gkreidl

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:52 am

cjan wrote:when do 'git pull' from git, does need 'bootstrap & configure' over again?
A bit off topic, because this tutorial does not cover the git approach, but yes, you should always run all commends.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi 2/3

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 am

stretch has newer ffmpeg, but vlc-2.2.6 need older ffmpeg/libav, any idea?

gkreidl

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:40 am

cjan wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 am
stretch has newer ffmpeg, but vlc-2.2.6 need older ffmpeg/libav, any idea?
Yes, carefully checking all package dependencies and then recompile VLC.
I'll update my tutorial for Stretch some day, but I have not even updated my systems yet and it will take some time.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

dherman

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

I was able to get the git release (3.0) to compile. the --disable-* configure directives do not work anymore, so I had to hand edit the Makefile to remove reference to mmal and libva (VAAPI) support.

It's buggy, but it appears to work

VirgileS

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Can someone explain briefly how to compile VLC with HW acceleration on Stretch ? I've searched for hours and didn't find anything.

gkreidl

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:56 am

VirgileS wrote:
Can someone explain briefly how to compile VLC with HW acceleration on Stretch ? I've searched for hours and didn't find anything.
That's nothing which can be explained (and done) briefly.
Install synaptic and check the whole list of dependencies. If something is missing, look for replacements (some libraries may have a new name, not just a new version number). Install them.
Run *.configure* (with all the settings from the OP) repeatedly and watch all the messages and especially the result at the end. A few things will always be missing, because they are not available on Debian/Raspbian.
Finally run "make" and if it compiles correctly, run "sudo make install".

Martin Frezman

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Once again, the question has to be asked:

Why can't someone, who has, in fact, already done it, do it, and make the binary publicly available???

Why does it have to be distributed in "kit form only" ???
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

gkreidl

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm
Once again, the question has to be asked:

Why can't someone, who has, in fact, already done it, do it, and make the binary publicly available???

Why does it have to be distributed in "kit form only" ???
Because VLC is not a simlple binary, consist of a number of Debian packages, the "make install" process is rather complex and not easy to catch (e. g. with checkinstall). Creating the separate Raspbian packages from the source distribution is not a simple task and involves quite a lot of work.

The RPi has been built for learning and it is not a bad experience learning to compile a rather complex application.

But feel free to do the work and publish it on some server.

Martin Frezman

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:39 pm

But feel free to do the work and publish it on some server.
Heh heh...

If *YOU*, who are presumably the expert on this, can't do it, it is NBL that I'd have any luck.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

feelslikeautumn

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:59 pm

It's not that hard to package something up into a deb. In fact it is quite easy if somebody has done it before and you are just making small changes, applying patches or whatever.

The problem is (quite rightly) that people are reluctant to install binaries from strangers. (see my compiz and lubuntu ISO threads)

There is already a version of vlc with hardware accelerated playback packaged up. See https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-pi-flavou ... /+packages . I don't know if that works in stretch, but it shouldn't be too hard to recompile and distribute.

MikeK

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:45 am

gkreidl wrote:
VirgileS wrote:
Install synaptic and check the whole list of dependencies. If something is missing, look for replacements (some libraries may have a new name, not just a new version number). Install them.
Run *.configure* (with all the settings from the OP) repeatedly and watch all the messages and especially the result at the end. A few things will always be missing, because they are not available on Debian/Raspbian.
Finally run "make" and if it compiles correctly, run "sudo make install".
OK. I decided to give your outline a shot based on your OP. But first I installed synaptic and did my best to check the dependencies. Here's what synaptic wanted to install (based on vlc-2.2.6.1).

libproxy-tools
libvlc-bin
libvlc5
libvlccore8
vlc-bin
vlc-data
vlc-l10n
vlc-plugin-base
vlc-plugin-notify
vlc-plugin-qt
vlc-plugin-samba
vlc-plugin-skins2
vlc-plugin-video-output
vlc-plugon-video-splitter
vlc-plugon-visualization

All of these appeared to install without error.

Next I download the vlc-2.2.6 source. Here are the (modified) steps I attempted.

