plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - complete tutorial

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:59 am

gkreidl wrote:I mailed with a member of the Collabora team yesterday and they'll try to fix the dependency problem.
Did you point them at the repo I set up?

gkreidl

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

plugwash wrote:
gkreidl wrote:I mailed with a member of the Collabora team yesterday and they'll try to fix the dependency problem.
Did you point them at the repo I set up?
I wrote about it but did not supply the address. I'll send them more details.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

SamuelNel

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:08 pm

plugwash wrote:did yo run apt-get update after editing sources.list? if so did it complete successfully?
I didn't do anything with the sources.list. I didn't see any step talking about it.

@Gkreidl I think ill try a different image and see if that works.

Micha1982

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Works for me, too now @GKreidl, many thanks.

But I have still some questions/problems:
I now have 2 folders in home, ´vlc´ (from repo-install) and ´vlc-gpu´ (with files from you?) - which one can I delete?
And is it possible now to uninstall files from compiling? Library-packages I´ve installed before (post 1, 3rd code-quote) for example? Or are they still necessary now?

Furthermore I got a problem with screen-location of videoplayback in VLC and OMX now, but I am not sure if it is overlay-configuration related...yesterday I changed my resolution from 1080 in 13**x800(?) and adjusted black borders with overlay-function in config.txt. I did only one test with vlc-player before, but when I remember right, the played video fitted exactly to the player, but I am not totally sure.

Whatever, now - on 13**x800 with overlay activated the video-playback does not fit anymore the player...in Omxplayer same as in Vlc. Size seems ok but it does not fit the border, in Omxplayer for example it is shifted a bit above the top left corner of the program itself...anyone an idea what that is?
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

gkreidl

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 pm

You can safely delete the "VLC" github compile folder, if you like. You should keep my patch folder, because you have to use it again if you get a VLC update via apt-get.

If the framebuffer does not match the physical screen resolution you will always have problems with overlay programs like omxplayer, VLC with OMx output, pi3d and other GL ES software etc. which are not even aware of the framebuffer.

If you want to use another screen resolution use the matching video group&mode settings in config.txt, but don't touch the framebuffer size.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Micha1982

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:22 pm

My framebuffer-prob is now solved with 'overscan_scale=1' in config.txt.

And what about things installed in post 1- your tut - code-quote 3, the libs and so on? Can I remove them or are they necessary after compiling?

Btw, and why do I need your folder if a vlc-update is coming? How do I recognize and what do I need to do then?

gkreidl

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Micha1982 wrote:My framebuffer-prob is now solved with 'overscan_scale=1' in config.txt.

And what about things installed in post 1- your tut - code-quote 3, the libs and so on? Can I remove them or are they necessary after compiling?

Btw, and why do I need your folder if a vlc-update is coming? How do I recognize and what do I need to do then?
If you don't want to compile VLC any more (not possible right now anyway), you can safely remove all -dev packages.

If you get an VLC update via apt-get, it will overwrite most of the files. Then you have to overwrite them again with the HW accelerated version.

Micha1982

Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Ok, I am sure I need to ask how when this happen, but until then I packed my folder and keep it.
However, many thanks. Hopefully a working version with hw-acceleration would still find its way to repo....

gkreidl

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:44 am

Micha1982 wrote:Ok, I am sure I need to ask how when this happen, but until then I packed my folder and keep it.
However, many thanks. Hopefully a working version with hw-acceleration would still find its way to repo....
In a few months, Jessie will become the stable release (it has been frozen a few days ago). Then we'll get a much newer version of VLC anyway. And if it doesn't include the HW acclereation for the RPi, we can compile it and create a .deb package.

