Bashster

Getting a Root terminal up

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi,

My Raspbian is configured to have to startx manually, so I normally never see the GUI, but for some reason it's gone all the way through this time and not having a USB mouse I can't close it down.
Can some kind soul tell me a key combination for getting a root terminal up so I can closedown via the command line? Cheers.

joan

Re: Getting a Root terminal up

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Not sure about the graphical i/f on the Pi.

I can use ctrl+alt+f1 to launch a system terminal and ctrl+alt+f7 to return.

andrum99

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 am

Bashster wrote:Hi,

My Raspbian is configured to have to startx manually, so I normally never see the GUI, but for some reason it's gone all the way through this time and not having a USB mouse I can't close it down.
Can some kind soul tell me a key combination for getting a root terminal up so I can closedown via the command line? Cheers.
By default Raspbian starts up with 6 virtual consoles, which allow logging in without entering the GUI. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_console). The GUI (X windows) will start on virtual console 7. To switch between them you can use the key combinations CTRL+ALT+F1 through to CTRL+ALT+F7.

Andrew.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Bashster wrote: Can some kind soul tell me a key combination for getting a root terminal up so I can closedown via the command line? Cheers.
Click the LXTerminal icon.
Enter: sudo shutdown -h now

Sit back and watch your RPi do a clean shutdown.

To get a root terminal where you can do stuff
Click the LXTerminal icon
Enter: sudo -i

Run away happy in the knowledge that all the commands you can enter could potentially wipe out your whole system.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Raspbian”