redhawk

Raspbian vs Pidora??

Tue May 28, 2013 2:33 pm

After checking on the download page I noticed a new distro called Pidora which is based on Fedora Remix.

Without going into great detail what are the pros and cons of both distros, and whether there would be any benefit for switching to Pidora from Raspbian??

Also why is the Image for Raspbian so old (Feb 9th) when it's getting close to June now??

Richard S.

BrianXP7

Re: Raspbian vs Pidora??

Wed May 29, 2013 5:07 pm

I guess personal preference?

Also, I agree the Raspbian image is old. I hate having to run a 4 hour long update.
Last edited by BrianXP7 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMan2XS

Wed May 29, 2013 6:36 pm

I've been playing with Pidora for a couple of days and have a few observations which may save others some time:

if you install autofs you may need to install cifs-tools too.

tar is not installed by default

by default firewalld is switched on, I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but if you run any kind of web service on your Pidora box you will probably need to modify or disable the firewall. (I installed monit, like I have on my Raspian Pis & couldn't connect to the web interface).

I did a yum update & it took over 3 hours to complete (140MB download, 415 actions to be carried out)

Pidora didn't support my wireless keyboard & mouse like Raspian does, I had to borrow USB ones from one of my other boxes.

If you want to use ifconfig you need to install net-tools.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm learning a lot that I'm sure will be useful in the future. These are just some of the differences I've found coming from Raspian.

CortanaJPN

Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 pm

An updated version of Raspian has been produced, as you can see it in the mirrors. I don't know why it's not on the website yet though.

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images/raspbian/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 29, 2013 7:27 pm

It's waiting for Noobs final testing I think - played with Noobs today - a great advance on the previous SD card imaging process.

Latest Raspbian has latest firmware, and finally include rsync as standard! I did an immediate update and it was about two packages.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

pjc123

Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 pm

jamesh wrote:It's waiting for Noobs final testing I think - played with Noobs today - a great advance on the previous SD card imaging process.

Latest Raspbian has latest firmware, and finally include rsync as standard! I did an immediate update and it was about two packages.
So, in order to use NOOBS is it necessary to install the complete Raspbian OS first and then you would have multiboot capability, or is it a menu that pops up first and resides outside of any OS that you want to install? The reason I ask is that I don't want to install Raspbian as it would be a waste of space, as I want to experiment with other new operating systems.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

BrianXP7

Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 am

pjc123 wrote:So, in order to use NOOBS is it necessary to install the complete Raspbian OS first and then you would have multiboot capability, or is it a menu that pops up first and resides outside of any OS that you want to install? The reason I ask is that I don't want to install Raspbian as it would be a waste of space, as I want to experiment with other new operating systems.
In the case with BerryBoot, no. You select a list of images you want to install but they are a bit outdated.
Last edited by BrianXP7 on Thu May 30, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjc123

Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 am

BrianXP7 wrote: In the case with BerryBoot, no. You select a list of images you want to install but they are a bit outdated.
I never used BerryBoot; I thought that was a different product, so what does that have anything to do with NOOBS?
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

BrianXP7

Thu May 30, 2013 2:18 am

pjc123 wrote:
BrianXP7 wrote: In the case with BerryBoot, no. You select a list of images you want to install but they are a bit outdated.
I never used BerryBoot; I thought that was a different product, so what does that have anything to do with NOOBS?
Oh, I misunderstood you. Now I know you're talking about the BerryBoot-based multiboot system. I'm not so sure myself as I never used it yet.

muonpaul

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Noobs provides you with a list of distros and you simply select the os you want. Options currently include raspian, arch linux, pidora, raspbmc and openelec

DanielBarker

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 pm

One of the most important differences between distributions of Linux is, is the availability of packages you can install via the standard package-management system.

For example, for biomedical work, there is a very useful range of free packages you can just install on Debian or Raspbian with apt-get, thanks to the software-packaging efforts of the Debian Med project.

This availability of relevant packages is one of the things which makes the Raspberry Pi (with Raspbian) suitable for computational biology education.

Not everyone has focused on Debian - some other subject areas may be better represented in the package repositories of other Linux distributions.

Depending on your planned use of the system, this may not matter at all. I imagine the 'standard' GNU software is available in Linux packages for most/all Linux distributions.

Daniel Barker http://biology.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/db60

Return to “Raspbian”