Defiant

GStreamer in Raspbian Jessie

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:09 am

I would like you to consider packing GStreamer 1.x correctly in Jessie and adding the gst-omx elements to it. Because right now with the current Raspbian packages GStreamer is close to useless on the Raspberry Pi.
What basically needs to be done is
a) recompilation of gst-plugins-bad1.0 with configure argument --with-egl-window-system=rpi to enable the eglglessink
b) addition of a new package gst-omx for the accelerated codecs. I have the source-package for you if you wish.

While you did not want Gst 1.0 and gst-omx in wheezy because of possible breaking packages [1], the situation with jessie is different. So please consider doing the above changes.

[1] http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 02#p291702

gkreidl

Re: GStreamer in Raspbian Jessie

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:40 pm

I really opt for that! We then could create webkit based browsers with real time video inside the browser window. All newer webkit releases support gstreamer-1.0 (or can be compiled with it).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

CopterRichie

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:42 pm

+1 for this addition.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Defiant wrote:I would like you to consider packing GStreamer 1.x correctly in Jessie and adding the gst-omx elements to it. Because right now with the current Raspbian packages GStreamer is close to useless on the Raspberry Pi.
What basically needs to be done is
a) recompilation of gst-plugins-bad1.0 with configure argument --with-egl-window-system=rpi to enable the eglglessink
I really want to keep the packages in raspbian main independent of the foundation libraries. So we need to find a way of packaging this from a seperate source package. Likely this will involve some use of dpkg diversions.

Do you know which plugins are changed by the use of that compiler swith?
b) addition of a new package gst-omx for the accelerated codecs. I have the source-package for you if you wish.
Please do.

Defiant

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm

As far as I know eglglessink is the only affected plugin, which is the default output plugin on rpi because it provides accelerated video output. It is also the only one that can be used to display high resolution video.

-

The changed gst-plugins-bad is a build dependency for gst-omx. You can find the source package for my gst-omx (upstream git #8b4ef3e) here:
dsc: gst-omx_1.1.0+20140102git8b4ef3e-1.dsc
tar: gst-omx_1.1.0+20140102git8b4ef3e-1.tar.gz

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Defiant wrote:As far as I know eglglessink is the only affected plugin, which is the default output plugin on rpi
What makes it the default? A setting somewhere? some kind of hardware detection?

Defiant

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 pm

GStreamer has a ranking system, but without the xv extension there actually is not much competition..

Return to “Raspbian”