gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:28 pm

It seems that the dependency issues have been fixed.
Run the apt-get install command again and report back if there are any problems left.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

sassabetudo
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:29 pm

I want play dts audio with vlc installed in raspberry pi 3.

My raspberry pi 3 is connected to sony receiver (hdmi port).

When I play vlc, receiver does not turn on dts led.

How do I adjust vlc audio settings for receiver show on dts led?

willy_pinguino
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I've read only a part of this discussion then forgive me if I ask something that some other user had ask before...

in a play list loop, made in vlc, there is the same freeze time than in omx player when go from one vid to the other, playing a folder of vids?

I cannot try it just now, here I got only a RPi 1, and I cannot compile VLC on it...

if not, someone can suggest me an other way to skip the freezing time from a video to another? I need to build a paler machine, but the time of charging (freezing time) make RPi unusable for it :(((

thanks in advance for every answer :)

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:18 am

willy_pinguino wrote:I've read only a part of this discussion then forgive me if I ask something that some other user had ask before...

in a play list loop, made in vlc, there is the same freeze time than in omx player when go from one vid to the other, playing a folder of vids?

I cannot try it just now, here I got only a RPi 1, and I cannot compile VLC on it...

if not, someone can suggest me an other way to skip the freezing time from a video to another? I need to build a paler machine, but the time of charging (freezing time) make RPi unusable for it :(((

thanks in advance for every answer :)
All video players need a certain amount of time to analyze a video file, set up some buffer etc. This highly depends on the container format of the video. Large avi files are much slower to start than MKV files, for example.
omxplayer can only play one file and has to be started again for the next video, which produces some overhead. VLC doesn't have this overhead once it is started. So when playing an m3u playlists with videos using VLC the pause between videos is definitely smaller than running the same playlist with omxplayerGUI (which starts a new omxplayer binary for each video).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

willy_pinguino
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks for the answer...

I've used omxd to cut a little the wait but still there is a latency from the end of a video and the start of the next one, now I'm willing to test it with vlc.

by the way, in your experience is easy/possible to use shell comands to controll vlc? from remote too via ssh?
I need controll it from a script and remotely but without the http interface

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:36 am

willy_pinguino wrote:Thanks for the answer...

I've used omxd to cut a little the wait but still there is a latency from the end of a video and the start of the next one, now I'm willing to test it with vlc.

by the way, in your experience is easy/possible to use shell comands to controll vlc? from remote too via ssh?
I need controll it from a script and remotely but without the http interface
Yes. you can use cvlc with matching command line options or "vlc --interface=dummy ..." (or similar).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:41 am

since my vlc broken, have to recompile again.
this time update firmware userland to kernel-4.4.48-v7+ #962 and vlc-2.2.git it tag 2.2.5, and enable-mmal.
now, with mmal_vout can play dvb-t TV-SD full scareen perfect, TV-HD only one picture(clear) & audio(good).

ps. that is on Pi2, someone may test on Pi3?

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 am

cjan wrote:since my vlc broken, have to recompile again.
this time update firmware userland to kernel-4.4.48-v7+ #962 and vlc-2.2.git it tag 2.2.5, and enable-mmal.
now, with mmal_vout can play dvb-t TV-SD full scareen perfect, TV-HD only one picture(clear) & audio(good).

ps. that is on Pi2, someone may test on Pi3?
All versions I compiled with mmal crashed sooner or later. VLC (2.2.4) compiled as described in the OP works like a charm on both RPi2 and 3, including full HD.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mruano
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:05 pm

When I get to this step, I get this error:

[email protected]:~/vlc-2.2.4 $ make -j3
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I have a RP3

Thanks in advance for any advice.

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:39 pm

mruano wrote:When I get to this step, I get this error:

[email protected]:~/vlc-2.2.4 $ make -j3
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I have a RP3

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Did you run "./bootstrap" successfully?

Did you run './configure' (with all the flags and options as in the OP) successfully?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer


gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:33 am

mruano wrote:Yes, I did
And you are sure you are still in the same directory? The Makefile is produced by the configure script.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mruano
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 am

I am not aware of having changed directory, in which directory am I supposed to be in?

