ejurgensen

Re: Improved forked-daapd (iTunes server)

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:40 am

How did you install? The link you posted in the previous post doesn't actually point to installation instructions.

u_newman

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Actually I followed the installation instructions on page 1 of this thread.

u_newman

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:16 pm

u_newman wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:05 pm
Actually I followed the installation instructions on page 1 of this thread.
Hm, I don't know how to tell - but with deinstallation and re-installation I got a running forked-daapd instance.

By using "which forked-daapd" I could see that only the instance

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/forked-daapd
was installed.
I removed that file ("sudo rm...") and deinstalled forked-daapd by using

sudo apt-get --purge remove forked-daapd

After that, I followed steps 1 and 3 from the guide below (taken from the first entry of this thread on page 1):

How to install
  1. Add repository key
    wget -q -O - http://www.gyfgafguf.dk/raspbian/forked-daapd.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
  2. Add either of these lines to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    (for buster) deb http://www.gyfgafguf.dk/raspbian/forked-daapd/ buster contrib
  3. Run sudo apt update and then sudo apt install forked-daapd
And - voila - forked could be started successfully (following the guide) even without changing the config file.

But honestly I could not reproduce this: I have a second installation (with FHEM, Mosquitto, Samba installed) where I wanted to run forked-daapd, too. On that SD-card system I am still not achieving the same result and forked-daapd can not startup...

I'll try my very best, thanks so far... Eventually I'll come back with a new request for support ;)

ejurgensen

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Is it possible that you have an error in the config file? I think that might show the symptoms you describe. To find out, you can run "sudo /usr/sbin/forked-daapd -f"

Then you should get the reason forked-daapd can't start. It seems config file errors don't get written to the log file, which isn't particularly user friendly. Maybe it is because in some cases it wouldn't possible (i.e. if the uid is invalid, or the log file location).

marioscube

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:58 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B with updated raspbian (10) Buster on it and forked-daapd version 27.0.

Recently I bought an AnyCast/MiraCast device, The specs said “airplay” so I thought it could/would work with forked-daapd.

Well, it does work with:
1. iOS devices: I can mirror the screen an play videos (with sound) on a monitor with the AnyCast device attached.
2. iTunes: I can play music on the device via iTunes (macOS Mojave) that is actually served from forked-daapd.

In forked-daapd (web and remote (iOS) the device is found, but I am not able to play my music through it.
I have checked the logs but there is no consistent error message (as far as I can see with log-level on debug).

Any thoughts?
Or pointers on what to look for in the log file?

It would be nice to have an affordable airport replacement. ;-)

ejurgensen

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Maybe it's the same device as in this github issue? If so, you can see my attempt to make it work didn't succeed.

If you can set the log to debug you are welcome to add the failure part of the log to the issue. Maybe it has some clues?

Btw, those cheap commercial airplay devices don't always support sync, and depending on manufacturer you could also argue that they are security hazards on your local network. I can't say whether that applies to the device you have, but if so, it might be a better (and still cheap) option to use a RPi (Zero?) with shairport-sync.

marioscube

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:40 pm

I think that what I have is “more-or-less” the same device, only newer (firmware is actively developed as I could download a new firmware recently).

A relevant part of the log (at DEBUG) is shown below. I compared it to a log file from an Apple TV 3 (that worked!).

[2019-12-19 17:47:59] [DEBUG]   player: Subscription request for quality 44100/16/2 (now 1 subscribers)
[2019-12-19 17:47:59] [DEBUG]     raop: device_start: Sending OPTIONS to 'AnyCastXXXXXXXX’
[2019-12-19 17:47:59] [ INFO]   player: Using selected AirPlay device 'AnyCastXXXXXXXX’
[2019-12-19 17:47:59] [DEBUG]     raop: startup_options: Sending ANNOUNCE to 'AnyCastXXXXXXXX’
[2019-12-19 17:47:59] [DEBUG]     raop: Local address: 192.168.1.xxx (LL: no) port 54796
[2019-12-19 17:47:59] [ INFO]     raop: Setting up AirPlay session 3665372464 (192.168.1.xxx -> 192.168.1.yyy)
[2019-12-19 17:47:59] [DEBUG]      web: notify callback reason: 11
[2019-12-19 17:48:19] [  LOG]     raop: ANNOUNCE request failed in session startup: 0 (null)
[2019-12-19 17:48:19] [DEBUG]   player: Callback request received, id is 0
[2019-12-19 17:48:19] [DEBUG]   player: Unsubscription request for quality 44100/16/2 (now 0 subscribers)
[2019-12-19 17:48:19] [DEBUG]   player: Making deferred callback to device_restart_cb, id was 0
[2019-12-19 17:48:19] [DEBUG]   player: Callback from AirPlay to device_restart_cb (status -1)
avahi-browse -r -k _raop._tcp gave:+ enp3s0 IPv4 [email protected] _raop._tcp local