Code: Select all

wget http://download.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.6/vlc-2.2.6.tar.xz
tar -xJf vlc-2.2.6.tar.xz
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install autopoint gettext liba52-0.7.4-dev libaa1-dev libasound2-dev libass-dev libavahi-client-dev libavc1394-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libbluray-dev libcaca-dev libcddb2-dev libcdio-dev libchromaprint-dev libdbus-1-dev libdc1394-22-dev libdca-dev libdirectfb-dev libdvbpsi-dev libdvdnav-dev libdvdread-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libfluidsynth-dev libfreerdp-dev libfreetype6-dev libfribidi-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgles1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libgnutls28-dev libgtk2.0-dev libidn11-dev libiso9660-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libkate-dev liblircclient-dev liblivemedia-dev liblua5.2-dev libmad0-dev libmatroska-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmtp-dev libncursesw5-dev libnotify-dev libogg-dev libomxil-bellagio-dev libopus-dev libpng12-dev libpulse-dev libqt4-dev libraw1394-dev libresid-builder-dev librsvg2-dev libsamplerate0-dev libschroedinger-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libshine-dev libshout3-dev libsidplay2-dev libsmbclient-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev libssh2-1-dev libswscale-dev libtag1-dev libtheora-dev libtwolame-dev libudev-dev libupnp-dev libv4l-dev libva-dev libvcdinfo-dev libvdpau-dev libvncserver-dev libvorbis-dev libx11-dev libx264-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb1-dev libxext-dev libxinerama-dev libxml2-dev libxpm-dev libzvbi-dev lua5.2 oss4-dev pkg-config zlib1g-dev libtool build-essential autoconf
cd vlc-2.2.6
./bootstrap
CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -I/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vchiq_arm -I/opt/vc/include/IL -I/opt/vc/include/GLES2 -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -I/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vchiq_arm -I/opt/vc/include/IL -mfloat-abi=hard -I/opt/vc/include/GLES2 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-omxil --enable-omxil-vout --enable-rpi-omxil --disable-mmal-codec --disable-mmal-vout --enable-gles2
At this point, and after what seemed considerable positive checks, the ./configure had a few warnings and finally failed as follows.

checking DeckLinkAPIDispatch.cpp usability... no
checking DeckLinkAPIDispatch.cpp presence... no
checking for DeckLinkAPIDispatch.cpp... no
configure: WARNING: Blackmagic DeckLink SDI include files not found
checking for GNOMEVFS... no
configure: WARNING: Library gnome-vfs-2.0 needed for gnomevfs was not found
checking for libavutil variant... ffmpeg
checking for GST_APP... no
configure: WARNING: No package 'gstreamer-app-1.0' found. GStreamer modules will not be built.
checking for AVCODEC... yes
configure: error: libavutil versions 55 and later are not supported.
pi@raspberrypi:~/vlc-2.2.6 $

As my experience with this type of activity is extremely limited, I'm not at all sure how to proceed. Am I nowhere or is it looking promising? If the latter, can you suggest what I might try next?

cjan

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:12 am

MikeK wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:45 am
configure: WARNING: No package 'gstreamer-app-1.0' found. GStreamer modules will not be built.
pi@raspberrypi:~/vlc-2.2.6 $

As my experience with this type of activity is extremely limited, I'm not at all sure how to proceed. Am I nowhere or is it looking promising? If the latter, can you suggest what I might try next?
as my post 6 upper, you need a patch for vlc-2.2.6 compile under stretch.

MikeK

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm

cjan wrote: as my post 6 upper, you need a patch for vlc-2.2.6 compile under stretch.
My apologies. I didn't take note of that. I applied those patches and had much greater success for the build. The make and install completed but, after starting VLC, I wasn't able to select 'OpenMAX IL video ouput' because that item doesn't appear in the list! The default setting of 'automatic' doesn't cut it. I get audio but only one, still video frame. I've obviously missed something. BTW, this is using a USB DVB stick as the source.

KingOfLostFools

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Yup, getting the same problem trying to compile on an RPi 3 with latest updates

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -I/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vchiq_arm -I/opt/vc/include/IL -I/opt/vc/include/GLES2 -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -I/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vchiq_arm -I/opt/vc/include/IL -mfloat-abi=hard -I/opt/vc/include/GLES2 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-omxil --enable-omxil-vout --enable-rpi-omxil --disable-mmal-codec --disable-mmal-vout --enable-gles2
...checking...checking...checking followed by:

[color=#FF0000]configure: error: libavutil versions 55 and later are not supported.[/color]
I've tried patching the configure.ac followed by an autoconf and rebuild, but that just made matters worse.

