MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:49 pm

freaked wrote: here's the info.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.0.7-v7+ #801 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 30 18:38:23 BST 2015 armv7l

GNU/Linux
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04e8:342e Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 7392:a822 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd
pi@raspberrypi ~ $

thanks for the help
freaked
You can download and install a driver using commands

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.0.7-v7-801.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.0.7-v7-801.tar.gz
./install.sh
MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

freaked
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:17 pm

MrEngman

Thank-You for your help! Everything installed beautifully!

diederik
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:12 pm

MrEngman wrote:OK, the way I compile modules is I clone the raspberrypi linux source git and the raspberrypi firmware git.
Do you use the '--depth' parameter with 'git clone'?

I'm trying to compile a module for 3.18.11-v7+ #781 (kernel+firmware from raspberrypi-bootloader package).
This is what I did:

Code: Select all

zgrep '* firmware as of' /usr/share/doc/raspberrypi-bootloader/changelog.Debian.gz | head -1
  * firmware as of 6cc27e02dde4f1e02cfddb3d0f23d54be87680cb
Then looked at https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... a/git_hash which showed a git hash of bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51.

But when I do

Code: Select all

git clone --depth=5000 https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux rpf-linux-kernel
cd rpf-linux-kernel
git checkout bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51

I get "fatal: reference is not a tree: bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51"
Also fetching or checking out the rpi-3.18.y branch fails since for some reason it doesn't see that branch (but it is listed with "git ls-remote")

diederik
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:18 am

diederik wrote:
MrEngman wrote:OK, the way I compile modules is I clone the raspberrypi linux source git and the raspberrypi firmware git.
Do you use the '--depth' parameter with 'git clone'?

I'm trying to compile a module for 3.18.11-v7+ #781 (kernel+firmware from raspberrypi-bootloader package).
...
But when I do

Code: Select all

git clone --depth=5000 https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux rpf-linux-kernel
cd rpf-linux-kernel
git checkout bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51

I get "fatal: reference is not a tree: bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51"
Also fetching or checking out the rpi-3.18.y branch fails since for some reason it doesn't see that branch (but it is listed with "git ls-remote")
Answering my own question:
The problem is indeed with the '--depth' parameter.
Without it the checkout does work and it also see the other branches.

EDIT: I just found out that there are 25858 commits since the bb6b4b6b331680bed807605685572d727638bb51 commit, so the 5000 value could also have been the problem.

diederik
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:51 pm

freaked wrote:sigh...i wish there was a newbie tutorial for this
I've been trying to write one (WIP here: https://github.com/diederikdehaas/cknow ... berrypi.md).
When I tried to apply it to the kernel from raspberrypi-bootloader version 20150421-1 (uname -r = 3.18.11-v7+) the code compiled cleanly, but at the very end I got this error message:

Code: Select all

  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
FATAL: parse error in symbol dump file
scripts/Makefile.modpost:90: recipe for target '__modpost' failed
make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
Makefile:1384: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/diederik/rpf-linux-kernel'
Makefile:1466: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
But I'm not sure whether I made an error in my tutorial or not.
When looking at the history of Module7.symvers I noticed that there was mention of kernel 3.18.10 and 3.18.12, but not 3.18.11 :!:

If someone could clarify whether I'm doing something wrong and/or my tutorial is wrong, I'd appreciate that.

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Diedrik,

Sorry for not responding to your posts earlier.

First the --depth option. It seems as you've found using the --depth parameter limits the branch you can access to the main current branch, rpi-4.0.y currently. To get round this you can clone the complete linux repo, but this does download a substantial amount of code. It is possible to reduce the amount downloaded by specifying the branch to clone using the -b option and the --depth option.

As an example to clone the current rpi-3.18.y branch you could use git clone --depth 500 -b rpi-3.18.y https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux linux-3.18 and it downloads approx 140MB. Cloning the current rpi-4.0.y branch can be done using git clone --depth 150 -b rpi-4.0.y https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux linux-4.0 again downloading about 140MB.

