labmonkey

Network problems

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:01 am

Hello,

I'm kind of new to the raspberry pi, so forgive me if this post is unclear.
Firstly the background: A while ago I had my raspberry pi up and running no problem with both raspbian and raspbmc, however, after not using it for a long time for some reason the SD card needed re-formatting. So, I re-installed raspbian and everything is ok except I have a network problem.
Currently I can access the internet (wirelessly) from the raspberry pi using the Midori browser.
So far, so good.
However, I would like to access the pi remotely, e.g. using Putty.
When I try this I get
Network Error: Connection Timed Out
Does anybody know why I would get this error? Do I need to change some settings/install something new on the raspberry pi

I tried to ping the raspberry pi directly from my laptop, but I get this reply
Reply from xxx.xxx.xx.x: Destination host unreachable
(the IP address here is, I think, my laptop's.)

I assumed that because I can access the internet from the raspberry pi, I must be able to ping it.

Many months ago, before I reinstalled raspbian, I had no problem using Putty, so I can't see how it's a hardware issue.

I've tried everything I can think of, so if anybody could at least point me in the right direction, I would be really appreciative.

itimpi

Re: Network problems

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:59 pm

You might need to check your router settings. Some routers default to blocking connections between devices on the LAN particularly when they are both wifi connected.

labmonkey

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 am

Thanks.
Any idea what type of router settings it could be?
(To make things more complicated, the router is in Japanese, so my wife will have to translate for me.)
I find it kind of odd that it could be the router. The raspberry pi was working fine a few months ago and we definitely haven't changed any router settings since then.
Anyway, I will soon check it out and post the result here.

labmonkey

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:14 pm

A rather embarrassing update. To cut a long story short, turning my router on and off again seems to have resolved my network problems. I haven't checked my raspberry pi yet (a job for the weekend), but I think it should now be ok.

There's a moral hidden here I think: no matter how many settings you check, no matter how much you search the internet for solutions, no matter how many forums you post in to desperately ask for help - nothing beats "turning it off and on again".

I cannot believe how much time I wasted when there was an obvious solution :roll:

Return to “Raspbian”