hadi

Re: Installer

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:06 pm

I don't have a keyboard. is there any version of installer with SSH enabled?

I don't think network is enabled before loading installer.

mpthompson

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:50 pm

SSH based installation doesn't seem to be included in this version of the installer. I do know that some ARM platforms do have Debian installers that are SSH based (ie. Debian for the HP Media Vault MV2120) as not all ARM devices have console video and keyboard input. However, that is something that needs to be configured in the installer.

jerry.tk will have to weigh in with what the difficulty might be in enabling ssh based console installation for a special version of the installer. The work required to build and maintain it would have to be weighed against the number of users who might benefit from such a feature.

jerry.tk

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 am

hadi, currently there is no SSH enabled installer for Raspbian, exactly as Mike says. Seems it is mutually exclusive: we can have either semi-automated install using preseeded values or enabled SSH, but not both at the same time. But you can easily build SSH enabled installer yourself by modifying preseed.cfg in provided initramfs. It is possible to either enable network console for SSH or make fully unattended install by tweaking some options there. You'll find more info here in Debian wiki.

mpthompson

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:11 am

I tried the revised installer and it worked fine. I updated the wiki pages to point to zip file that can be dumped to an MS-DOS formatted SD card to start the installation:

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

I also updated the notes to reflect some extra information based on questions I sometimes get in the IRC channel.

jayne

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:04 am

I'm having a problem with the latest installer (downloaded today 10th July 2012).
The install sequence fails at the step where it is trying to install the base system - saying "Failed getting Release file http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/di ... zy/Release". I have tried to install from the start three times and it fails at the same place each time.
There doesn't seem to be a problem with the ethernet controller (it successfully established a DHCP connection earlier in the sequence, and there are lots of successful retrieves reported in syslog) and the internet is definitely accessible (from another computer attached to the same router I can see that the specified url is accessible on the internet).
The syslog file doesn't reveal much - but the following two lines are reported after the menu item "nobootloader" was selected:
base-installer: warning: Unknown armhf subarchitecture 'unknown'.
base-installer: error existing on error base-installer/debootstrap failed.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

jerry.tk

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:02 am

Do you experience the same problem when using some different mirror?

jayne

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:00 pm

jerry.tk wrote:Do you experience the same problem when using some different mirror?
Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck with that - the problem still occurs when using a number of the other mirrors, although it's not quite the same, coz I am now seeing failures to connect to the mirror earlier in the install sequence :S
But when using the archive.raspbian.org site I have uncovered another clue ... after the step where the pi first acquires an IP address via DHCP I ran a continuous ping test to the pi from another computer ... and all was well until the step that does partitioning ... and during that step, (and after - when installing the base system), the ping was timing out - so the pi is losing its IP address and is not in touch with the internet during the install step - which seems to be the most likely cause of the failure to install the base system.
I wonder if this issue is similar to the reported problem with the older R1 version of the Pisces image (http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages) where an incompatible IP address had been hard-coded into the image??

mpthompson

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:48 pm

jayne wrote:I wonder if this issue is similar to the reported problem with the older R1 version of the Pisces image (http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages) where an incompatible IP address had been hard-coded into the image??
The Pisces R1 image had a problem where one of the configuration files expected the ethernet address (not the IP address) of the Raspberry Pi to be a specific value. The installer shouldn't be making any assumptions about the ethernet address of the Raspberry Pi.

I haven't used the installer for about 2 weeks so it's possible some issue did creep into the repository more recently that may be giving the installer grief. In the next day or so I'll test the installer and report back what I find.

jerry.tk

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:52 pm

There are no preconfigured IP addresses in installer. It tries to acquire IP address (and optionally also hostname) via DHCP and if that is not available, it asks for static address.
How about ready made Raspbian image? Is that working OK on your Pi? Judging by your description I would suspect some power- or USB- related problem which would also occur there.

Anyway, you can also obtain detailed installer logs. Most of time when installer waits for user input you can press Shift+F5 and it would bring you to extended installer menu. Run shell from there and do:

Code: Select all

mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt
Leave shell and save installer logs to /mnt directory you just mounted. This will result in logs being stored on FAT32 boot partition on your SD card.
If you manage to do that, please post your logs to pastebin.com and leave a link here.

vinull

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:55 am

Hello,

I just completed an install using the installer today on my Pi. I select to install the Desktop bits in addition to the SSH server and System bits, and on reboot the Pi went straight into X. I seem to have the keyboard and mouse problem though - neither work. SSH also looks to be set to deny connections by default, and I don't have a linux machine around - just Windows and OSX.

