DonOregano

Re: packages you want to see in raspbian

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 pm

No rush from me. I've got plenty to work with anyway. Do it in your own time, and I'll be happy to try things out.

chris_c

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:22 pm

mpthompson wrote:Ughh. The build system I like doing builds on is working on LibreOffice which is a three day build. I'll let you know if and when I get something to try out.
Probably attempting to teach granny to suck eggs here....

...but wouldn't cross compiling larger packages be a *lot* faster - higher cpu frequency, multiple make threads etc...

kadamski

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Debian automatic build system is not really designed to cross compile.

chris_c

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:02 pm

kadamski wrote:Debian automatic build system is not really designed to cross compile.
you can still build debian packages without using "pure" debian tools https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchCross for example

kadamski

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Sure you can but if you're building full distribution, not single packages, it's a little bit different. You don't want to make exceptions for some packages as you wan't all updates to be done automatically in one environment. Plus, AFAIK, raspbian is pretending (well, that may be a bad word but still..) to be official Debian port.

mpthompson

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:06 pm

mpthompson wrote:I tried to build Gnat three days ago as it is one of the last compilers that Raspbian doesn't yet support. I made the changes to the package that should allow it to compile Armv6 code and FPU instructions, but the build stalled for some reason about three hours into the build.
I spent a few more hours looking at the Gnat build. I understand the problem a bit better, but don't yet have a solution. During the build Gnat builds a number of tools that themselves are coded in Ada, the tool xsinfo being one such tool. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the tool xsinfo builds with a runtime flaw that causes an endless loop inside xsinfo and the tool never finishes. I need to figure out a way of getting xsinfo to build without the runtime flaw. If someone wants to look at the issue, a log of the gnat-4.6 build should appear in a few hours on our public servers at the following URL:

http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/lo ... at-4.6.log

I'll keep trying as it bothers me that gnat is one of the few build tools we don't yet have working.

mpthompson

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:21 pm

kadamski wrote:Sure you can but if you're building full distribution, not single packages, it's a little bit different. You don't want to make exceptions for some packages as you wan't all updates to be done automatically in one environment. Plus, AFAIK, raspbian is pretending (well, that may be a bad word but still..) to be official Debian port.
kadamski, is correct. We are pretending to be an official Debian port and using the Debian build tools to the extent possible and building each package (with very few exceptions) in clean schroot environments. From what I understand, one of the philosophical underpinnings of Debian is that Debian packages should be built on the same architecture they are meant to run on. I believe this is why the Debian packages don't generally work well with cross-compilation tools as that type of building is not only not supported, it's actively discouraged by Debian. If means the difference between a functioning and non-functioning package being available for the Raspberry Pi, I personally would use cross compilation tool if needed.

However, our problem is not really one of speed of builds which cross compilation on fast servers might help with, but rather the porting effort required to get certain applications to play nice on the armv6 CPU of the Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately, armv6, while supported by most compilers once configured with a specific set of build flags, it is a relatively less used and tested platform. Armv4 (Debian armel) and armv7 (Debian armhf) are much better tested. It's not infrequent that we find some of the builds tools producing bad code for the armv6 platform and we need to figure out ways to work around the issue. Often, adjusting optimization settings or switching to a newer version of the compiler will help. On rare occasions these fixes can't be used and we need to find or created patches to the problem we're encountering on a specific package -- a process that takes time.

mpthompson

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:23 am

Sorry guys, I'm having zero luck with gnat-4.6 and I'm now zero-for-five in my attempts to build the package. Once Plugwash is back from holiday I'll ask him to take a look. He certainly has more package building foo than I have. Anyway, we won't give up, but it's not looking like something that is going to happy very soon.

chris_c

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:30 am

if you want to wear hair shirts fine :p

and I know its not speed the issue, but isn't it a LOT faster and more convenient to cross build something to debug the build process before automating it.

at the very least you are hanging round for less time between failures!

Once you have a cross compile build debugged and working specifically for Rpi arch you then know exactly how to set up the auto build process....

truehl

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 am

hd-idle
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Ilfirin

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 am

I haven't found it here, so
WiringPi and bindings (Python, Perl, Ruby) https://github.com/WiringPi

wildclover

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 am

MythTV (although it will require the kernel to have DVB and I2C in it too). Can't watch the TV at the mo, but as a low-powered backend it would be brilliant. Have got it working in Arch, but prefer Debian.

DonOregano

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 pm

mpthompson wrote: ... the tool xsinfo being one such tool. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the tool xsinfo builds with a runtime flaw that causes an endless loop inside xsinfo and the tool never finishes. I need to figure out a way of getting xsinfo to build without the runtime flaw. If someone wants to look at the issue, a log of the gnat-4.6 build should appear in a few hours on our public servers at the following URL:

http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/lo ... at-4.6.log
I did a bit of googling, and it appears that the xsinfo tool has been causing all kinds of trouble for a long time... Anyway, I found one post (from 2003, so it may not be at all relevant) which appears to describe a similar problem: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-07/msg01388.html

What does the sinfo.h file contain? If I could get a copy of the one that causes xsinfo to fail I could have a look at it.

mpthompson

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 pm

DonOregano wrote:I did a bit of googling, and it appears that the xsinfo tool has been causing all kinds of trouble for a long time... Anyway, I found one post (from 2003, so it may not be at all relevant) which appears to describe a similar problem: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-07/msg01388.html

What does the sinfo.h file contain? If I could get a copy of the one that causes xsinfo to fail I could have a look at it.
Thanks, I've worked my way through the issue and got the package built. I've started another thread in this forum to talk specifically about gnat-4.6 support in Raspbian.

Lirex

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:30 pm

ceni
xbmc

john.mills

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi Plugwash,

I think some more games would be great to have in Raspbian. Do you think that you could add this Doom rework, possibly in to a user contributed section?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=11552

Best regards,

John

john.mills

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:44 pm

I realise it is still a work in progress but a lot of people are interested in software such as this. The only issue might be the Doom trademark? Is there any where possibly dubious software can go that is not in the main repository?

Regards,

John

JamesWebb

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:52 pm

I would still like to see scratch! If possible?

obarthelemy

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:09 pm

"but it's not looking like something that is going to happy very soon". Freudian slip !

Beini

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:22 pm

As my Debian sources for xbmc-rbp get buried quite quickly in building xbmc thread I'll post link to them in here. Maybe someone in raspbian is eager to maintain them and we would get it prebuilt with apt ;)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 36#p125636

robotfunk

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:06 pm

would love to see Supercollider !

jeffers

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm messing around with getting the raspi to play audio via a bluetooth a2dp link but it seems the bluetooth module for pulseaudio is not in the repo:

pulseaudio-module-bluetooth

Would make life much easier :)

dwreid55

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:00 am

This is both a request for LibreOffice (which I miss from the Squeeze release) and a thank you for continuing to work on it. It's a very handy thing for a student type machine and I appreciate that it's not a simple task to get something of that size up and running. Kudos to the team.

dwreid55

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:03 am

For what it's worth, I used Synaptic to install Chromium this afternoon and it works like a charm. In Synaptic I chose Chromium from Google not Chromium-browser. Synaptic fetched the dependencies and installed the package. It ran first try. Hope that's helpful to someone.

mpthompson

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:42 am

dwreid55 wrote:For what it's worth, I used Synaptic to install Chromium this afternoon and it works like a charm. In Synaptic I chose Chromium from Google not Chromium-browser. Synaptic fetched the dependencies and installed the package. It ran first try. Hope that's helpful to someone.
I would think those would be the same browser. If you do the following command, what does it report is the installed package?

dpkg -l | grep chromium

Return to “Raspbian”