LvdP

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:47 pm

When trying to install the the dependencies:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install liba52-0.7.4-dev libdirac-dev libdvdread-dev libkate-dev libass-dev libbluray-dev libcddb2-dev libdca-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libmad0-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libogg-dev libopencv-dev libpostproc-dev libshout3-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev libssh2-1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libopus-dev libschroedinger-dev libsmbclient-dev libtwolame-dev libx264-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libzvbi-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev librsvg2-dev libsamplerate0-dev libudev-dev libmtp-dev libupnp6-dev libnotify-dev libdvbpsi-dev libgme-dev libebml-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libsidplay2-dev libva-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libchromaprint-dev libxpm-dev libncurses5-dev libsidplay1-dev libtar-dev libqt4-dev libncursesw5-dev
it fails on some unmet dependencies.

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libopencv-dev : Depends: libopencv-objdetect-dev (= 2.4.1+dfsg-0exp2rpi2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-highgui-dev (= 2.4.1+dfsg-0exp2rpi2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-legacy-dev (= 2.4.1+dfsg-0exp2rpi2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-contrib-dev (= 2.4.1+dfsg-0exp2rpi2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-videostab-dev (= 2.4.1+dfsg-0exp2rpi2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libcv-dev (= 2.4.1+dfsg-0exp2rpi2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libhighgui-dev (= 2.4.1+dfsg-0exp2rpi2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libcvaux-dev (= 2.4.1+dfsg-0exp2rpi2) but it is not going to be installed
Can someone point me in the right direction, about how to solve this?

thx!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Can you try.

sudo apt-get install liba52-0.7.4-dev libdirac-dev libdvdread-dev libkate-dev libass-dev libbluray-dev libcddb2-dev libdca-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libmad0-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libogg-dev libopencv-dev libpostproc-dev libshout3-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev libssh2-1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libopus-dev libschroedinger-dev libsmbclient-dev libtwolame-dev libx264-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libzvbi-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev librsvg2-dev libsamplerate0-dev libudev-dev libmtp-dev libupnp6-dev libnotify-dev libdvbpsi-dev libgme-dev libebml-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libsidplay2-dev libva-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libchromaprint-dev libxpm-dev libncurses5-dev libsidplay1-dev libtar-dev libqt4-dev libncursesw5-dev libopencv-objdetect-dev  libopencv-highgui-dev libopencv-legacy-dev  libopencv-contrib-dev  libopencv-videostab-dev  libcv-dev libhighgui-dev libcvaux-dev

LvdP

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Than i receive this message

libopencv-highgui-dev : Depends: libavcodec-dev (>= 0.svn20080206) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libavformat-dev but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libswscale-dev but it is not going to be installed

gkreidl

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 pm

which version are you trying to compile?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm

LvdP wrote:Than i receive this message

libopencv-highgui-dev : Depends: libavcodec-dev (>= 0.svn20080206) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libavformat-dev but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libswscale-dev but it is not going to be installed
Ok now try

sudo apt-get install liba52-0.7.4-dev libdirac-dev libdvdread-dev libkate-dev libass-dev libbluray-dev libcddb2-dev libdca-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libmad0-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libogg-dev libopencv-dev libpostproc-dev libshout3-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev libssh2-1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libopus-dev libschroedinger-dev libsmbclient-dev libtwolame-dev libx264-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libzvbi-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev librsvg2-dev libsamplerate0-dev libudev-dev libmtp-dev libupnp6-dev libnotify-dev libdvbpsi-dev libgme-dev libebml-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libsidplay2-dev libva-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libchromaprint-dev libxpm-dev libncurses5-dev libsidplay1-dev libtar-dev libqt4-dev libncursesw5-dev libopencv-objdetect-dev  libopencv-highgui-dev libopencv-legacy-dev  libopencv-contrib-dev  libopencv-videostab-dev  libcv-dev libhighgui-dev libcvaux-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev  libswscale-dev

Orvid

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:20 am

Well, I hope the dependency issue gets fixed soon, although vlc does build correctly if you don't have the package that has that extra dependency, which I've now done, the only problem with the resulting build is that I can't get any video output at all, which I probably should have expected.

gkreidl

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:54 am

Orvid wrote:Well, I hope the dependency issue gets fixed soon, although vlc does build correctly if you don't have the package that has that extra dependency, which I've now done, the only problem with the resulting build is that I can't get any video output at all, which I probably should have expected.
Plugwash has provided a solution with a special repository and Marco Barisione has also tried to fix it, but his fix hasn't found its way into the foundation repository yet.