= enp3s0 IPv4 [email protected]                  _raop._tcp           local
   hostname = [AnyCastXXXXXXXX.local]
   address = [192.168.1.xxx]
   port = [7000]
   txt = ["pk=cea512f6c13091ed90f72d4a108b1cae927b781d808b46b52e506378335088cf" "sf=0x4" "vv=2" "am=AppleTV3,2" "rmodel=EZAir1,1" "vs=220.68" "vn=65537" "tp=UDP" "md=0,1,2" "ft=0x0A7FEFF7,0x8" "et=0,3,5" "da=true" "cn=0,1,3"]
RE your BTW:
I think my device has an "official" firmware from a respectable company. So far I'm not to worried for a paranoid person ;-) .

My main goal is to get it working. That's 99% of the fun of these devices.
When I want something in a "production" environment I use my Apple TV and/o my ancient Airport Express. Then I do not even trust a "chromecast" or anything form Amazon.

ejurgensen

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:57 pm

This line means that the device did not reply to the announce request made by forked-daapd:

[2019-12-19 17:48:19] [ LOG] raop: ANNOUNCE request failed in session startup: 0 (null)

If you don't mind tinkering with this, then you can try some modifications to raop.c in the source code of forked-daapd. You can either try skipping the announce request (change line 3993 to raop_send_req_setup(rs, raop_cb_startup_setup, "startup_options")) or try with wireshark to catch the announce request sent by iTunes and then modify forked-daapd's (see raop_send_req_announce) to find what it is that the device doesn't accept.

marioscube

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Regrettably changing the line 3993 in raop.c (and recompiling etc.) did not give me sound on the cast device. :-(

Some more rigorous testing revealed that casting audio only dos not work with this device (or just for a very short time). Video (with or without sound) works just fine.

Strangely enough audio works if I enable screen mirroring (from iOS device) and then only stream an audio file, but not if I turn off mirroring and try to play that same audio file with an airplay capable app.

iTunes also is not able to stream to the device, however if I select the device in (macOS) sound preferences it just works (even with iTunes) :shock:

Maybe if I have a lot of time to waste I will try Wireshark.

For now thank you for your help and thank you for forked-daapd!

joris-77

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:22 am

Can't believe that I missed out on forked-daapd for so long. Probably because I don't use any Apple products and iTunes server didn't sound as something I needed... Glad I found it. Have two chromecasts audios, they work nice from my phone, but streaming from my ubuntu desktop was never really good. With forked-daapd streaming music now starts faster then on my phone.. Amazing! Can start music from my desktop and turn it off from my phone... Perfect!

Is there a way to install these raspberry pi packages on a headless ubuntu server with apt-get (ppa) or another package manager. (snap/flatpack whatever) There is a forked-daapd package on ubuntu, but that doesn't include the webinterface. And the webinterface is actually a real nice thing to have..

ejurgensen

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks for the kind words! I'm not aware of package-based way of installing a newer forked-daapd on Ubuntu, unfortunately. I did consider setting up a ppa, and I think @chme considered making a snap, but I think neither of us got around to it.

ejurgensen

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:02 pm

I've uploaded release 27.0.101 of forked-daapd to the repository. It mainly has bug fixes, e.g.:
- an issue with shairport-sync causing too many open files
- log limitation to avoid repeated messages creating huge logs
- error if a genre had a single quote in its name
- incorrect update of time_added

On the feature side there are support for some more dacp commands plus support for multiple alsa devices.

ejurgensen

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:26 pm

I have made another release (27.1.102). It is mostly to bring the version up to 27.1, so compared to the last release it just has some improvements to the web ui.

mfin

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:45 am

I'm running into an issue with what appears to be the db:

