waveform80

Submitting a package for picamera?

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm the author of a little python library for controlling the Raspberry Pi's camera module (without shelling out for raspistill and raspivid). Until now, the library has been living happily on PyPI (the Python package index) but by the time release 1.0 rolls around (which hopefully won't be long now - the library is basically stable and mostly complete), I'd really like users to have the ability to apt-get it (which will simplify upgrades for them).

I've recently managed to get some (hopefully appropriate) debian packages built from the library (python-picamera for python 2, python3-picamera for python 3, and python-picamera-docs for the documentation) and I was wondering if anyone could point me toward the process for submitting things for inclusion in Raspbian's repository (if such a process exists)?

I guess the obvious question is "why not submit it to Debian"? My only reason for this is that while the library can technically be installed anywhere (it's pure python - no compiled bits), it does depend on libmmal (specific to the Pi, I think?) and is for controlling the Pi's camera module, not a generic camera like a webcam, so it's really not of any interest to platforms other than the Pi.

Anyway, if anyone wants to check out the process I've used for building the packages, have a look at the github repository for the project. There's a "deb" target in the Makefile which fires off debuild for building the packages (you'll need the usual stuff installed - build-essentials, packaging-dev, python-dev, python3-dev, python-sphinx, probably other bits I've forgotten). I wouldn't recommend anyone actually install the resulting packages yet, though - at least until I get some word that I've actually done things more or less right! Basically, it's a tweaked version of the output of python-stdeb (tweaked to include a python 3 build, a separate docs package, and using the native format instead of quilt as the debian stuff is included in the repo).

Cheers,

Dave.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Submitting a package for picamera?

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi Dave,

Indeed mmal is raspi specific. I'll ping the people who do the packaging and see what interest there is - a lot I hope.

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jbeale

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I hope this library gets wider exposure. It is capable, easy to use and the documentation is quite well done. Even as a very casual Python programmer I was able to quickly write some useful camera applications with it to play with motion-detection, and long-exposure frame stacking. Getting some simple code working quickly was very rewarding.

I have a C background, but I found the existing C examples using the camera a much steeper hill to climb. In fact I have not yet managed to write anything useful for the camera in C.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Dave, I'm a fan of your library and I'm glad you've even got as far as producing .deb packages. That makes it super-easy for inclusion. We put pi-specific package in archive.raspberrypi.org (which is one of the default apt sources for all the official Foundation Raspbian and armel wheezy images). Drop me an email at [email protected] and we'll sort it out.

waveform80

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Many thanks for the kind words guys, and sorry for the delay in replying - for some reason I hadn't "watched" this thread so I didn't notice the replies for a while! I've bashed off a quick note to asb with links to test builds of the package to make sure I'm doing things correctly, but hopefully sometime early in the new year I'll finish off release 1.0 and add yet another section to the installation instructions ;)

Cheers,

Dave.

jbeale

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:13 pm

waveform80 wrote:Many thanks for the kind words guys, and sorry for the delay in replying - for some reason I hadn't "watched" this thread so I didn't notice the replies for a while!.
If you're logged in to the board, you can use the "view my posts" link to see everything you've posted in, with anything having recent activity at the top.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/searc ... =egosearch

Dutch_Master

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Quick question for my understanding: this is purely a library, not an application in its own right, correct? So in order to extract video from the Pi-Camera one needs to write the application that does this him/herself? (unlike raspistill and raspivideo)

It's great to have an Open Source alternative to proprietary parts of the RPi toolchain, just make sure it's fully legal!

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:It's great to have an Open Source alternative to proprietary parts of the RPi toolchain, just make sure it's fully legal!
Raspistill and raspivid are fully FOSS, the source is available at https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland. This is just a handy way of accessing the camera with a library interface via Python.

Dutch_Master

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Apols, missed that :oops:

Return to “Raspbian”