mikerr

Re: Installer

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Argh - it was just the raspian - raspbian typo by me,
and I've been doing it consistently it seems :oops: ;)

On its way though now.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

mikerr

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 pm

All done, and now have a basic raspbian running on a 1GB card, using about 600MB of the card:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2434217/raspbian-1GB.zip [349MB]
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

amp

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:54 am

I finally managed to boot the Raspbian Installer by replacing the .bin and .elf files with the ones from the image. Some remarks regarding the installation process and instructions in the Raspbian wiki:

1. Language / Country / Keyboard map selection is the first thing to be done (not mentioned in the instructions)

2. even though DHCP succeeds I get an error like: wrong hostname "" (i.e. the empty string). The only way I found to continue was to go back and configure network manually. Still no question about the hostname (which is set to "debian" in the final install). This might be a glitch in the preseed file, but didn't have the time to look into it.

3. There was no question about timezone, probably because my country only has one (not a problem, just something to be added to the instructions)

4. At the partitioning step, if the SD card has more than just a FAT32 partition you will be asked to partition. Choose "Guided, entire disk". For myself I switched the root partition to ext4, added a label to it and added "sync" to the mount options for /boot. This might make sense as a default, since that partition will be written only in case of bootstuff updates, and these should be done as safe as possible.

5. I used a class 10 SanDisk Extreme card and it took about 45 minutes to install base + SSH (but not Standard) including answering all questions.

6. The final install doesn't boot. Again, I copied over the .bin and .elf files from the image and rpi-update failed today, rendering my fresh install un-bootable.

Kind regards,
Andrei

mpthompson

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:16 am

amp, I haven't had time yet to go through the latest install and portions of the notes may indeed be out of date. As I go through the install I'll update the notes and pay particular attention to the issues you mention.

jerry.tk

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:25 am

amp, which installer version were you using? Judging by your mentioning rpi-update I guess 06-18-12?
This one is a bit obsolete by now as there is a newer one submitted for Mike's approval. You can find a link a few posts earlier. It uses pretty current firmware and under normal circumstances you definitely should not need to do any extra files copying.

Thanks for the 'sync' tip. I'll add it to the next installer update.

amp

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 am

jerry.tk wrote:I am including current preseed.cfg so that you can have an idea what can be changed here.
Could you please post your latest preseed.cfg?

Thanks,
Andrei

jerry.tk

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 am

This might take some time as I am not at my home computer right now. But you can unpack that file from initramfs.cpio also linked with the new installer version.
Please check out the troubleshooting section on installer wiki page - if you could post installer log from your RasPi (/var/log/installer), it would really help me. Thanks!

amp

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 am

jerry.tk wrote:amp, which installer version were you using? Judging by your mentioning rpi-update I guess 06-18-12?
Yes
jerry.tk wrote:This one is a bit obsolete by now as there is a newer one submitted for Mike's approval. You can find a link a few posts earlier. It uses pretty current firmware and under normal circumstances you definitely should not need to do any extra files copying.
Doesn't work (anymore?), I get a 404. Hopefully it will be approved soon, or maybe hosted somewhere where more people can access it to for testing.

Thanks for your work,
Andrei

jerry.tk

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:49 am

Oh, sorry about that, I will reupload it tonight (CET). I will probably update that hostname, sync and memory split as well.

BTW: can somebody recommend a good multiupload server? multiupload.co.uk is redirecting to multiupload.nl and that one is not accessible for Mike and probably others as well.

amp

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:08 am

jerry.tk wrote:Please check out the troubleshooting section on installer wiki page - if you could post installer log from your RasPi (/var/log/installer), it would really help me. Thanks!
I think the relevant part of /var/log/installer/syslog is this:

Code: Select all

Jan  1 00:00:47 main-menu[999]: INFO: Menu item 'netcfg' selected
Jan  1 00:00:47 netcfg[2634]: INFO: Starting netcfg v.1.70 (built 20120503-2118)
Jan  1 00:00:47 netcfg[2634]: WARNING **: Couldn't read Wpasupplicant pid file, not trying to kill.
Jan  1 00:00:47 netcfg[2634]: INFO: Could not find valid BOOTIF= entry in /proc/cmdline
Jan  1 00:00:47 netcfg[2634]: WARNING **: Started DHCP client; PID is 2648
Jan  1 00:00:49 kernel: [   59.080766] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
Jan  1 00:00:51 udhcpc: Got IP 192.168.1.100 (using eth0) and routing through 192.168.1.1
Jan  1 00:00:52 netcfg[2634]: DEBUG: dhcp_client_sigchld() called
Jan  1 00:00:52 netcfg[2634]: DEBUG: Waiting for dhcp_pid = 2648
Jan  1 00:00:54 netcfg[2634]: DEBUG: dhcp_client_sigchld() called
Jan  1 00:00:54 netcfg[2634]: INFO:  is an invalid domain
Jan  1 00:00:59 main-menu[999]: (process:2633): udhcpc (v1.19.3) started
Jan  1 00:00:59 main-menu[999]: (process:2633): Sending discover...
Jan  1 00:00:59 main-menu[999]: (process:2633): Sending select for 192.168.1.100...
Jan  1 00:00:59 main-menu[999]: (process:2633): Lease of 192.168.1.100 obtained, lease time 86400
Jan  1 00:00:59 main-menu[999]: WARNING **: Configuring 'netcfg' failed with error code 139
Jan  1 00:00:59 main-menu[999]: WARNING **: Menu item 'netcfg' failed.
Interestingly here it is complaining about the domain, I'll go check the translation... Edit: translation is ok, the error was indeed about the hostname, seems like it's this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/901700. I'll retry with the newer installer as soon as I can get it.
Last edited by amp on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikerr

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:15 am

Make sure the partitions are in this order:

Fat32 /rpiboot
Swap
Ext3 /

Initially mine wouldn't boot as I had swap at the end
- cmdline.txt on the fat32 partition assumes the root partition is partition 3
- so edit that after install, or keep to the layout above.

amp

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:23 am

mikerr wrote:Make sure the partitions are in this order:

Fat32 /rpiboot
Swap
Ext3 /

Initially mine wouldn't boot as I had swap at the end
- cmdline.txt on the fat32 partition assumes the root partition is partition 3
- so edit that after install, or keep to the layout above.
Nope, my cmdline.txt looks fine. Anyway, that would generate errors from the kernel (something like "root not found or so", but I don't even get video.

jerry.tk

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:37 am

When messing with /boot partition it happened to me quite a lot that FAT32 got corrupted even by simple stuff such as copying files even on current firmware. (BTW hopefully that sync will help.) Anyway, you can try to format this partition on Windows machine and get current bootfiles from here: RasPi bootfiles. Make sure to add cmdline.txt from somewhere else and it should boot at least kernel no matter what.

jerry.tk

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm

New installer V20120727: installer, (mirror), initramfs. (Had to use multiupload.nl anyway since multiupload.biz seems to be down.)
Changes:
- updated kernel source
- enabled hostname/domain dialogs
- added sync option for FAT32 partition (thanks amp)
- set default memory split 224/32

My SD card doesn't seem to like that sync option too much. I am getting a ton of "page allocation failure" crashes from mmcqd in log when writing to FAT32. Will investigate some more. Please let me know if you experience similar behaviour.

c_k

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:20 am

I am getting the same page allocation failure messages with a brand new 32GB Apacer SDHC.

rickyleeb

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:48 am

jerry.tk: Do you need somewhere more reliable to host these files? I don't mind offering you a spot on my VPS/site.

Had a issue with the install from http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller - failed a number of times. However will check again tonight when I am home.

rickyleeb

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:24 pm

+

The links above do not work :(

jerry.tk

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:47 pm

OK, here is installer maintenance update: V20120819, (mirror), initramfs.
Changes:
- updated kernel to 3.2.27
- removed sync option from vfat (see here for interesting discussion)

@rickyleeb: Thanks for the hosting offer. Well, original workflow supposed that multiupload storage was only temporary, it was just for Mike or other interested individuals for testing. After Mike tested new installer release he would upload it to main Raspbian site. Maybe some other permanent installer storage could be useful. I will consider uploading that to my blog.

