raspbian-ua-netinst - Raspbian unattended netinstaller

200 posts   Page 1 of 8   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8
by hifi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 pm
Hello,

This is yet another installer for Raspbian. The key feature of this one is that it's completely automatic and boots into minimal Raspbian with sshd enabled by default.

Current installer image is 16MB compressed with XZ, uncompressed 32MB and is a quick xzcat away from your SD card. The install process takes under 15 minutes with my internet connection (ADSL2) from first cold boot to login screen with sshd running.

Resulting system with current default preset settings is around 140MB. It is possible to install to a 512MB card.

Latest .zip for Windows users from http://hifi.iki.fi/raspbian-ua-netinst/ ... latest.zip
Latest SD card image for Linux users from http://hifi.iki.fi/raspbian-ua-netinst/ ... est.img.xz

Documentation and source available at GitHub: https://github.com/hifi/raspbian-ua-netinst

The default root user password is raspbian.

aaronmelton has a similiar project with the stock Raspbian installer at viewtopic.php?f=66&t=50270 . The difference between our projects is he has a very minimal script set over the real Raspbian installer while mine is a custom script written from scratch designed to work with unmodified kernel_emergency.img and does the most minimal install possible with networking and sshd enabled.

Edit: Documentation now exists in the git repository. Windows .zip added.
Last edited by hifi on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
by hifi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:55 pm
Updated the first post with latest information. I think this will be very useful for power users and provide the fastest real install the Pi will ever see.

Testing and feedback would be very welcome!
by hifi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:28 am
There is now a .zip file for Windows users. Just format your SD card as FAT32 and extract the .zip and it's ready for installation!
by PipeDale » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:48 pm
Hello,

Been playing with this today, Whilst also talking to hifi about this install. First attempt, it took 11minutes bang on to let me ssh into my Pi. I also took time to customize the re-install (static IP & extra packages)

I love the fact you can pretty much remote reinstall over ssh!! Keep up the work dude, and get IPv6 added then i'll be happy :)

I'd advise people give this ago..... I never use a TV/Mouse/Keyboard and this works amazing
by hifi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 am
For those needing USB root support, the installer now supports installing the system on external USB drive which drops the SD card size requirement to around 64MB.

Enjoy!
by SirLagz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:50 am
Brilliant !
I'll be using this tonight so I'll be sure to give you some feedback :D
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044
by hifi » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42 am
The installer is now fully "pure" Raspbian. No external repositories are used to build the installer image or the finished system. The installation guide was also updated to reflect these changes. You can still use the foundation kernel and firmware packages after installation if you so want as the repositories are still included.

New recommended kernel is the Raspbian 3.6 trunk one. With the pure update also the installer size was halved for various reasons.

Additionally the ACT LED now works during install so you monitor activity during install. Installed system also has the ACT LED working by default.
by mrSpinx » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:47 am
Set new root password: passwd
Configure your default locale: dpkg-reconfigure locales
Configure your timezone: dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
Install latest kernel and firmware package: apt-get update && apt-get install linux-image-rpi-rpfv raspberrypi-bootloader-nokernel
Replace old kernel.img with latest kernel: cp /vmlinuz /boot/kernel.img Reboot to new kernel and firmware: reboot

Sorry for the question, but i want to know why is necessary to do this two passages.
It can be possible install raspi-config and rpi-update through archive.raspberrypi.org/ repository and use it to config raspberry and update kernel/firmware/bootloader?

The command cp /vmlinuz /boot/kernel.img is necessary every kernel update, or if i use rpi-update is not necessary?
by hifi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:06 pm
mrSpinx wrote:Sorry for the question, but i want to know why is necessary to do this two passages.
It can be possible install raspi-config and rpi-update through archive.raspberrypi.org/ repository and use it to config raspberry and update kernel/firmware/bootloader?

There are many ways to install the firmware and kernel. I preferred the way of using only Raspbian packages as they are maintained by Raspbian people rather than the foundation.

You can very well use the foundation packages to install and update your firmware. raspi-config itself is rather useless though as its main advantage is resizing the root filesystem which is not necessary with raspbian-ua-netinst.

rpi-update is a bleeding edge updater that is quite heavy and risky to use as it's no way officially supported and I wouldn't recommend it over the foundation provided packages unless you need the very latest firmware that has not been released as packages yet for whatever reason.

mrSpinx wrote:The command cp /vmlinuz /boot/kernel.img is necessary every kernel update, or if i use rpi-update is not necessary?