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:35 am

mruano wrote:I am not aware of having changed directory, in which directory am I supposed to be in?
Inise the vlc-2.2.4 directory.

Why don't you simply run configure again?

Code: Select all

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -I/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vchiq_arm -I/opt/vc/include/IL -I/opt/vc/include/GLES2 -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -I/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vchiq_arm -I/opt/vc/include/IL -mfloat-abi=hard -I/opt/vc/include/GLES2 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-omxil --enable-omxil-vout --enable-rpi-omxil --disable-mmal-codec --disable-mmal-vout --enable-gles2 --enable-gles1
Last edited by gkreidl on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mruano
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks for the prompt response.

Am I supposed to be in the vlc-2.2.2 directory to re-run configure?

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:12 pm

mruano wrote:Thanks for the prompt response.

Am I supposed to be in the vlc-2.2.2 directory to re-run configure?
Yes, everything has to be run from inside this directory. It should be version 2.2.4 by now (fixed the typo above).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mruano
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks again

I noticed my vlc-2.2.4 directory is still under the downloads directory (where it was extracted. Would that be causing problems?

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:16 pm

mruano wrote:Thanks again

I noticed my vlc-2.2.4 directory is still under the downloads directory (where it was extracted. Would that be causing problems?
No, as long as you cd into this directory to run all the commands (bootstrap, configure, make).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mruano
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:22 am

It worked!!

Thank you so much!

richardcgiroux
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Fri May 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Has anyone successfully compiled VLC lately?

I've tried a few instruction sets but no luck. I can eventually get it to compile but it doesn't work as expected. (ie. no HW acceleration)

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Fri May 12, 2017 9:15 pm

richardcgiroux wrote:Has anyone successfully compiled VLC lately?

I've tried a few instruction sets but no luck. I can eventually get it to compile but it doesn't work as expected. (ie. no HW acceleration)
Which "few instruction sets"?
We are still on Jessie and the way described in the OP should work (I've compiled it at least a dozen times).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Bryanrc
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue May 16, 2017 12:41 am

gkreidl wrote:
cjan wrote:since my vlc broken, have to recompile again.
this time update firmware userland to kernel-4.4.48-v7+ #962 and vlc-2.2.git it tag 2.2.5, and enable-mmal.
now, with mmal_vout can play dvb-t TV-SD full scareen perfect, TV-HD only one picture(clear) & audio(good).

ps. that is on Pi2, someone may test on Pi3?
All versions I compiled with mmal crashed sooner or later. VLC (2.2.4) compiled as described in the OP works like a charm on both RPi2 and 3, including full HD.
Is their a way I could get a copy of your work. I cannot get it to work for me. I trued to install VLC but I am doing something wrong and I am getting flustered. Please

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue May 16, 2017 7:04 am

Bryanrc wrote:
Is their a way I could get a copy of your work. I cannot get it to work for me. I trued to install VLC but I am doing something wrong and I am getting flustered. Please
No, it's too large.
If you follow the OP step by step, it should work. If you run into problems, post a clear description of the problem and I might be able to help. "I am doing something wrong" is not a useful description.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

richardcgiroux
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 pm

I went back to the OP and followed the instructions. I get this error: "libavutil version 55 and later are not supported"

I modified the configure.ac file as per instruction here:

https://github.com/gobolinux/Recipes/bl ... _3.0.patch

The ./bootstrap and CFLAGS=... command work but "make -j3" fails to compile. Lots of errors about "recipe for all target failed"

gkreidl
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Wed May 17, 2017 3:44 am

richardcgiroux wrote:I went back to the OP and followed the instructions. I get this error: "libavutil version 55 and later are not supported"

I modified the configure.ac file as per instruction here:

https://github.com/gobolinux/Recipes/bl ... _3.0.patch

The ./bootstrap and CFLAGS=... command work but "make -j3" fails to compile. Lots of errors about "recipe for all target failed"
Current libavutil is 54. Did you update to stretch?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Raspbian”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests