MrWm

Re: jessie added to main raspbian archive

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Well... This might be an old thread, but I am wondering if Debian Unstable aka "sid" is available for us to point our sources.list.
Or is it discouraged/not available :?:
LOOK! A RAINBOW!!!

joan

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:42 pm

As far as I'm aware Raspbian only tracks the stable and testing distributions of Debian.

You'd have to be using Debian (soft-float) to track unstable (sid).

gowen

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:18 am

hifi wrote:Latest raspbian-ua-netinst has full jessie support out of box now. You just need to set the release to jessie as described earlier but do not need the cat hack anymore.

Example installer-config.txt to install the server preset jessie:

Code: Select all

release=jessie
I've just tried to create a jessie install using this method. Everything appeared to work fine until the reboot at the end, where I was presented with a shaded blue band down the middle of the screen and only the pwr led lit. After a while the screen power saver kicked in.

I've now tried the install twice on different monitors and get the same result. Any ideas?

DougieLawson

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:20 pm

gowen wrote:
I've just tried to create a jessie install using this method. Everything appeared to work fine until the reboot at the end, where I was presented with a shaded blue band down the middle of the screen and only the pwr led lit. After a while the screen power saver kicked in.

I've now tried the install twice on different monitors and get the same result. Any ideas?
I've just had the exact same results with raspbian-ua-netinst 1.0.2 trying to install wheezy.

EDIT: There's a solution here: https://github.com/debian-pi/raspbian-u ... /issues/68 by editing the config.txt file to point to the 3.12-1 initramfs (rather than 3.10-3).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gowen

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:03 am

DougieLawson wrote: There's a solution here: https://github.com/debian-pi/raspbian-u ... /issues/68 by editing the config.txt file to point to the 3.12-1 initramfs (rather than 3.10-3).
Thanks Dougie, that worked like a charm.

For anyone else with this problem:
1. Run the install until you get the blue band.
2. Take your SD card out of the Pi and place it in a PC/Mac.
3. Open the boot partition. It's in FAT format so can be read on just about anything.
4. Many of the files in this directory are named with the version. E.g. initrd.img-3.12-1-rpi. Make a note of this number.
5. Open the config.txt file and change the "initramfs initrd.img-3.10-3-rpi" line to match the current version.
6. Save the file and eject the SD card.
7. Put the card back in the Pi and power it on. Fingers crossed, it should now boot.

diederik

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
gowen wrote: I've just tried to create a jessie install using this method. Everything appeared to work fine until the reboot at the end, where I was presented with a shaded blue band down the middle of the screen and only the pwr led lit. After a while the screen power saver kicked in.

I've just had the exact same results with raspbian-ua-netinst 1.0.2 trying to install wheezy.

EDIT: There's a solution here: https://github.com/debian-pi/raspbian-u ... /issues/68 by editing the config.txt file to point to the 3.12-1 initramfs (rather than 3.10-3).
raspbian-ua-netinst 1.0.3 has just been released, which fixes this issue.

Outersyn

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:55 am

Hi, after a system update (sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade ) tonight and a reboot, the display is stuck in a loop:

1. display blanks
2. X pointer flashes
3. These messages are printed to the console:

bcm2708_fb_pan_display(0,0) returns=0

(...over and over)

I tried by doing Ctrl+Alt+F4 and then running a rpi-update, but didn't helped, also I restored the boot partition with a backup, with no results. Anyone else had this error? Can anyone help me?

PD: Sorry if there's anything wrong with my english, i'm not a native speaker

ddd1600

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:09 am

Upgrading to jessie causes my bootup to crash every time no matter what I do.

Here's what I see before I die:

[FAILED] Failed to start Modem Manager.
See 'systemctl status ModemManger.service' for details.

And then my startup crashes. Never moves, freezes, that's the end.

Micha1982

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:01 am

Also some problems after update, upgrade and dist-upgrade (!)...it starts, but taskbar has strange colors, windows and pointer often flickering...as if something got terribly wrong.

Dont know what exactly...but already read that there is a new desktop? Think I am going to install it completly fresh and new. Sure a lot of work, but then I know everything is fresh and clean, actual and hopefully working again.

In the meanwhile I´ll have a closer look at RiscOS.....
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

Fght

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 pm

rpdom wrote:
shuckle wrote:So how can it be used? I bet apt-get update will not find it?
Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list

Change all lines that have "wheezy" to "jessie".

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
during installation from the raspbian of the first two commands i was receiving some yes or no questions... i'm not sure if i chose the right answers. right now i'm in the last command.

is there a chance the installation won't be installed properly because of wrong choices?

PeterO

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 am

I tried this last evening on a Pi2. I wanted to see if the Qt5 development environment worked on Jessie, but it was a waste of time. qtcreator failed to run because it seemed to want to use openGL and didn't fall back to anything else and just exited!