You could create a seperate directory for each branch and only clone the necessary depth for each branch saving a considerable amount of disk space. However, if you have the space cloning the whole repo can be rather more convenient.


Now compiling the module. The main issue as far as I'm concerned is getting the correct source. I read your tutorial and to begin with was rather confused as I use a totally different method but after going through it several times it started to connect. I now cross-compile my modules on a PC running Ubuntu 14.0.2 but compiling on a Pi is similar. I cross-compile because one or two of the modules crashes the kernel on a Pi 2B if they are compiled on the Pi depending on the wifi module being used. Cross-compiling and they don't cause the kernel to crash. I've never been able to figure out why this happens.

I created a directory, src, in my home directory to hold the source files and I cloned the raspberrypi linux, firmware and tools repos. I cloned the tools repo as this includes the version of gcc used to compile the raspberry pi kernels. I added the tools directory tree to the $PATH so when compiling the modules it uses the compiler in the tools directory. e.g. /home/richard/src/tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

I have also copied the module sources to the src directory so my directory tree looks something like:-

Code: Select all

/home/pi/src/
            |- linux
            |- firmware
            |- tools
            |- 8812au
            |- 8188eu
            |- 8192eu
            |- mt7601
            |- mt7610
To compile I use a script which compiles all the drivers for a specific version/build of raspbian for both the Pi 2B and the previous versions of the Pi. The script defines the basic kernel version and build used to generate the tar.gz driver filename the driver and install files are saved as, and uses the firmware and kernel commit-ids for the firmware and kernel version the modules are being compiled for.

I also have an alternative script which only uses the hexxeh/rpi-firmware commit-id and that is used to get the kernel version the modules are being built for and the necessary Module(7).symvers files as required. Specifying a particular commit-id will compile a specific module for both the A/A+/B/B+ and the 2B, otherwise it will compile modules for a list of commit-id's defined at the end of the script.

My basic script uses the following to set up the kernel ready for compiling the modules for the Pi A/A+/B/B+

Code: Select all

cd /home/richard/src/firmware
git checkout firmware-commit-id
cd /home/richard/src/linux
# clean the kernel source before checking out the commit
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- mrproper
git checkout linux-commit-id
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- mrproper
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- bcmrpi_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- modules_prepare
cp ../firmware/extra/Module.symvers .
For the Pi 2B it uses

Code: Select all

cd /home/richard/src/firmware
git checkout firmware-commit-id
cd /home/richard/src/linux
# clean the kernel source before checking out the commit
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- mrproper
git checkout linux-commit-id
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- mrproper
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- bcm2709_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- modules_prepare
cp ../firmware/extra/Module7.symvers Module.symvers
To compile each module I use

Code: Select all

cd /home/richard/src/rtl8812au
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- clean
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j6
I use exactly the same commands to compile all the modules I compile.

The other requirement is the build symlink to point /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build to the kernel source. Also when compiling on a Pi it is necessary to also create a symlink on the A/A+/B/B+ sudo ln -s /home/pi/src/linux/arch/arm /home/pi/src/linux/arch/armv6l and on the Pi 2B sudo ln -s /home/pi/src/linux/arch/arm /home/pi/src/linux/arch/armv7l but doesn't appear necessary when cross-compiling. Your tutorial mentions another symlink but I've never used that and don't actually understand why it may be needed.

I can also compile the modules on my Pi 2B using the commands

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/src/firmware
git checkout firmware-commit-id
cd /home/pi/src/linux
# clean the kernel source before checking out the commit
make mrproper
git checkout linux-commit-id
make mrproper && make bcmrpi_defconfig && make modules_prepare && cp ../firmware/extra/Module.symvers .
for modules on the Pi A/A+/B/B+ and for the Pi 2B the commands

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/src/firmware
git checkout firmware-commit-id
cd /home/pi/src/linux
# clean the kernel source before checking out the commit
make mrproper
git checkout linux-commit-id
make mrproper && make bcm2709_defconfig && make modules_prepare && cp ../firmware/extra/Module7.symvers Module.symvers
And compile the modules using commands

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/src/rtl8812au
make clean && make -j6
These are the same as used for cross-compiling but without the text ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- in each line


Regarding the error you get at the end of the module compile, I don't think I've seen that before and I don't know why it happens so I can't help there unfortunately.