Completely stuck at the moment. :-(

I looked at the patch, but couldn't figure out where / how to apply it.
Time is the fire in which we burn - Delmore Schwartz

cjan

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:28 am

KingOfLostFools wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm
I looked at the patch, but couldn't figure out where / how to apply it.
patch -Np1 -i ../vlc-2.2.6-ffmpeg3-1.patch
sed -i 's/error-implicit-function-declaration//' configure

KingOfLostFools

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks for the guidance. I tried that but still ended up with the same issue.

pi@RPI3:~/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6 $ vi vlc-2.2.6-ffmpeg3-1.patch
pi@RPI3:~/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6 $ patch -Np1 -i vlc-2.2.6-ffmpeg3-1.patch
pi@RPI3:~/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6 $ sed -i 's/error-implicit-function-declaration//' configure
pi@RPI3:~/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6 $ autoconf
pi@RPI3:~/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6 $ ./bootstrap

generating modules/**/Makefile.am
+ autoreconf --install --force --verbose -I m4
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: running: autopoint --force
Copying file po/Makevars.template
autoreconf: running: aclocal -I m4 --force -I m4
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: running: libtoolize --copy --force
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `autotools'.
libtoolize: copying file `autotools/ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
libtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf --include=m4 --force
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader --include=m4 --force
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
autoreconf: Leaving directory `.'
+ rm -f po/Makevars.template
+ rm -f stamp-h*
+ set +x
Successfully bootstrapped
pi@RPI3:~/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6 $ CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -I/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vchiq_arm -I/opt/vc/include/IL -I/opt/vc/include/GLES2 -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -I/opt/vc/include/interface/mmal -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vchiq_arm -I/opt/vc/include/IL -mfloat-abi=hard -I/opt/vc/include/GLES2 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-omxil --enable-omxil-vout --enable-rpi-omxil --disable-mmal-codec --disable-mmal-vout --enable-gles2
checking build system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
checking host system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

...lots of checking later...

checking for mad.h... yes
checking for mad_bit_init in -lmad... yes

gkreidl

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:38 am

Maybe you should apply the patch after running './bootstrap'

KingOfLostFools

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:23 am

gkreidl wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:38 am
Maybe you should apply the patch after running './bootstrap'
Thanks for that. It helped move me forward...

Still fails the make though :-(

tar -xJf vlc-2.2.6.tar.xz
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install autopoint gettext liba52-0.7.4-dev libaa1-dev libasound2-dev libass-dev libavahi-client-dev libavc1394-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libbluray-dev libcaca-dev libcddb2-dev libcdio-dev libchromaprint-dev libdbus-1-dev libdc1394-22-dev libdca-dev libdirectfb-dev libdvbpsi-dev libdvdnav-dev libdvdread-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libfluidsynth-dev libfreerdp-dev libfreetype6-dev libfribidi-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgles1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libgnutls28-dev libgtk2.0-dev libidn11-dev libiso9660-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libkate-dev liblircclient-dev liblivemedia-dev liblua5.2-dev libmad0-dev libmatroska-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmtp-dev libncursesw5-dev libnotify-dev libogg-dev libomxil-bellagio-dev libopus-dev libpng12-dev libpulse-dev libqt4-dev libraw1394-dev libresid-builder-dev librsvg2-dev libsamplerate0-dev libschroedinger-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libshine-dev libshout3-dev libsidplay2-dev libsmbclient-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev libssh2-1-dev libswscale-dev libtag1-dev libtheora-dev libtwolame-dev libudev-dev libupnp-dev libv4l-dev libva-dev libvcdinfo-dev libvdpau-dev libvncserver-dev libvorbis-dev libx11-dev libx264-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb1-dev libxext-dev libxinerama-dev libxml2-dev libxpm-dev libzvbi-dev lua5.2 oss4-dev pkg-config zlib1g-dev libtool build-essential autoconf
cd vlc-2.2.6
./bootstrap
vi vlc-2.2.6-ffmpeg3-1.patch
patch -Np1 -i vlc-2.2.6-ffmpeg3-1.patch
make

now fails with:

make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6'
Making all in compat
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/compat'
make all-am
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/compat'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for 'all-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/compat'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/compat'
Making all in doc
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/doc'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/doc'
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/po'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/po'
Making all in share
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/share'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/share'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/src'
GEN stamp-revision
fatal: Not a git repository: '../.git/'
make all-am
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/src'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for 'all-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/src'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/src'
Making all in modules
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/modules'
make all-recursive
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/modules'
Making all in .
make[4]: Entering directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/modules'
CCLD libavio_plugin.la
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libx264.a(common.o): relocation R_ARM_MOVW_ABS_NC against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libx264.a: error adding symbols: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:5309: recipe for target 'libavio_plugin.la' failed
make[4]: *** [libavio_plugin.la] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/modules'
Makefile:9642: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/modules'
Makefile:4515: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6/modules'
Makefile:2253: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/Downloads/vlc-2.2.6'
Makefile:2137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