SamuelNel

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi all,

I finally fixed the broken dependencies thanks to PlugWash and got everything to compile correctly. I followed every step now twice and when i try and run a video via the terminal I always keep getting this error.

[017007d0] chain filter error: Too high level of recursion (2)
[01700078] core filter error: Failed to create video filter2
[016ff5d8] core filter error: Failed to create video filter2
[016f62d8] core vout display error: Failed to create video filter2
[016f62d8] core vout display error: Failed to adapt decoder format to display
Segmentation fault

Anyone know how to fix this?

happyusers

Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:01 pm

Hello,
I am new to Raspberry, I got a B+ one and as many others I am disappointed by the way omxplayer reads video. I would like to have my favorite reader VLC functionnal but it seems that without hardware acceleration it will never be usable. I tried to compile vlc sources without success (many warnings on ./configure step due to incoherent libraries). I uploaded a pre compiles bin (http://www.mrvestek.com/hosted/vlc_hw_raspberry.rar) but dont know what to do with it. Is there a bin file I could drop into my existing version? Where? and wouldn't there be incompatibilities with existing libraries. I would be pleased to have advice in order to get full advantage of my Raspberry. Thank you.

gkreidl

Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:53 pm

happyusers wrote:Hello,
I am new to Raspberry, I got a B+ one and as many others I am disappointed by the way omxplayer reads video. I would like to have my favorite reader VLC functionnal but it seems that without hardware acceleration it will never be usable. I tried to compile vlc sources without success (many warnings on ./configure step due to incoherent libraries). I uploaded a pre compiles bin (http://www.mrvestek.com/hosted/vlc_hw_raspberry.rar) but dont know what to do with it. Is there a bin file I could drop into my existing version? Where? and wouldn't there be incompatibilities with existing libraries. I would be pleased to have advice in order to get full advantage of my Raspberry. Thank you.
There's not simply a binary; VLC package includes really lots of files. Follow this guide:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 99#p629999

Don't expect the same performance as with omxplayer. SD video works fine and some 720p files.

happyusers

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you gkreidl,
I tried the method you describe in post 1825. Everything went OK, finally I reinstalled VLC (using option --reinstall right?). When I tried to run it, I got the following message :
vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libvlc.so.5: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
As far as I don't understand what I did, I cannot detect what went wrong. I have supposed that you substitute the binary file of yours (decompressed in vlcomx) to the one the install provides.
One more question, when you say :
"After installation go to the first post of this thread and follow the guideline about setting up VLC to get the accelerated output."
you mean doing that :
After starting VLC for the first time, change the following options:
Settings, simple, Audio: make sure, ALSA and bcm2835 are selected
Settings, simple, Video, output: select "OpenMAX IL video output"
Settings, all, Audio: select "deactivate" for audio resampler (important for speed!)
is that right? I didn't do that but I suppose I could do that solely from the inside?
Thank you for your competence and time you give. Regards.

gkreidl

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:20 pm

happyusers wrote:Thank you gkreidl,
I tried the method you describe in post 1825. Everything went OK, finally I reinstalled VLC (using option --reinstall right?). When I tried to run it, I got the following message :
vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libvlc.so.5: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
As far as I don't understand what I did, I cannot detect what went wrong. I have supposed that you substitute the binary file of yours (decompressed in vlcomx) to the one the install provides.
One more question, when you say :
"After installation go to the first post of this thread and follow the guideline about setting up VLC to get the accelerated output."
you mean doing that :
After starting VLC for the first time, change the following options:
Settings, simple, Audio: make sure, ALSA and bcm2835 are selected
Settings, simple, Video, output: select "OpenMAX IL video output"
Settings, all, Audio: select "deactivate" for audio resampler (important for speed!)
is that right? I didn't do that but I suppose I could do that solely from the inside?
Thank you for your competence and time you give. Regards.
No, don't run remove and don't reinstall VLC. You have overwritten the new version with the old one again.
Just run
sudo ./vlcoverwrite.sh
again. Then start it from the desktop and edit the settings as described in the OP.