Here's some pointers to some scripts I use. Cross-compile scripts https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... 805-all.sh and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... er-test.sh. Pi compile script https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... er-test.sh

wifi-compiler-test.sh and pi-wifi-compiler-test.sh are similar and are run defining the driver to compile and a hexxeh/rpi-firmware commit-id. eg wifi-compiler-test.sh 8812au d1f47370bc for the 8812au driver and version 4.0.8(-v7)+ #805. They also generate install files and a tar.gz containing the drivers and other files as necessary. cross-compile-805.sh compiles drivers 8188eu, 8192eu, 8812au and mt7601 drivers for the pi's A/A+/B/B+ and Pi 2B for 4.0.8(-v7)+ #805 and generates the tar.gz files with predefined install file and other files as needed.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

diederik
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply MrEngman :D
I'll go over it and improve my guide accordingly.
MrEngman wrote:Regarding the error you get at the end of the module compile, I don't think I've seen that before and I don't know why it happens so I can't help there unfortunately.
The error was caused by a non-matching Module(7).symvers, taking a newer one solved the issue.
I think the procedure itself (regarding that) was solid, but (only?) failed for the specific example I used. Normally you'd find a commit id where the message is "kernel: Bump to <kernel-version>" and then you'd get the correct Module(7).symvers files.
But in the example I used I arrived at commit id 6cc27e0, while 1 commit later (ddb87b6) did have the proper message and Module(7).symvers files.

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:15 am

diederik wrote:Thanks for your detailed reply MrEngman :D
I'll go over it and improve my guide accordingly.
MrEngman wrote:Regarding the error you get at the end of the module compile, I don't think I've seen that before and I don't know why it happens so I can't help there unfortunately.
The error was caused by a non-matching Module(7).symvers, taking a newer one solved the issue.
I think the procedure itself (regarding that) was solid, but (only?) failed for the specific example I used. Normally you'd find a commit id where the message is "kernel: Bump to <kernel-version>" and then you'd get the correct Module(7).symvers files.
But in the example I used I arrived at commit id 6cc27e0, while 1 commit later (ddb87b6) did have the proper message and Module(7).symvers files.
I haven't had that problem with 6cc27e0. All the drivers I've compiled for that commit work fine.

The related commits I've used for 3.18.11+ #781 are;
raspberrypi/linux - bb6b4b6b33
raspberrypi/firmware - 6cc27e02dd
hexxeh/rpi-firmware - 5b0cbedacf


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nventuro
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Hello MrEngman,
For the last couple of hours, I've been trying (with little success) to get the Linksys WUSB6300 to work, both on a RPi B+ and a RPi 2. I must've done the whole process about 10 times by now, and I'd really appreciate a helping hand, since I've absolutely no idea what's wrong with my setup.

Here's what I did (on both boards). I've tried this both with the WUSB6300 removed and plugged in.
- Burn 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.img on the SD card (this is 3.18.11+ #781, and 3.18.11-v7 #781)
- Boot on the board, expand filesystem, reboot
- With a working WLAN adapter (a TPLink 722N), connect to my WLAN and follow the steps you provided (wget, tar, install). Everything seems to work just fine. I've also tried executing the install and depmod commands manually, and I'm 100% sure I downloaded the correct version of the drivers.