If you use rpi-update or the foundation kernel packages then you don't need to do that. That is specific to the Raspbian kernel package.
by mrSpinx » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:09 pm
Perfect, now it's all clear

If i want the raspbian kernel and the raspberry firmware i can follow this passage

Install latest kernel and firmware package:
Code: Select all
apt-get update && apt-get install linux-image-rpi-rpfv raspberrypi-bootloader-nokernel

Replace old kernel.img with latest kernel:
cp /vmlinuz /boot/kernel.img

If i want the raspberry foundation firmware and kernel i must

add raspberrypi mirror:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspmirror.list

and write in it
deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main

And now to install raspberrypi foundation firmware and kernel
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-bootloader

The last question is why you prefer raspbian mantained kernel?
What are the differences from the raspbian kernel and the raspberrypi foundation kernel?
by hifi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:27 pm
The foundation repository is already in /etc/apt/sources.list.

I prefer it because it's supported by Raspbian devs and is more Debian than the foundation one and in the long run should receive the same security patches than the Debian equivalent kernel. You are very free to use the foundation kernel though.
by st4t1c » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:32 pm
 apt-get install raspberrypi-bootloader-nokernel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package raspberrypi-bootloader-nokernel

do i need to enter a specific repo url in the sources file???
by st4t1c » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:44 am
bump

anyone?
by plugwash » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:22 pm
You need the "firmware" component in your sources.list entry for the main raspbian repo
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by st4t1c » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:02 am
plugwash wrote:You need the "firmware" component in your sources.list entry for the main raspbian repo

That did it, thanks a lot!!
by WilliamGorden » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:22 pm
Hi,
I'm new here. I just followed the instructions and have a wonderful slim Raspberry Pi running. Thanks for the install.

I am having a slight problem. I have internet over a cable running between 2 rooms and would like my shiny new edimax wifi dongle to work so that I don't have this cable under foot.

The dongle is recognized at boot, however there is no mention of a driver in the usbcore being loaded.

Do you know what I could be missing?

Thanks.
by zorgoz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:59 pm
Could it also work with an rPI model A and an USB wifi adapter?
by TheRPi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:12 am
It seems the kernel used during install actually breaks on some hardware. Whilst running apt-get it hangs so therefore can't upgrade kernel :(

This has been spotted by many people, and requires users to wget the latest kernel.img into /boot :roll:

I edited the installer.cpio file and made it apt-get latest files on install. Hopefully creator releases a fix for this 8-)
iRaspberryPi
http://www.iRaspberryPi.pw
by Jeffman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:06 pm
Works great ! Thanks !
It may be useful to enable login through the serial console (as it is enabled by default) in plain stock Raspbian image.
Simply a matter of adding this specific line in /etc/inittab :
T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100

Jeff
by Jeffman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:11 pm
Is it possible to see the output from the installer through the serial console ? Right now, it's only available when using an HDMI cable connected : not always available.
Perhaps it can be customized in one way or another using some options to the installer ?
by jamaique » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:39 am
Hi,

Is it possible to headless start the installer with automatically activated wi-fi, like BerryBoot ? (command line : option /wlan0 and IP static address definition)

Thank you.
by TheRPi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:59 pm
You can set a static IP (DHCP is default)

Not sure about wireless though? You could possibly edit installer.cpio to enable wireless however you'd need to input wireless password etc? Not sure this would work too well :cry:
iRaspberryPi
http://www.iRaspberryPi.pw
by Jeffman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:14 pm
Jeffman wrote:Is it possible to see the output from the installer through the serial console ? Right now, it's only available when using an HDMI cable connected : not always available.
Perhaps it can be customized in one way or another using some options to the installer ?

Hey. I managed to do it :

1) Write the provided image onto your SD card
2) Mount the SD card partition (let's say in /media/rasp)
3) Then update cmdline.txt with the following command :
echo "consoleblank=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200" > /media/rasp/cmdline.txt

4) Umount & then boot : you can see the output from the installer through the serial console.

Jeff.
by santos0250 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:11 pm
Hi,

When i install this @ first boot the used size is 160mb but when i do the steps you say (also updates), its in the end 1.5gb :s
When i install it with the old raspbian installer its in the end just 805mb... with the same updates.

Is there something i can do that's the same as the old installer?

Also, if i install MySQL server on it the password dialog is not readable.
Will try to make a screenshot of it when i got the time :)
by dusan.kx » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 pm
Hi,

I just love the idea of the Raspbian Installer and it works great when I install it on my SD card. Unfortunately, when I try to use the "usbroot=1" option it fails with the message "Waiting for /dev/sda... ... FAILED".

When I enter the BusyBox environment and run "dmesg" I can see that my USB drive was recognized, but there is no "/dev/sda" entry.

When I install the system on the SD card and then upgrade it according to your instructions - https://github.com/hifi/raspbian-ua-netinst#first-boot the USB Key is listed as "/dev/sda" and works fine.

Am I missing something for the USB installation? Is it related to the new kernel/firmware?

Dusan