happyusers

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Ok thank you it works.
I have no sound but it should be a matter of options (I get the sound through HDMI).
The trouble is that if I wanted VLC and not omxplayer it was because the latter doesn't play in a window but on overlay and there is no control except hot keys ; it seems that it is the same with VLC. No control buttons and no progress bar. Too bad. Thank you for your work and let us wait for next version.
I read your post again and I understand what make me confused ; after getting new binaries, you say :
Afterwards reinstall VLC from the repository again (forced mode!).
I think it would be clearer if you would suppress that sentence don't you agree?
Thank you anyway, the sound problem is gone (defaut output ok).

gkreidl

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:04 pm

happyusers wrote:Ok thank you it works.
I have no sound but it should be a matter of options (I get the sound through HDMI).
The trouble is that if I wanted VLC and not omxplayer it was because the latter doesn't play in a window but on overlay and there is no control except hot keys ; it seems that it is the same with VLC. No control buttons and no progress bar. Too bad. Thank you for your work and let us wait for next version.
I read your post again and I understand what make me confused ; after getting new binaries, you say :
Afterwards reinstall VLC from the repository again (forced mode!).
I think it would be clearer if you would suppress that sentence don't you agree?
Thank you anyway, the sound problem is gone (defaut output ok).
I wrote
"to get rid of it ..."
but not everyone has understood that.

BTW, have a look at omxplayerGUI. It runs omxplayer inside a window (also full screen, if you want to) with usual control elements. omxplayer runs still in overlay mode, of course, but follows the window when you move or resize it.
omxplayerGUI is part of kweb (Minimal Kiosk Browser) package.

Micha1982

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Its so annoying to get a good and easy video-playback on Raspbian :(
As Ive installed a fresh image, I lost my hw-accelerated vlc-files - and as Ive nothing better to do (and need a good player), I tried again this tut again...but - as always - have problems:
gkreidl wrote:To get rid of it, run

sudo ./remove.sh
This will only remove the additional files. Afterwards reinstall VLC from the repository again (forced mode!).

After installation go to the first post of this thread and follow the guideline about setting up VLC to get the accelerated output.
If I enter, following errors occurs:
[email protected] ~/vlcomx $ sudo ./remove.sh
rm: Entfernen von »/usr/share/bug/vlc-nox/control« nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
rm: Entfernen von »/usr/share/bug/vlc-nox/presubj« nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
rm: Entfernen von »/usr/share/bug/vlc-plugin-notify/control« nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
rm: Entfernen von »/usr/share/bug/vlc-plugin-notify/presubj« nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
rm: Entfernen von »/usr/share/doc/vlc-plugin-notify/bugreport-howto.txt« nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Isn't there any other way, than every fresh install loose half a day of my life for a good player???
I am sure hundreds/thousands of users would be very happy, to get a working hardware accelerated vlc-player easily as standard in repository or preinstalled!!!

Btw, tboplayer is more a makeshift than a solution and the Omxplayergui seems to cost money, furthermore I dont like that uncomfortable shop/ its usage, beside that I lost my email and dont want to remember my login every few months...so please, can anyone please please please do something to get an easier way to get a hw-accelerated Vlc-player instead of compiling it every time from beginning?

Furthermore I still do not know if compiling/building still works, as there were for sure lots of fileupdates in the meanwhile, a big problem the last time I tried this.

gkreidl

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:55 am

You'll have to wait for Jessie. it should contain a rather new version of VLC including (hopefully) the HW acceleration modules (OMX and MMAL). And if not, compiling a new version should be easy again. Hopefully Jessie will become the next stable release in about 2-4 months.

My omxplayerGUI (there seems to be something of the same name in the shop) doesn't cost anything. It is installed as part of kweb (Minimal Kiosk Browser) package.

Return to “Raspbian”