In Red Hat I used to use an interactive startup to keep the system from loading X - is there anything like that in Debian or other method I could use to boot to a consol first so I can try to fix the keyboard/mouse issues?

FYI - I used a SanDisk SDHC Class 6 card and the install was about 4 hours.

Thanks,
Mike

john.mills

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:06 am

Hello there,

If you spend a minute looking around you would see this topic:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=11005

I think this will help you with your issue of X starting first.

Best regards,

John

vinull

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi John,

If you "spend a minute" reading my post you would see I do not have control of the keyboard and SSH is blocked, making it hard to edit any files =)

If I can interrupt the startup before X is launched, I still have a working keyboard. So far I haven't found any way to do that with Debian.

Mike

jerry.tk

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Installing desktop via installer really takes a long time. I believe it is quicker to install just essential system + SSH using installer, then obtain kernel modules through rpi-update and only then apt-get install xorg + lxde-core. Not sure, but installing this way probably also doesn't run graphical login by default. At least it works this way on my RPi.

vinull

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:46 pm

I have a second SD card and I'm in that process right now. Once this system is up I'll try to get an SD Card Reader working with the Pi and go in to fix the first install from the second. At least make an attempt - it already has the desktop installed and would be a shame to have to overwrite that!

john.mills

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:07 pm

@ Mike: Apologies, I misunderstood your point about SSH. I didn't mean to berate your question.

jerry.tk

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:30 pm

I guess you could also try to copy installer kernel to your SD card, do a Shift+F5 trick I mentioned a few posts earlier at the very beginning of install, go to shell, mount root partition and edit necessary config files using nano which is included in the installer. Then just restore original kernel.img and enjoy console login.
Alternatively I imagine there might be similar functionality built in the official emergency kernel. Never tried that, though.
Or use a ready-made Raspbian image on that second card instead of doing time consuming install.

rwk

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:09 am

So, you need to have a USB keyboard and some type of monitor to attach to the raspberry pi in order to do this install. neither of which i have. I am doing this not for video. So, i'd like to do a headless install. But, I need to have a decent sized flash, so I bought a 16gb flash..and those images waste it.

Is there a way to make the config happen on windows/linux and then the install happen on the pi?

mpthompson

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:47 am

jerry.tk, do you think it would possible to create an updated version of the Raspbian installer that uses the foundations kernel and firmware packages? That way the latest kernel will be installed automatically without invoking rpi-update (if I understand how the original installer worked). I think the only thing that could be tricky is that the foundation kernel and firmware is kept in an independent repository from the main Raspbian repository.

jerry.tk

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Yes, I suppose it will be possible. Actually adding extra repositories seems to be well supported by debian installer/preseed.cfg and hopefully it will be possible to install firmware packages from there during install.
I suspect there will be some problems with firmware package /boot partition magic. I have some ideas how to work around this, need to run some tests first.

lomsdalen

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:34 pm

I am using the latest install-packet I found on rasperrypi.org and I get stuck at the point of entering the mirror-data to download. I have 5 different mirrors, including the one in the install guide. The installer informs me that there was an error in trying to connect with the specified debian archive. From what I can read from my routers connected items list it has got an IP-adress. Any suggestions?

mpthompson

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 pm

lomsdalen wrote:From what I can read from my routers connected items list it has got an IP-adress. Any suggestions?
Are you using the installer from here?

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

If so, could put the exact strings you are using for the "Please enter the hostname" and "Please enter the directory" settings and we can take a look at what the issue might be.

jerry.tk

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:05 pm

New installer version: installer, initramfs.

Changes:
  • - RPF official repository added to apt sources
    - Firmware installed from official packages (-dev and -doc libraries are not installed)
    - Kernel updated
    - rpi-update removed
Also Raspbian Installer page was updated with troubleshooting tips.

mpthompson

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:39 am

jerry.tk wrote:New installer version: installer, initramfs.
Terrific. I look forward to checking it out over the next day or two.

mikerr

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Just downloaded the installer from: http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller and extracted those files to a fat32 SD card,

boots ok, but similar to the above errors out at the first download (and have tried several mirrors) with same result:

red screen, "bad archive mirror"

Only problem I can see is a warning on console 4 (by pressing alt+F4):

Code: Select all

INFO: mirror does not have any suite symlinks
DEBUG: command wget -q http://archive.raspian.org/raspian/dist/testing/Release 
WARNING **: mirror does not support the specified release (testing)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jerry.tk

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Could you please test the last installer version from here?

Edit: you have a typo in directory name: raspian -> raspbian

Return to “Raspbian”