From this point on:
- Running insmod works, and I can see from the output of lsmod that the module is indeed loaded (but not used, so "Used by" says 0)
- The output of lsusb is still the same as before (though I'm not sure it should change). The adapter is listed as "Linksys", with id 13b1:003f.
- iwconfig only lists lo, eth0 and wlan0, which is the interface used for the TPLink adapter. If I boot with the TPLink removed, there's no wireless interface (just lo and eht0 show up).
- After I reboot, lsmod no longer lists the driver. I can load it successfully with insmod, but doing sudo ifup --force (for both wlan0 and wlan1, which are the only wireless interfaces listed in /etc/network/interfaces) outputs "/sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start. run-parts: /etc/network/ip-pre-ip.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1".
- iw dev only lists the entry for the TPLink (when it's removed, iw dev outputs nothing).

I've also tried running rpi-update beforehand, and using the drivers for the 4.x.x kernel, but nothing changed.

Additionally, on some of my attempts the RPi started getting stuck during boot, usually after trying to get wpasupplicant to run (and failing), on the "Configuring network interfaces" line, and sometimes on the "Cleaning up temporary files" line, right after that.

These are the contents of /etc/network/interfaces (which I haven't changed manually at any point):

Code: Select all

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

auto wlan1
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Thank you so much for your time.

Broccoli76
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi MrEngman
Would it be possible to get this driver compiled also ?

PI B+
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -r
3.18.11+

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

And also for:
4.0.9+

Best Regards Mathias

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:04 am

nventuro wrote:Hello MrEngman,
For the last couple of hours, I've been trying (with little success) to get the Linksys WUSB6300 to work, both on a RPi B+ and a RPi 2. I must've done the whole process about 10 times by now, and I'd really appreciate a helping hand, since I've absolutely no idea what's wrong with my setup.


Thank you so much for your time.
Hi nventuro,

The 3.18 drivers did not include the USB id for your wifi but I have now updated them to include the WUSB6300 USB id. The drivers for 4.0.xx did have the WUSB6300 USB id so should have worked.

I have tried them on my Pi 2B with a WUSB6300 and it works OK, although it does seem rather awkward trying to get an initial connection after booting the Pi. I find I have to run commands sudo ifdown wlan0 and sudo ifup wlan0 or disconnect the dongle from the Pi and then connect it back to the Pi to get it to connect to my AP and even then it can take some time.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:06 am

Broccoli76 wrote:Hi MrEngman
Would it be possible to get this driver compiled also ?

PI B+
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -r
3.18.11+

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

And also for:
4.0.9+

Best Regards Mathias
There are drivers already available for the kernel versions you have if you are using raspbian.

Use command uname -rv to get the kernel version and build. The driver files I have available to download use a standard format using the kernel version and build from the uname -rv command. Like 8812au-kernel_version-build.tar.gz

For my Pi uname -rv shows
3.18.7+ #759 PREEMPT Thu Feb 26 15:50:00 GMT 2015
so the kernel_version is 3.18.7 and the kernel build is 759 and so the driver file I would need to download is 8812au-3.18.7-759.tar.gz

For your Pi the driver file will be 8812au-3.18.11-xxx.tar.gz. You need to use command uname -rv to find the build to replace xxx. For 4.0.9 the driver file will be 8812au-4.0.9-xxx.tar.gz. Again use uname -rv to find the build - xxx.

To download and install use commands

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/driver-file-name
tar xzf driver-file-name
./install.sh
replacing "driver-file-name" with the name of the file to download.

Hope that helps


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nventuro
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:23 pm

MrEngman wrote: Hi nventuro,

The 3.18 drivers did not include the USB id for your wifi but I have now updated them to include the WUSB6300 USB id. The drivers for 4.0.xx did have the WUSB6300 USB id so should have worked.

I have tried them on my Pi 2B with a WUSB6300 and it works OK, although it does seem rather awkward trying to get an initial connection after booting the Pi. I find I have to run commands sudo ifdown wlan0 and sudo ifup wlan0 or disconnect the dongle from the Pi and then connect it back to the Pi to get it to connect to my AP and even then it can take some time.


MrEngman
Thank you! The new drivers worked great on 3.18.11+.