Anyway, currently I don't really have time to make proper installer, so if anyone wants to try that it would be great...

rickyleeb

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Stupid question, does initramfs.cpio.gz simply get copied to the root of the SD card?.

jerry.tk: Well if you do ever need somewhere else to host the files, give me a shout. Be glad to host them.

jerry.tk

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:17 pm

You don't need initramfs.cpio.gz for installer to work. Just unpack the installer zip to FAT32 formatted SD card and you should be good to go. You would need initramfs.cpio only if you wanted to create your own version of Raspbian installer - for example enabling network console, creating unattended install etc.

mpthompson

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 pm

jerry.tk wrote:Well, original workflow supposed that multiupload storage was only temporary, it was just for Mike or other interested individuals for testing. After Mike tested new installer release he would upload it to main Raspbian site. Maybe some other permanent installer storage could be useful. I will consider uploading that to my blog.
Sorry, I've been off doing some other things and got distracted for the last few weeks. I'm downloading the installer now and I'll be working on update to the Raspbian wiki page. I'll post back when I have something for others to try out.

mpthompson

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:29 am

OK, I've updated the wiki page and added the installer to the Raspbian server:

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

jerry.tk, do you have links on the web that describe how to work with the install files that are inside the cpio file? In the future I would like to create an installer for the Via APC, but I haven't yet looked at what's involved with creating one. I was wondering what information you are using to build the Raspbian installer.

jerry.tk

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 am

mpthompson wrote: jerry.tk, do you have links on the web that describe how to work with the install files that are inside the cpio file? In the future I would like to create an installer for the Via APC, but I haven't yet looked at what's involved with creating one. I was wondering what information you are using to build the Raspbian installer.
Well, since I knew nothing about the Debian installer, initramfs and a bunch of other stuff it was mostly trial and error process to see what would stick :oops:
But now I guess I could summarize it in a few easy steps:

1. Determine how much space is available for installer initramfs and how to load it. I spent quite a lot of time trying to load initrd/initramfs independently of the kernel. Although is seems to be supported by firmware (see config.txt options), it just wouldn't work for me. Didn't try with recent firmware revisions, though. Anyway at the time I had to embed initramfs into the kernel and this was the reason to use minimal installer, aka businesscard image - see Debian netinst page.

2. Build generic installer. Now the proper way of building installer is compiling all from installer sources. You also need to customize build with your own configuration appropriate for your hardware. Since at the time there were some Raspbian udebs missing and I had no idea how does it work anyway, I decided to take apart some working installer and see how it is built. The closest (and only armhf available) image was mx5 initrd. Had some fun unpacking it and finding out from which udeb do those binaries come from. Much later found out that all it takes is downloading udebs listed in Contents-udeb-armhf.gz and unpacking them all into one directory. This way you get initram rootfs. There is also some very little tweaking involved in rootfs /etc directory. Can't remember exactly, but it was just deleting mx5-specific files and setting correct Debian release, I think.

3. Customizing installer. There is generic preseed.cfg file available from Debian installer Preseed page. This file is very well commented and with a little tweaking you can customize it. A little gotcha is that even commented out options sometimes may change the default value - commenting out means only that you'll have to confirm new value manually instead of just applying it automatically. You can also run your own pre-install and post-install script from preseed.cfg - this feature is used in Raspbian installer for copying firmware files to vfat partition.

4. Pack initramfs:

Code: Select all

find . | cpio -H newc -o > ../initramfs.cpio
taken from this very useful initrd/initramfs page.

That's all. Have fun! ;)

ldiqual

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 pm

This installer seems very promising. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it as my wireless keyboard didn't work (the USB device seems to be recognized at startup, but nothing happens and I can't access any logs).

So I wanted to modify the installer's sources, but I couldn't find any repo. Is a Github repo (or equivalent) planned ? It would be great to improve this tool thanks to the community.

jerry.tk

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:26 am

ldiqual wrote:This installer seems very promising. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it as my wireless keyboard didn't work (the USB device seems to be recognized at startup, but nothing happens and I can't access any logs).

So I wanted to modify the installer's sources, but I couldn't find any repo. Is a Github repo (or equivalent) planned ? It would be great to improve this tool thanks to the community.
Currently there is no repo as such, since this installer was not built from installer sources but rather assembled from compiled binaries. This is the reason I am including link to initramfs with every release. You can unpack it and modify whatever you need. BTW: Generic Debian installer sources are linked in my previous post.

Anyway, in your case you don't need to modify initramfs at all. Just compile new kernel with all necessary modules for your hardware included and embed current initramfs.cpio (needs to be gunzipped) inside.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”