RossDv8

Re: use i386 Printer driver

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:47 am

I have the same problem as I have two Brother MFC-J6510DW inkjets and an MFC-J6520DW and I want to be able to print to them. But they are also a long way from where I use the Pi. All the open source drivers for Brother seem to be for Laser Printers.

I could simply print across the LAN or WLAN, but I want to avoid that. Not for any specific reason other than that I'm curious.

So in case I can't find a USB printer driver solution, there is one fairly easy option if it works.
I can send the file from my Pi to one of my Android phones or tablets. In fact I can simply dedicate an old Android phone that is no longer being used, to be a print server.

I have already used 'Brother iPrint&Scan', which is available on Google Play Store to print from my Android phones over WiFi without having to resort to LAN. All my Brother inkjets have Wireless. None are actually connected to the network, so the Raspberry Pi would have to be communicating directly with the Android device, which then communicates directly with the printer.

I haven't actually tried this yet, but with built in wireless and bluetooth in the new Pi 3 I should be able to simply do a bluetooth file transfer to the Android device and a print from there over Wireless to the Brother printer.

If somebody else beats me to testing it, please let me know if it worked well. Otherwise, once I get around to enabling Bluetooth on the Pi 3 I will try it myself and post.

Hopefully, with so many of us having old Android phones leftover after an upgrade, this might provide a very simply solution. And of course, there are similar Android apps for other brands of printer with built in Wireless.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rint&hl=en

Brother iPrint&Scan is a free app that lets you print from and scan to your Android device. Use your local wireless network to connect your Android device to your Brother printer or all-in-one. Some new advanced functions have been added (edit, fax send, fax preview, copy preview, machine status). For a list of supported models, please visit your local Brother website.

Cheers,

RossD
Pi 4B 4GB - Samsing128GB EVO plus microSD

RossDv8

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:01 am

An update for anyone interested. This works with the Raspberry Pi 3B with built in Bluetooth and I suppose it would work with an earlier Pi that has a Bluetooth dongle.

First, I set up one of my Brother MFC-J6510DW printers using the WPS option and the button on my router. Took a few seconds to automatically become available in the WLAN.

Next I activated bluetooth on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.
Then I opened the Bluetooth GUI on the Pi 3 and searched. It found the Tablet, so I sent a file via bluetooth. An Accept? option poppeed up on the Tablet, and tapping Yes, the file transferred.

So far, so good. I opened the Brother iPrint and Scan app, and it found the printer and connected, then I just had to select the file I transferred from the Raspberry Pi and it showed it in Print Preview, and allowed me to change some settings if I wished.

I chose Print, and out it came.

Certainly not an elegant solution, and it does require wireless access to the network, but it works and solves one problem for me. It might make life easier for anyone else with an Android or Apple device and a Brother Inkjet.

E D I T !

It seems from the MFC-J6510DW Manual that it should be possible to set up a wireless ad-hoc network directly between an Android device and at least some of the Brother inkjet models.
That might make the method less messy and remove the necessity to operate though a WLAN infrastructure network.

E D I T !! - Again :-) I forgot to mention this...

My experiences with iPrint & Scan over a year or more show that will not recognise LibreOffice file formats. It did recognise MS .doc files. And it has no problem with images and PDF.

Cheers,

RossD
Pi 4B 4GB - Samsing128GB EVO plus microSD

Mofef

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:07 pm

I didn't read everything, but I think this might be useful for you guys. https://www.lhinderberger.de/pi/2016/01 ... ivers.html
However I didn't manage to get my printer to work this way yet...

agalvan

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:05 pm

Mofef wrote:I didn't read everything, but I think this might be useful for you guys. https://www.lhinderberger.de/pi/2016/01 ... ivers.html
However I didn't manage to get my printer to work this way yet...
I know this is an older post, but as a new Pi user, thank you so much for finding that. I have 2 Brother printers (MFC-7460DN and MFC-J825DW) and was able to install the correct drivers after following those steps.

BTW those with Brother printers trying to install in Linux, using this script the easiest way by far. It automates the installation of the printer and scanner drivers. I use this for all my Linux i386 installations: http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agreemen ... 00&flang=4

aoakley

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:28 am

My solution to this problem (no ARM Linux driver for a Brother inkjet) was:

1. Have another Intel/AMD/x86/x64 Linux PC running 24/7. You can buy a second hand Intel PC for anything from 30-50 quid upwards. If you're just running Ubuntu Server (no desktop) then you can get by with something really old - as slow as 1GHz and as little as 1GB RAM and 20GB hard drive, possibly even less. Look out for second-hand "small form factor" (SFF) PCs on eBay.

2. Configure your Linux PC to have a static IP address, or make sure Avahi/Zeroconf is installed.

2. Install CUPS on the Linux PC and install the printer drivers.

3. Share the printer from CUPS on the Linux PC.

4. DO NOT INSTALL CUPS SERVER ON YOUR RASPBERRY PI. You don't need it. Raspbian already has the CUPS client installed, that is all you need.

5. You just need to add one line to /etc/cups/client.conf on your Raspberry Pi. Do this from a terminal as follows:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir -p /etc/cups
sudo su -c "echo ServerName IPADDR >/etc/cups/client.conf"
...where IPADDR is the static IP address of your Linux PC with CUPS server. Alternatively if your Linux PC has Avahi/Zeroconf installed, you can use LINUXPCHOSTNAME.local instead of IPADDR (where LINUXPCHOSTNAME is the hostname of your Linux PC).

6. THAT'S IT. Really, that's all that's required. Reboot your Raspberry Pi and printing will now work. For example you can now use the File-Print option from LibreOffice Writer wordprocessor, and you can print from the Chromium web browser. Whatever is set as the default shared printer on your Linux PC is now the printer for your Raspberry Pi.

The downsides to my solution are:

* You need a separate Intel/AMD PC. It can be old and cheap, but you need one.
* I assume you have the technical capability to install Linux Server and CUPS Server on an Intel/AMD PC.
* You need that PC running 24/7, or at least you need it whenever you need to print from your Pi.
* You need a network (you don't need a network printer - you can attach the printer directly to your Linux PC, but you need a network between the Linux PC and your Raspberry Pi)
* You can't easily switch between different printers on your Pi.
* I have no solution for the scanner component of my all-in-one inkjet. My solution addresses printing only, not scanning. I have no need for scanning on my Pi, but if I did, I suspect the answer would be TWAIN. My workaround is to scan to the Linux PC, memory card or email.

I have Ubuntu 16.04 Server running on a fanless ITX machine acting as a NAS box and CUPS server. Here's a lovely cheap ITX NAS chasis:

https://www.servercase.co.uk/shop/serve ... e-sc-n400/
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

Return to “Raspbian”