phlip

Changing wallpaper should be simple, but...

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:49 am

Hello,

I'm setting up my pi (Raspbian) to use as a desktop, but as it's my first time on a Debian-based system I seem to be getting the simplest things wrong. Like this one: was playing around with the 'manage desktop utility' (I suppose it's called) and changed my available wallpapers that I had downloaded to ~/etc/alternatives/. Now, the thingy has an advanced tab, and I tried that. One box said 'right-clicking the desktop will show desktop alternatives' or some some-such, which sounded useful, so I checked that, and closed the utility. Right-clicking on the desktop now took me to what appears to be a desktop switcher, but there's no way I can get back to the 'manage deskop utility', and I can't seem to find it anywhere in the menu. Worst thing about it, I'm stuck with a truly ghastly wallpaper that I can't get rid off :oops: .. Help anyone?

Cheers,
Phlip

"...there are no fool-proof methods, fools are much too crafty"
Phlip

"...there are no fool-proof methods, fools are much too crafty"

nerd7473

Re: Changing wallpaper should be simple, but...

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Hey I cant change my wallpaper but try this:

Code: Select all

sudo pcmanfm --desktop-pref
That should allow you to change your wallpaper but if it doesn't then you may be having the same problem I am having...
nerd7473

klricks

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:12 pm

nerd7473 wrote:Hey I cant change my wallpaper but try this:

Code: Select all

sudo pcmanfm --desktop-pref
That should allow you to change your wallpaper but if it doesn't then you may be having the same problem I am having...
Do not use sudo...
pcmanfm --desktop-pref
Then go to advanced tab and un-select the only option there.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

diederik

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:49 am

phlip wrote:my available wallpapers that I had downloaded to ~/etc/alternatives/.
I hope the "~/" part isn't a typo and your wallpapers are indeed in your home directory.
/etc/alternatives/ is meant for sth else entirely and you probably don't want to play around in that directory directly.

klricks

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:17 am

diederik wrote:
phlip wrote:my available wallpapers that I had downloaded to ~/etc/alternatives/.
I hope the "~/" part isn't a typo and your wallpapers are indeed in your home directory.
/etc/alternatives/ is meant for sth else entirely and you probably don't want to play around in that directory directly.
Probably the reason that path was mentioned by the OP is that the /etc/alternatives is the location of the default Raspberry Pi logo image file (desktop-background) and a few other wallpapers are there as well. The wallpaper select tool in right click menu will allow you to choose any path and image file for wallpaper.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Raspbian”