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 am

I've been running Jessie for ages on one of my Bs. Last night I reverted my 2B to Wheezy because systemd is just too unstable to use. I've gone with the /etc/apt/preferences route so I could install MariaDB on a Wheezy install.

I wasted a lot of time doing battle with systemctl and journalctl to try to fathom why systemd wasn't working (stuff would start at some boots but not the next) and was the PID 1 systemd task was running 100% busy on one of the four cores.

It was a pain reverting, I'd done a lot of work to get my 2B ready to replace my old Viglen MPC-L.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:13 am

Theres also the option of running jessie with sysvinit.

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:18 am

plugwash wrote:Theres also the option of running jessie with sysvinit.
I was trying to embrace the future. But at the moment systemd is seriously awful. It'll be a long time before Wheezy is replaced while that mess is sorted out.

I'm going to stick with Wheezy on my 2B server because I need a stable system.

Shoka

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:11 pm

When "professional beta testers" decide something is too flaky to tinker with, mere mortals should steer a mile clear methinks :cry:
Cheers Harry

asandford

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I've been running Jessie for ages on one of my Bs. Last night I reverted my 2B to Wheezy because systemd is just too unstable to use. I've gone with the /etc/apt/preferences route so I could install MariaDB on a Wheezy install.

I wasted a lot of time doing battle with systemctl and journalctl to try to fathom why systemd wasn't working (stuff would start at some boots but not the next) and was the PID 1 systemd task was running 100% busy on one of the four cores.

It was a pain reverting, I'd done a lot of work to get my 2B ready to replace my old Viglen MPC-L.
Glad it wasn't just me, recently it's gone mental (misery loves company :) ).

dickg4bbh

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:40 am

Is this still a valid way of upgrading? I have a spare microSD card for my RPi2 loaded with latest wheezy updates and want to have a look at jessie. OK I realise there may be bugs :-)
Richard

rpdom wrote:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:55 am

dickg4bbh wrote:Is this still a valid way of upgrading? I have a spare microSD card for my RPi2 loaded with latest wheezy updates and want to have a look at jessie. OK I realise there may be bugs :-)
Richard

rpdom wrote:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Yes, but you may be dissapointed with the end result ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

Claggy

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:50 pm

dickg4bbh wrote:Is this still a valid way of upgrading? I have a spare microSD card for my RPi2 loaded with latest wheezy updates and want to have a look at jessie. OK I realise there may be bugs :-)
Richard

rpdom wrote:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
I updated a new Pi Model B installation to Jessie a week or so ago without problems, where previously it wouldn't complete the boot,

Claggy

dickg4bbh

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:19 am

Thanks Claggy. I have now done an upgrade to jessie and it seems to work. There were a whole bunch of questions about updating various packages. I went with the default (N) each time. There is a minor hiccup with alsa sound when my existing application switches between input and output but should be resolvable. I am having no problems using the VNC server and accessing the RPi via the internet..

Richard

milkmandan

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:02 am

any chance we'll see a stable distro of Raspbian with Jessie @ https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ soon?

I am mid working on a project with my rpi, but if a new image coming soon, I'd rather hold out instead of editing my /etc/apt/sources.list and running upgrades as I don't want to be "disappointed with the end results". :oops:

rpdom

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:28 am

milkmandan wrote:any chance we'll see a stable distro of Raspbian with Jessie @ https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ soon?
I doubt it will be "soon", but it shouldn't be very long before that happens. I'd be very surprised if there aren't a number of people looking at what is required for generating and supporting a Jessie image right now.

Some of the existing documentation will probably need to be re-written due to the significant changes in the way the default init system in Jessie works. Using that correctly is going to be a big learning curve for some of the more experience Linux users.

justinsb

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 pm

Something to bear in mind is that the upgrade process will completely fill a 4gb SD card, so it's not worth trying it on anything less than an 8gb one, says he, speaking from experience here... I had to dd my 4gb card onto an 8gb one & expand the partition, but thankfully it picked up the upgrade where it had crashed out & completed it all OK.

gdt

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Some notes I made upgrading a Raspberry Pi2 from Raspbian Wheezy to Raspbian Jessie. The notes are particularly strong on solving post-upgrade issues which prevent successful boot (udev rules, ifplugd, cgroups, systemd-stub, etc). Enjoy.

olivier2831

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:57 pm

gdt wrote:Some notes I made upgrading a Raspberry Pi2 from Raspbian Wheezy to Raspbian Jessie. The notes are particularly strong on solving post-upgrade issues which prevent successful boot (udev rules, ifplugd, cgroups, systemd-stub, etc). Enjoy.
Very interesting !
Thanks

Return to “Raspbian”