ktb

Re: jessie added to main raspbian archive

Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:31 pm

gdt wrote:Some notes I made upgrading a Raspberry Pi2 from Raspbian Wheezy to Raspbian Jessie. The notes are particularly strong on solving post-upgrade issues which prevent successful boot (udev rules, ifplugd, cgroups, systemd-stub, etc). Enjoy.
There's some very good advice and information there which I learned the frustrating way. Thanks for sharing with everyone. It should be very helpful for others.

BTW, I think the systemd package that should be removed is named systemd-shim.

ibrahimansari

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Wait, Jessie was launched in 2013??? I visited the site 5 months ago and no sign of Jessie at all?
I is the master of Linux, Windows and the computer realms.
But always with a Pi(e). ;)

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:18 pm

ibrahimansari wrote:Wait, Jessie was launched in 2013??? I visited the site 5 months ago and no sign of Jessie at all?
People tend to conflate raspbian and the foundation's image of raspbian.

ibrahimansari

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:20 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
ibrahimansari wrote:Wait, Jessie was launched in 2013??? I visited the site 5 months ago and no sign of Jessie at all?
People tend to conflate raspbian and the foundation's image of raspbian.
I was talking about Debian Jessie. I guess Debian Jessie was in testing, but it wasn't launched. Wait. Meaning that they meant about jessie that when it was in testing, it came in Raspbian repos? Well, well.
I is the master of Linux, Windows and the computer realms.
But always with a Pi(e). ;)

bossboy

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:04 am

guys i've just got ahold of jessie and tried to find the pi store BUT I COULDN'T!!! WHERE IS IT :?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:29 am

bossboy wrote:guys i've just got ahold of jessie and tried to find the pi store BUT I COULDN'T!!! WHERE IS IT :?
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=124609
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:30 pm

When Debian makes a stable release they create the new testing at the same time. So when Debian wheezy became stable, Debian jessie was created. It then went through a development lifecycle of it's own eventually becoming a stable release.

Some time after jessie was created but a long time before it becamse a stable release of Debian we added jessie to the raspbian respositories (what this topic was originally out). This didn't happen immediately as it required some infrastructure changes to support rebuilding more than one release. I didn't think the raspberry pi foundation would do a very good job of chasing a moving target (they seem to have enough trouble dealing with a non-moving one). So I advised them to hold off on bringing their stuff forward to jessie until the freeze (the point at which Debian stops making major breaking changes and starts focussing on bugfixing before release.

When the freeze came I started to bug the raspberry pi foundation about bringing their stuff foward to jessie but they were busy with other things and it took them a long time to get it done. It didn't help that a lot of people were getting boot problems after upgrading. Eventually at least some of these boot problems were traced to an incompatibility between systemd and an init script added by the raspberry pi foundation.

P.S. I locked this topic and then changed my mind and unlocked it again in case people want to reply to my post, but please keep general questions about jessie as it is today in more relavent topics.

Return to “Raspbian”