JohnyBoi
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:04 am

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:18 am

Hi MrEngman

I've honestly spent over 12 hours over a number of days trying to get my Netgear A6100 Dongle working. I'd really love your help. I have tried almost everything online and do not understand why your method isn't working as it should.

Background:

Install process:
- Burn 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.img on the SD card (this is 3.18.11+ #781, and 3.18.11-v7 #781)
- Boot on the board, expand filesystem, reboot
- wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... 781.tar.gz
- tar 8812au-3.18.11-v7-781.tar.gz
- ./install.sh -at this point installs fine with no errors. 8812au.ko is in /lib/modules/3.18.11-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

lsusb:

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0846:9052 NetGear, Inc.
dmesg:

Code: Select all

[ 1909.117729] usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, device number 7
[ 1910.888928] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
[ 1910.990157] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0846, idProduct=9052
[ 1910.990182] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 1910.990201] usb 1-1.4: Product: 802.11ac WLAN Adapter
[ 1910.990217] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 1910.990233] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
uname -a:

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
iwconfig:
lo no wireless extensions. eth0 no wireless extensions.
ifconfig: sees no wlan0

Contents of /etc/network/interfaces.

Code: Select all

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
I've also tried the below interface file, which lead it not to connect to any network

Code: Select all

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "SSID"
wpa-psk "PASSWORD"
Please I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Kind regards,

Johnyboi

diederik
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:28 am

If you plug in your device and do "lsmod | grep 8812" does it show that the 8812au driver is loaded?
If not, what happens when you do "modprobe 8812au" ?

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:12 pm

JohnyBoi wrote:Hi MrEngman

I've honestly spent over 12 hours over a number of days trying to get my Netgear A6100 Dongle working. I'd really love your help. I have tried almost everything online and do not understand why your method isn't working as it should.
Just checked the driver and it does not include the USB ID for your wifi dongle so doesn't currently recognise your wifi. I have updated the driver to include the new ID and am currently recompiling the drivers to include the new ID. This will take a little time as it is a script that compiles all versions of the driver for 3.18, 4.0 and 4.1.

Will post when it's done.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi JohnyBoi,

The drivers have been updated and are now on Dropbox.

Download and re-install and hopefully you will now find it works.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

JohnyBoi
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:04 am

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:33 am

Hi JohnyBoi,

The drivers have been updated and are now on Dropbox.

Download and re-install and hopefully you will now find it works.
Hi MrEngman, Thank you so much for your help once again. It installed find, and yes it is "almost" working. I can't seem to find any networks using the dongle, haven't got this far before so am I doing something wrong?

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ iwconfig
wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     No scan results
Also, will you also continue to support the RTL8812AU on these forums? I'm considering getting a raspberry pi friendly dongle as I know I'll have problems if I ever need to update. Seems are not too many though :/

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:45 pm

JohnyBoi wrote:
Hi JohnyBoi,

The drivers have been updated and are now on Dropbox.

Download and re-install and hopefully you will now find it works.
Hi MrEngman, Thank you so much for your help once again. It installed find, and yes it is "almost" working. I can't seem to find any networks using the dongle, haven't got this far before so am I doing something wrong?

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ iwconfig
wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     No scan results
Also, will you also continue to support the RTL8812AU on these forums? I'm considering getting a raspberry pi friendly dongle as I know I'll have problems if I ever need to update. Seems are not too many though :/
I've checked out the driver on my Pi 2b running 4.1.6-v7+ #810 using a Linksys WUSB6300 and an Edimax EW-7811UTC and both worked OK. The dongles were plugged directly into the Pi's USB port. The initial connection did take some time to start with trying both sudo ifdown wlan0 and sudo ifup wlan0 several times and unplugging and re-plugging the dongles but once an initial connection was made I had no further problems. Unfortunately I don't have the type of dongle you are using to be able to test it works.