● forked-daapd.service - DAAP/DACP (iTunes) and MPD server, supporting AirPlay and Spotify
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/forked-daapd.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-02-25 22:34:28 CST; 1min 58s ago
     Docs: man:forked-daapd(8)
  Process: 8638 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/forked-daapd -f (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 8638 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
[email protected]:~ $ systemctl status forked-daapd.service^C
[email protected]:~ $ sudo /usr/sbin/forked-daapd -f
[  LOG]     main: Forked Media Server Version 27.1 taking off
[  LOG]     main: Built with:
[  LOG]     main: - ffmpeg
[  LOG]     main: - iTunes XML
[  LOG]     main: - Spotify
[  LOG]     main: - LastFM
[  LOG]     main: - Chromecast
[  LOG]     main: - MPD
[  LOG]     main: - Device verification
[  LOG]     main: - Websockets
[  LOG]     main: - ALSA
[  LOG]     main: - Pulseaudio
[  LOG]     main: - Webinterface
[  LOG]     main: mDNS init
[  LOG]     mdns: Avahi state change: Client running
[  LOG]       db: Configured to use database file '/var/cache/forked-daapd/songs3.db'
[  LOG]       db: Now vacuuming database, this may take some time...
[  LOG]       db: Could not VACUUM database: attempt to write a readonly database
[FATAL]       db: Database version check errored out, incompatible database
[FATAL]     main: Database init failed
[  LOG]     main: mDNS deinit
[  LOG]     main: Exiting.
[email protected]:~ $ 
It seems there was a similar post years ago viewtopic.php?f=66&t=49928&p=487422&hil ... se#p487422 I tried the steps that were suggested to try and fix this but they didn't end up working for me. Thoughts on what might be failing for me?

ejurgensen

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:03 am

The issue is this: "Could not VACUUM database: attempt to write a readonly database"

So you have probably configured forked-daapd to run as a user that does not have write access to /var/cache/forked-daapd

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:12 am

ejurgensen wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:03 am
The issue is this: "Could not VACUUM database: attempt to write a readonly database"

So you have probably configured forked-daapd to run as a user that does not have write access to /var/cache/forked-daapd
Welcome to SQLite3 hell.

It's so easy to get your database broken (usually by having two concurrent updaters).
The hoop jumping to recover from that SQLite3 feature (aka bug) is:

sqlite3 mydata.db ".dump" | sqlite3 new.db && mv mydata.db broken.db && mv new.db mydata.db

I use execute("PRAGMA query_only;") at the start of database reader programs to reduce the risk of reaching into that SQLite3 flaming pit of fire.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

ejurgensen

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:08 pm

I have uploaded a new release, which is version 27.1.103.git51b7a88. List of changes:

- use artwork from Spotify for non-Spotify tracks and radio stations (requires Spotify premium)
- support for playlist folders
- support for alternative Musicbrainz Album Id tag (MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID)
- fix for control commands from Airplay speakers sometimes not working
- fix some minor memleaks

bingut

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Hello Espen,

thanks for the great work, I managed to hear music from raspberry with my Beolit 12 in only a few hours. There are two things which are imho improvable:
I used mpd 0.19 before. With forked-daapd one of my mpd clients (RasPiRadio app by 7soft) shows an error,

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: length=35; index=-1

the other one (malp) shows a completely different look in the mobile version. Is it possible to configure the data which is provided, is there a compatibility mode to older mpd versions?
I use forked-daapd primarily as a radio tuner. The stations are listed in the current playlist. In some cases (maybe when a station is temporarily not available) a station is removed from the playlist.
I used a fresh installed raspbian buster and FORKED-DAAPD - VERSION 27.1.

best regards
Uli

ejurgensen

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback. @chme is the master of mpd in forked-daapd, so I will leave it to him to look into your observations.

With regard to playlists, they should not be removed, even if they are not available. So I would need more details to know what is going on. Perhaps you can add an issue here on github: https://github.com/ejurgensen/forked-daapd/issues

TheEnglishman

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:05 pm

I hope you can help. I'm stuck trying to get forked-daapd talking to an on board HiFiBerry DAC+, all hosted on a Raspberry Pi4B
I downloaded forked, as per the instructions here.
Forked all works, scanning my music librarian plays it out nicely, over rate web inter face to my AppleTV4. All good so far.

