taking a very like time to perform an "apt-get dist-upgrade". This newer Pisces R3 image is essentially the R2 image with an "apt-get dist-upgrade" and an "rpi-update" which will hopefully save new users of the image some time when updating their packages.

I create the images manually and it's a bit of a tedious process and some mistake can always be made. Let me know if there are any problems.

Mike Thompson

Montala

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks Mike... I have just started to download it now, but it looks as if your server is really being hammered at the moment.

I am downloading at 32Kb/sec and being told that I have 3 hours left!

Any chance of any 'mirrors', do you think?

Looking forward to trying it out though! :)

Edit: Speed has now gone up to 100 KB/sec which is a bit better as I normally only get about 180 anyway... the joys of rural living! :)
Last edited by Montala on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ejsolutions

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks for the update. I'll download now and upload to one of my servers...

(Edit: getting around 3-500Kb/s download.)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 pm

ejsolutions

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 pm

plugwash wrote:I've just added a torrent at http://archive.raspbian.org/images/rpi_ ... ip.torrent
Fantastic! That'll save my bandwidth allocation. ;)

ejsolutions

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:43 pm

A few observations..
Is there any particular reason for including DECnet in init.d?
Perhaps we could keep NFS disabled by default but include something like tightvncserver instead.
Contrary to what other have written, I don't really see any real benefit in having a relatively large swap file by default and 128Mb should easily suffice, given that we don't really want to use the SD card for this purpose. On the same subject, I intend to look at compressed swap, when I get a spot of 'free' time. Do you see this as being a viable default?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:58 pm

sorry it seems there were some problems with the bittorrent tracker, it should be ok now.

mpthompson

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:26 am

ejsolutions wrote:A few observations..
Is there any particular reason for including DECnet in init.d?
Perhaps we could keep NFS disabled by default but include something like tightvncserver instead.
Contrary to what other have written, I don't really see any real benefit in having a relatively large swap file by default and 128Mb should easily suffice, given that we don't really want to use the SD card for this purpose. On the same subject, I intend to look at compressed swap, when I get a spot of 'free' time. Do you see this as being a viable default?
The Pisces images were produced using an earlier version of the Raspbian installer (which is based on the Debian installer). What it includes is basically whatever the Debian installer thinks should be installed on a minimal Debian system (although I did give it a larger swap partition).

It's looking that the Foundation is getting close to releasing their own Raspbian based image very soon. Ostensibly, the Foundation image should be nearly identical to their Debian Wheezy beta image, but it will have all the armhf goodness the Raspbian users have enjoyed over the last few months. Once the Foundation image is generally available, I'll probably stop producing the Pisces images as they'll be redundant. I believe that Foundation image should have many of the features you asked for above -- I do know the swap will not be a partition, but rather a file whose size can be adjusted as needed.

If I do continue to produce Raspbian images, they'll probably be special variants built around special features I'm interested in such as MATE or XBMC. But they probably won't be general purpose images. I hoping that the Foundation will be fulfilling that function with their reference image based on Raspbian. I'll try to incorporate your suggestions above as I do realize some of the Debian defaults don't really make sense for the Raspberry Pi.

ejsolutions

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:58 am

Feedback appreciated. Yes, I keep forgetting about using a swap file (even though it's used on my VPSes) - what did I say about old skool habits? Windoze users are much more familiar with a file, rather than a partition. ;)

ejsolutions

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:18 pm

In my messing about with various images and SD cards (and not paying attention), i've gotten somewhat confused as to with images are on what card. Do you have a file that indicates the base image that has been used eg. pisces_r3? If not, then I best get in the habit of creating a release.txt on my cards. ;)

mpthompson

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:00 am

ejsolutions wrote:In my messing about with various images and SD cards (and not paying attention), i've gotten somewhat confused as to with images are on what card. Do you have a file that indicates the base image that has been used eg. pisces_r3? If not, then I best get in the habit of creating a release.txt on my cards. ;)
Good suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have such a file within the image itself. I should have fixed this as I made this exact mistake myself just a few days ago.

Return to “Raspbian”