plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

packages you want to see in raspbian

Fri May 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Please name any packages that are not in raspbian (but are in debian) or are present but not installable that you require or otherwise beleive to be important.

Note: please check whether a package is present/installable (easiest way right now is by trying to install it) before posting it here.

I'll start the list with

bitlbee
pidgin
file-roller

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: packages you want to see in raspbian

Sat May 26, 2012 12:06 pm

chromium browser is my choice.
I know it doesn't build under wheezy (although does under squeeze), but perhaps Hexxeh could help.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 26, 2012 12:15 pm

mmm, the version of chromium in wheezy doesn't build on either of the official arm ports. If someone wants to work on making a multi-day build for a leaf package that isn't in official debian work I won't stop them but I don't intend to do anything on that myself.

On a more positive note pidgin and bitlbee are both in the repo now and file-roller should be pretty soon.

PhonicUK

Sun May 27, 2012 12:06 am

htop
screen
less
galculator
mirori
links2
irssi

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 27, 2012 1:59 am

please read posts (and not just the title) before replying, this thread is about packages you want to see in raspbian not packages that are already in raspbian.

simonlc

Sun May 27, 2012 2:01 am

Personally I'd like to see some games, like ioquake3 client and doom for example.

bob_binz

Sun May 27, 2012 9:41 am

Maybe I'm being stupid, but is Scratch there? Couldn't see it (although I have to say I've never pulled it on any distro, is it not available as a package?)

milhouse

Sun May 27, 2012 9:51 am

I'd suggest vi (part of the "vim" package) should be installed as standard.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 27, 2012 10:27 am

is the package gphoto2 what you are looking for? if so then it already seems to be in.

shirro

Sun May 27, 2012 12:04 pm

Could we bring in the squeeze chromium-browser source and build it? It really is the best all-round browser at the moment.

PhonicUK

Sun May 27, 2012 1:04 pm

plugwash wrote:please read posts (and not just the title) before replying, this thread is about packages you want to see in raspbian not packages that are already in raspbian.
I did read the post, I am running raspbian now and I had to install all the aformentioned packages as they weren't already in it.

poing

Sun May 27, 2012 2:55 pm

plugwash wrote:is the package gphoto2 what you are looking for? if so then it already seems to be in.
I wouldn't know as I have no Pi and the link you gave does not list the packages. Just want to make a flying start in 5 weeks time ;)

mdewey

Sun May 27, 2012 3:26 pm

PhonicUK wrote:
plugwash wrote:please read posts (and not just the title) before replying, this thread is about packages you want to see in raspbian not packages that are already in raspbian.
I did read the post, I am running raspbian now and I had to install all the aformentioned packages as they weren't already in it.
Dear Phonic
I think you are misunderstanding. Plugwash's question is about what packages you want available in the repository, not what packages you want in the image you started with.

Michael

PhonicUK

Sun May 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Aaah. In that case just omxplayer :P

milhouse

Sun May 27, 2012 4:28 pm

mdewey wrote: Dear Phonic
I think you are misunderstanding. Plugwash's question is about what packages you want available in the repository, not what packages you want in the image you started with.

Michael
Well in that case I misunderstood him too as he made no mention of repositories, but then I've never yet come across a distribution that didn't include vi, that is until I tried Raspbian so my request stands... add vi to the base build.

mpthompson

Sun May 27, 2012 6:34 pm

I was surprised vi didn't come in hexxeh's image as well. ;) I'll be working to get an updated image out soon. Right now there are lot of moving parts to Raspbian as we try to work out how to build the final packages that will make the Raspbian port complete. Hopefully things will settle down on the building side of things so that we can concentrate on putting out a more refined "official" Raspbian SD image along with a Raspbian installer. Can't promise when these things will be done, but they are on the list to get done soon.

mpthompson

Sun May 27, 2012 6:42 pm

shirro wrote:Could we bring in the squeeze chromium-browser source and build it? It really is the best all-round browser at the moment.
With Hexxeh's help I made changes to the Debian source package for chromium to hopefully build correctly for Raspbian. The updated source files are now in the build queue so hopefully it will emerge in a few days. chromium is one of those packages that takes days to build so if it still fails, it could take a while longer for it to appear. I'm crossing my fingers we nailed the parameters to get it to build on the first try.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 9:00 am

I installed the openttd package the other day and found that it was absent of an executable file.
I was expecting it to be missing the data folder, but even after I supplied that myself manually - I was unable to make the game run using the installed menu item.

