pi3g
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

PiVid: start YouTube videos from the browser

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Hello all,

we have released a package, called pivid, which allows you to start YouTube (and some HTML5) videos from Midori or Chromium. The package is in our repository server, easy to install. It is currently in a beta stadium, some things still need fixing.

Please have a look at my blog post about this:
http://blog.pi3g.com/2013/08/bringing-y ... -browsers/

Roughly, it functions like this:
* A node.js webserver is set up on port 3000
* A userscript is installed in Chromium or Midori (or both)
* The userscript forwards the URL of the YouTube site to the node.js webserver by opening it in an iFrame
* node.js instructs omxplayer to open the videostream (the location of which is calculated using youtube-dl)

-> a window opens, playing back the video. You can control it using omxplayer's keyboard controls (space = play/pause, volume, exit) - unfortunately no seeking.

Please note, that the pivid server has to be started manually after each reboot - we are investigating, why update-rc.d pivid defaults does not work (i.e. the video does not play).

The script also does VeeHD, if some of you know that video platform.

Looking forward to your feedback!

M.
picockpit.com - tools to make your life with the Pi a little bit easier

BillStephenson

Re: PiVid: start YouTube videos from the browser

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Hey guys, I don't know how this got buried and missed but I just checked it out and you're doing some great work here!!

Youtube videos launch fast, run smooth, and look beautiful. Thanks, and keep up the great work.

For those of you who haven't played with this do check it out. It certainly demonstrates the potential we're missing out on and hopefully what's in store.

gkreidl

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:51 pm

You can do the same with Minimal Kiosk Browser. It supports all websites that are supported by youtube-dl + html5 video + streaming links + m3u file lists (audo and video). All videos are played full screen with omxplayer.

No need to install a server or anything else. To play embedded video just click on the "play" icon in the toolbar.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

joaodriessen

Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:43 am

I installed per the instructions. starting the pivid service and installing the midori and chromium scripts. but in both browsers the video player does not start. I have omxplayer installed. and the script works, showing your logo and the play button. however pressing play shows no video. (the play button does turn to a pause button after a few seconds)

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”