Scanning also worked OK even before they got connected to my wifi network so I'm not sure what your issue may be. If you are using a Pi B+ or a Pi 2 B you could try increasing the USB current available by editing file /boot/config.txt and uncommenting the line

Code: Select all

# uncomment to enable max USB power
max_usb_current=1
or if that line doesn't exist add it to the end of the file. I'm not sure this is strictly necessary but may be worth trying.

There is also the possibility that you need a reasonably high capacity power supply, say 5volt 2A, as an insufficient power supply can cause wifi issues.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
scratcrzynuts
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:50 am

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:20 am

Hi MrEngman !!

Can you help me ?! I try put rtl8812au.ko to compile in Openwrt for Rasp Pi 2 .. but fail.. do you have module for 3.18.20#1 compiled for download ??

Thnak´s !!!


MrEngman wrote:
Broccoli76 wrote:Hi MrEngman
Would it be possible to get this driver compiled also ?

PI B+
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -r
3.18.11+

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

And also for:
4.0.9+

Best Regards Mathias
There are drivers already available for the kernel versions you have if you are using raspbian.

Use command uname -rv to get the kernel version and build. The driver files I have available to download use a standard format using the kernel version and build from the uname -rv command. Like 8812au-kernel_version-build.tar.gz

For my Pi uname -rv shows
3.18.7+ #759 PREEMPT Thu Feb 26 15:50:00 GMT 2015
so the kernel_version is 3.18.7 and the kernel build is 759 and so the driver file I would need to download is 8812au-3.18.7-759.tar.gz

For your Pi the driver file will be 8812au-3.18.11-xxx.tar.gz. You need to use command uname -rv to find the build to replace xxx. For 4.0.9 the driver file will be 8812au-4.0.9-xxx.tar.gz. Again use uname -rv to find the build - xxx.

To download and install use commands

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/driver-file-name
tar xzf driver-file-name
./install.sh
replacing "driver-file-name" with the name of the file to download.

Hope that helps


MrEngman

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:18 pm

scratcrzynuts wrote:Hi MrEngman !!

Can you help me ?! I try put rtl8812au.ko to compile in Openwrt for Rasp Pi 2 .. but fail.. do you have module for 3.18.20#1 compiled for download ??

Thnak´s !!!
Sorry I do not have the 8812au driver compiled for Openwrt. I can have a look at it if you can tell me where I can get the 3.18.20 Openwrt image and the Openwrt source.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

misra
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:55 am

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:02 am

I'm trying to install a TP-Link Acher T4U.

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~/8812au $ uname -rv
4.1.15-v7+ #830 SMP Tue Dec 15 17:02:45 GMT 2015
pi@raspberrypi:~/8812au $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 2357:0101  
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
The T4U is installed as Devince 006.

I've downloaded 8812au-4.1.15-830.tar.gz and installed. No luck.

Am I missing something?

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:22 am

misra wrote:I'm trying to install a TP-Link Acher T4U.

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~/8812au $ uname -rv
4.1.15-v7+ #830 SMP Tue Dec 15 17:02:45 GMT 2015
pi@raspberrypi:~/8812au $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 2357:0101  
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
The T4U is installed as Devince 006.

I've downloaded 8812au-4.1.15-830.tar.gz and installed. No luck.

Am I missing something?
Try 8812au-4.1.15-v7-830.tar.gz. Note: extra -v7

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.15-v7-830.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.1.15-v7-830.tar.gz
./install.sh


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

jab_au
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:40 pm
Location: Australia
Contact: ICQ Website

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks for the drivers MrEngman, they work great on Ubuntu Mate.

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.10-v7-820.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.1.10-v7-820.tar.gz
./install.sh

MrEngman
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: ASUS USB-AC56 (RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU) Driver compile fails

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:36 am

jab_au wrote:Thanks for the drivers MrEngman, they work great on Ubuntu Mate.

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.10-v7-820.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.1.10-v7-820.tar.gz
./install.sh
That's good to hear. Glad to be able to help. Thanks for the info as I've never tried Ubuntu Mate.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Raspbian”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 20 guests