I checked the file system and there was an openttd-wrapper script but no actual executable file.

I know the game works okay though since I have built it myself from source on the Pi. It just seems the auto-built package from the repo doesn't work.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 6:08 pm

The binary is in /usr/games/openttd and it does run if launched directly. Dunno why the wrapper script isn't working but I expect this issue is not specific to raspbian.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 6:36 pm

mpthompson wrote:I was surprised vi didn't come in hexxeh's image as well. ;) I'll be working to get an updated image out soon. Right now there are lot of moving parts to Raspbian as we try to work out how to build the final packages that will make the Raspbian port complete. Hopefully things will settle down on the building side of things so that we can concentrate on putting out a more refined "official" Raspbian SD image along with a Raspbian installer. Can't promise when these things will be done, but they are on the list to get done soon.
Hi. I'm working towards putting together the next RPi Foundation armel reference image (using wheezy). I'm very keen to support building equivalent raspbian images, which should be a relatively straight-forward change to my image generation scripts. Hopefully we can pool resources on packaging, improving the first boot experience etc. also (I'll be using Will Thompson's Debian packaging of the 'firmware' http://github.com/wjt/firmware).

The scripts I'm using are here https://github.com/asb/spindle

john.mills

Mon May 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Hello asb,

It is good to see your offer of collaboration. But let me ask why are you trying to create a new Armel, Wheezy Raspberry Pi image? Why don't you just use the compiled hard float version Mike Thompson has been working on? It appears to me to be a waste of resources to compile Wheezy for Armel when you can use Raspbian and receive all of the benefits of hard float we have been working towards here.

Going forward to maximise the limited hardware of the Raspberry Pi hardware you need to also use the hard float ABI. I'm sure if you use Raspbian you will receive help and support from the community here. Apologies if I have misunderstood your suggestion.

Best regards,

John

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 7:09 pm

john.mills wrote:It is good to see your offer of collaboration. But let me ask why are you trying to create a new Armel, Wheezy Raspberry Pi image? Why don't you just use the compiled hard float version Mike Thompson has been working on? It appears to me to be a waste of resources to compile Wheezy for Armel when you can use Raspbian and receive all of the benefits of hard float we have been working towards here.
armel is already compiled and supported upstream by the Debian project. I agree, Raspbian is fantastic and I'm amazed by what mpthompson, plugwash and others have achieved. So don't worry, there's no time spent compiling (at least, for those packages already available in Debian). For the reasons you state, it may indeed make a lot of sense to move to the raspbian hardfloat port in the future.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 7:13 pm

One big reason we need a wheezy armel image is bug handling. Tester need to be able test if their issues on an official wheezy environment to find out whether they should be reported to us or to debian.

john.mills

Mon May 28, 2012 9:20 pm

armel is already compiled and supported upstream by the Debian project. I agree, Raspbian is fantastic and I'm amazed by what mpthompson, plugwash and others have achieved. So don't worry, there's no time spent compiling (at least, for those packages already available in Debian). For the reasons you state, it may indeed make a lot of sense to move to the raspbian hardfloat port in the future.
I think in the interest of producing the most optimised version of Debian for the Pi going forward a switch to Raspbian will only make sense for the foundation.

A number of tests have been conducted that clearly show the benefit of what has been achieved by mptompson, plugwash etc.

On limited hardware such as the Pi every possible optimisation counts. By switching to Raspbian you provide a stable target before the Pi hardware ships to the larger educational sector.

Developers can target the Floating operations this release provides and really improve their applications and thus improve the whole of the Raspberry Pi experience for the (hopefully) millions of users that will receive this little credit card sized miracle! It can only make sense to choose the best and most optimised software available as the base for the Pi.

I can understand why an Armel version might be useful, as explained by Plugwash (as a bug handling mechanism) but it creates incompatible versions of the software and division and further work. If the effort of the foundation is concentrated on Raspbian then amazing progress will inevitably be made and developers will know what to start writing against.

Return to “Raspbian”