Dantounet

armv6l or armhf

Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 am

Hi,

I am getting confused when trying to compile spl and zfs for my rasperry pi.
I got a Raspbian image so I concluded it is the hard floating point image (as I did not take the soft one).

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux backupi 3.6.11+ #452 PREEMPT Fri May 17 14:25:40 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
Why does it show armv6l and not armfh ?

The issue is that when I compile spl I get:

name=spl; \
        version=0.6.1-14_g99c452b; \
        arch=`rpm -qp ${name}-kmod-${version}.src.rpm --qf %{arch} | tail -1`; \
        pkg1=kmod-${name}*${version}.${arch}.rpm; \
        fakeroot alien --bump=0 --scripts --to-deb $pkg1; \
        rm -f $pkg1
kmod-spl-3.6.11+-0.6.1-14_g99c452b.armv6l.rpm is for architecture armv6l ; the package cannot be built on this system
but my `uname -a` returns armv6l, why is the actual architecture of the system not aligned with uname ? Should I pass a specific architecture to my compilations as the "guessing" seems wrong ?

regards

Dantounet

Re: armv6l or armhf

Tue May 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Solved the issue doing:

./configure --with-linux=/usr/src/raspberrypi-linux-3.6.11 --build=arm-linux-gnueabihf --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf && make
and then make install.

However, when trying make pkg so that I can have deb packages to install it fails due to Alien/dpkg which considers that the package is for armv6l and not armhf

sander2

Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 pm

I have no answer for you, just a few questions / remarks:

- are you running on Raspi hardware, or emulated?
- Raspbian itself must know it's armhf, for example if you "sudo apt-get install ..." you see "armhf" in the stdout
- I've made a lot of packages (./configure, make, etc) on Raspbian armhf without problem. So: is the problem you describe in your configure / make file?

PS: you can check whether a binary is armhf with this trick:

$ readelf -A `which perl` | grep "VFP reg"
  Tag_ABI_VFP_args: VFP registers
If that line is there, it's armhf.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 23, 2013 5:20 pm

Kernel architecture names and debian architecture names don't nessacerally match.

Why are you trying to build a rpm as part of your attempts to install something on a debian based distro anyway?

remsnet

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:22 pm

plugwash wrote:Kernel architecture names and debian architecture names don't nessacerally match.

Why are you trying to build a rpm as part of your attempts to install something on a debian based distro anyway?
i explain that for him ( have had equal issues .. ):

Native ZFS ( spl/zfs) from -> https://github.com/zfsonlinux are not build als debian.

...The author BRian don´t like the debian buildsystem et all at the mainsteam source "spl" and "zfs"

Thus the only way to get deb packages are via alien usage.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”