robertof

Chromium on raspbian

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:17 am

Hi,

I'm working on a prototype using RPi and raspbian and in order to achieve that I must use a chrome compatible browser. Raspbian has chromium in it, but it's slightly outdated (it's version 22 while, for example, debian wheezy has version 31). Are there plans for upgrading the raspbian version using the same one wheezy uses?

MoosePi

Re: Chromium on raspbian

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:08 pm

If you wish to have newer than take a look at Arch Linux Arm, they offer version 30, admittedly Arch is a command line distro, though a web browser can be run in "Kiosk Mode" if you do not want or need the overhead of a Desktop Environment:

"armv6 extra chromium 30.0.1599.101-1 The open-source project behind Google Chrome"

http://archlinuxarm.org/packages
Pi Forum Search and Google yields answers to many questions

taketwo4you

Re: Chromium on raspbian

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:01 am

Hello,

I have very similar goals. MoosePi, could you expand your answer or point to any good guides? I'm new to Arch (especially on the Pi) and I'd tried to get Chromium running on Arch, but I wasn't able to get X running.

We're trying to set up kiosks using touchscreen monitors and Pis. The site is well designed for kiosks(on screen keyboards for any input needed, nothing opens new windows or tabs) so running Chromium with the kiosk tag is what we want, but we'd like it to be secure. We want it to boot and launch straight into Chromium and if someone were somehow able to crash/close Chromium, we'd like it to restart.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”