However, while play works:
$ aplay /boot/piano2.wav
Playing WAVE '/boot/piano2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
and mplayer works, with sound coming out of my hi-fi:
$ mplayer /boot/piano2.wav
MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-8 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing /boot/piano2.wav.
libavformat version 58.20.100 (external)
Audio only file format detected.
Load subtitles in /boot/
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1536.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 192000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
==========================================================================
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: 6.0 (05.9) of 6.0 (06.0) 0.1%

Exiting... (End of file)
I can't get forked-daapd to play through the Hifiberry sound card. I don't know what I'm doing wrong:
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 [HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
$ aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
jack
JACK Audio Connection Kit
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus, HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus
USB Stream Output
I've also installed:
$ apt-cache policy alsa-utils
alsa-utils:
Installed: 1.1.8-2
Candidate: 1.1.8-2
Version table:
*** 1.1.8-2 500
500 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
The Audio section in the config file is:
audio {
# Name - used in the speaker list in Remote
nickname = "Computer"
# Type of the output (alsa, pulseaudio, dummy or disabled)
type = "alsa"
# For pulseaudio output, an optional server hostname or IP can be
# specified (e.g. "localhost"). If not set, connection is made via local
# socket.
# server = ""
# Audio PCM device name for local audio output - ALSA only
card = "hw:0"
# Mixer channel to use for volume control - ALSA only
# If not set, PCM will be used if available, otherwise Master.
mixer = "Analogue"
# Mixer device to use for volume control - ALSA only
# If not set, the value for "card" will be used.
mixer_device = "hw:0"
}
Clearly that's wrong but I've no idea where to go next
Any help appreciated...

ejurgensen

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 am

I don't personally have much experience with RPi sound devices, but perhaps of some of this information can help you:
https://github.com/ejurgensen/forked-da ... ME_ALSA.md

TheEnglishman

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:36 pm

ejurgensen wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 am
I don't personally have much experience with RPi sound devices, but perhaps of some of this information can help you:
https://github.com/ejurgensen/forked-da ... ME_ALSA.md
Yea - that's what I looked at but didn't have any success. As far as I can see I've got the right configurations. But it doesn't work..

Anyone?

whatdoido

Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:55 am

@theenglishman - When I did this originally I had some trouble getting this right but It looks like it's related to the mixer name.

In the GitHub repo doc I mention that you need to find the "simple mixer control" with a "pvolume" (physical volume) capability. Given your card has index 0 do this and look for pvolume

amixer -c 0

The output will have blocks like this:

Simple mixer control 'DSP Program',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'FIR interpolation with de-emphasis' 'Low latency IIR with de-emphasis' 'High attenuation with de-emphasis' 'Fixed process flow' 'Ringing-less low latency FIR'
Item0: 'Ringing-less low latency FIR'
Simple mixer control 'Analogue',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 1
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 1 [100%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 1 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analogue Playback Boost',0
Capabilities: volume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: 0 - 1
Front Left: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]

This is my iqaufio dac - the mixer name is "Analogue" but this may not be the case for your hifiberry. What's the output of amixer?

ollischr

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:47 pm

I'm having a similar issue as @TheEnglishman; forked-daapd local audio is not working while remote streaming is (and local playback outside of forked-daapd works as well). I have an RPi3+ with a NADD3045 DAC connected through USB.

My amateurish investigations suggest that the problem lies with ffmpeg but I can't say if that is really the root cause.
My DAC does not have a mixer control with a "pvolume" capability, only one with "volume". Is this a dealbreaker for forked-daapd?

Playing a flac file with ffmpeg|aplay works OK:

ffmpeg -i <path to flac file> -f wav -loglevel debug - | aplay
Output: https://pastebin.com/cFwkCkCS

Playing the same flac file through forked-daapd does not (flac file opened through the web UI):

sudo forked-daapd -f -d 5 -D laudio,ffmpeg
Output: https://pastebin.com/YXDD39FA. Things start going sideways on line 52.

My ALSA config file, aplay/amixer outputs and forked-daapd.conf:
https://pastebin.com/7Pv5n48L

Frurp

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:14 am

I installed on a Raspberry 3+ with Raspbian buster, all up to date. Playback strangely only works on very few tracks. Airplay works, which is very nice. I installed raop in pulseaudio before, but there it doesn't.

The tracks are all AIFF 44.1 and play well on Plex and Emby, which I tried before. But I'd like to stream directly from the Raspi to my Apple TV, not thru a remote computer. The errors in the log seem to be ffmpeg related, but I have no idea where to start looking to fix it:

[2020-04-07 04:02:55] [  LOG]    xcode: Cannot create audio format filter (sample_fmts=s16:sample_rates=44100:channel_layouts=0x0): Invalid argument
[2020-04-07 04:02:55] [  LOG]      web: Error starting playback.
[2020-04-07 04:02:55] [  LOG]      web: JSON api request failed with error code 500 (/api/player/play)

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”