MikeK

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Apologies for taking so long to report on the last attempt. I was dealing with another can of worms. Probably should not have tried to migrate to a Pi Desktop, swap to booting from an onboard mSATA SSD and try to get the latest version of VLC working with Stretch :x

Anyway, this may have worked in my favour because it forced me to retry from a completely 'clean' Stretch installation. I'm very happy to report that I have a working version of VLC 2.2.6 on Stretch!

I again went through the steps as described in the OP and my previous posting above. However, I found, for whatever reason, the dependencies had changed slightly. The 'sudo apt-get install...' step required changing from what I had in my previous post. What worked for me this time is as follows.

sudo apt-get install autopoint gettext liba52-0.7.4-dev libaa1-dev libasound2-dev libass-dev libavahi-client-dev libavc1394-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libbluray-dev libcaca-dev libcairo2-dev libcddb2-dev libcdio-dev libchromaprint-dev libdbus-1-dev libdc1394-22-dev libdca-dev libdirectfb-dev libdvbpsi-dev libdvdnav-dev libdvdread-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libfluidsynth-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfreerdp-dev libfribidi-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgles1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libgnutls28-dev libgtk2.0-dev libidn11-dev libiso9660-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libkate-dev liblircclient-dev liblivemedia-dev liblua5.2-dev libmad0-dev libmatroska-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmtp-dev libncursesw5-dev libnotify-dev libpango1.0-dev libogg-dev libomxil-bellagio-dev libopus-dev libpng-dev libpulse-dev libqt4-dev libraw1394-dev libresid-builder-dev librsvg2-dev libsamplerate0-dev libschroedinger-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libshine-dev libshout3-dev libsidplay2-dev libslang2-dev libsmbclient-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev libssh2-1-dev libswscale-dev libtag1-dev libtheora-dev libtwolame-dev libudev-dev libupnp-dev libv4l-dev libva-dev libvcdinfo-dev libvdpau-dev libvncserver-dev libvorbis-dev libx264-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxinerama-dev libxml2-dev libxpm-dev libzvbi-dev lua5.2 oss4-dev libtool autoconf
The remaining steps worked as described. In addition, the 'OpenMAX IL' video output option is available to select this time around.

May be a good idea for someone to confirm this result and when Mr gkreidl has some time and sees fit, could update the OP?

Cheers,
Mike

langlulach

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Yep, i tried it also and it‘s working!
Thanks Mike!
Oh, and a notice, takes almost 2 hours to compile lol

And one more tip from me, close every running app/program, i had Chrome opened during the compiling and it froze, so i had to switch my RPi off.
I hate Stretch... Everything works so horrible and it works way too slow with lots of freezing.

gkreidl

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm

langlulach wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 pm
Yep, i tried it also and it‘s working!
Thanks Mike!
Oh, and a notice, takes almost 2 hours to compile lol

And one more tip from me, close every running app/program, i had Chrome opened during the compiling and it froze, so i had to switch my RPi off.
I hate Stretch... Everything works so horrible and it works way too slow with lots of freezing.
Compiling with multiple cores uses a lot of memory. Close as many applications as possible and use only 3 cores (-j 3). Chromium is a memory hog and many web pages are so badly designed that they use lots of memory in the browser.

langlulach

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm
Compiling with multiple cores uses a lot of memory. Close as many applications as possible and use only 3 cores (-j 3). Chromium is a memory hog and many web pages are so badly designed that they use lots of memory in the browser.
I used make -j3 during the compiling.
I always wondered what that -j3 meant, now i know thanks to You gkreidl, thanks for everything :)

I don‘t know, for me Jessie was way better, Stretch is horrible... It‘s hanging even when You just simply select a file. Sometimes after selection if You clicked somewhere else to clear the selection a blue shadow will remain over the previously selected file.

gkreidl

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 am

Discussion about compilation of hardware accelerated VLC on Raspbian Stretch should continue in this new tutorial thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=195221.

JMastaC4

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 pm

pi@*******:~/Downloads/vlc-2.2.5.1 $ make -j3 
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
Hmm... what to do now?
Whelp im stuck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Guess Ill just stick to old OMXPlayer.

Return to “Raspbian”