Hexxeh

Re: Debian Hard Float (armhf) for RPi

Tue May 01, 2012 7:31 pm

I"ve put together a Raspberry Pi SD card image for Raspbian. to download it. Username is root, password is hexxeh. It"s a totally minimal image at 84MB compressed. mpthompson, if you"d like a dedicated Pi with SSH setup running this, I can arrange that for you, just let me know. I"m around on #raspberrypi on Freenode most of the time during the day UK time.

URL is distribution.hexxeh.net/raspbian/raspbian-r1.zip

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 01, 2012 8:14 pm

mpthompson said:

(Mouser may have some next week).

I'd suggest putting the order in with mouser to secure your place in the queue, you can always cancel it if you find some somewhere else first.

mpthompson

Tue May 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Hexxeh said:

I"ve put together a Raspberry Pi SD card image for Raspbian. to download it. Username is root, password is hexxeh. It"s a totally minimal image at 84MB compressed. mpthompson, if you"d like a dedicated Pi with SSH setup running this, I can arrange that for you, just let me know. I"m around on #raspberrypi on Freenode most of the time during the day UK time.

URL is distribution.hexxeh.net/raspbian/raspbian-r1.zip

Hexxeh, thanks.  I'm going to try and get the Raspbian web site up today and tomorrow and this will be a featured link.

mpthompson

Tue May 01, 2012 8:37 pm

plugwash said:

I'd suggest putting the order in with mouser to secure your place in the queue, you can always cancel it if you find some somewhere else first.
Done.  They say they have 95 coming in on May 8th.  Hopefully that is the case.

Hexxeh

Tue May 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Made a couple mistakes with that image, uploading a new one very soon. New one includes latest kernel, too.

Edit: New version including new USB boot enabled kernel and VC libs/bins/demos at distribution.hexxeh.net/raspbian/raspbian-r2.zip

joemegahertz

Wed May 02, 2012 2:07 am

I think I may have found you some boards. It is located in Texas.  I emailed them asking for a quote (none provided on site) they seem to have the option of a reduced price if buying in bulk, not sure what bulk means to this company though. check it out if you want

http://search.specialtypartsinc.com/

hope this helps

mpthompson

Wed May 02, 2012 2:46 am

As of Monday evening the package counts stand at:

Debian armhf 34227
Raspbian armhf 22984

Not quite a 1000 packages so far for today, but we should break through that within an hour or so.  Compilations are beginning to take longer and the packages are bigger which indicates were getting more into the meat of Debian.  A bit over 11000 packages to go.

Things may slow down for a day or so as I just updated the repository and about 250 already completed packages now have new source code and need to be rebuilt.

Overall, things are going pretty smoothly and the autobuilders continue to churn away.

mpthompson

Wed May 02, 2012 4:13 am

joemegahertz said:

I think I may have found you some boards. It is located in Texas.  I emailed them asking for a quote (none provided on site) they seem to have the option of a reduced price if buying in bulk, not sure what bulk means to this company though. check it out if you want

http://search.specialtypartsinc.com/

I put a request for a quote in on their website, but I'm not sure if it's working or not.  Very poor website design.  We'll see what they come back with.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Hexxeh said:

Edit: New version including new USB boot enabled kernel and VC libs/bins/demos at distribution.hexxeh.net/raspbian/raspbian-r2.zip
When I paste that link in the address bar manually it works fine but when I put a link to it on the elinux wiki and tried to follow it I just got redirected to your blog.

mpthompson

Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 pm

If someone with the QEMU image wants to help out, the source package 'xserver-xorg-video-msm' is being detected as having armv7 code and being kept from being uploaded to the repository.  This is probably a case where the build is triggering on 'armhf' to compile armv7 assembly files or in-line assembly code in the C files.

One of the shell script utilities we use to detect armv7 code within .deb files can be found here:  http://pastebin.com/BtSdvrXM

I also have a more refined Perl version of this, but it's part of a much larger, more complex utility and I haven't found time to separate the code out to a standalone utility.  I can post code to that and perhaps someone with more Perl skills than I have can turn it into a slick, robust standalone utility for determining if a package has armv7 code within it.

Refining this detection process is important as we'll want to prevent the accidental installation of Debian armhf packages containing armv7 code on the Raspberry Pi.  If a kid, following some instructions on the Internet, accidentally modifies their 'sources.list' file to point to the official Debian armhf repository, they could easily render their Pi unbootable by simply updating packages.  I would really like to modify dpkg on Raspbian to prevent this from happening.  Refining these scripts to detect armv7 code in an efficient manner as possible would be a good first step.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 pm

mpthompson said:

If someone with the QEMU image wants to help out, the source package 'xserver-xorg-video-msm' is being detected as having armv7 code and being kept from being uploaded to the repository.

Is there any particular reason we need this driver, it seems to be specific to a handful of GPUs.

mpthompson

Wed May 02, 2012 5:32 pm

plugwash said:

Is there any particular reason we need this driver, it seems to be specific to a handful of GPUs.
I didn't even think about that.  Unless someone thinks we need it I'll add it to the local filter list so the autobuilders don't keep attempting to rebuild it.

mpthompson

Thu May 03, 2012 3:16 am

The package counts as of Wednesday evening.

Debian armhf 34227
Raspbian armhf 23378

As I expected, the count was a little lower today as we had play catchup with the first update of the source packages in about two weeks.  That brought in updates to several hundred packages that needed to be rebuilt with the updated source source before the building of new packages resumed.  We'll be updating the repository from the Debian packages on a daily basis now so the impact of new packages will be much less from here on out.

The build queue remains healthy and it seems we mostly just need to wait until most everything gets built.  There are bound to be some dependency knots that will need to be untangled, but we'll deal with those as they occur.

mpthompson

Fri May 04, 2012 2:12 am

Spent the day wrangling nginx, uWSGI, Python and MoinMoin to finally get a very basic home for Raspbian on the Internet setup. I couldn't find a single how-to that explained getting all four working together so I had a really fun time making sense of contradictory instructions.  Anyway, the results can be seen here:

http://www.raspbian.org/

The link above may still not work for everyone as the .org name is probably still propagating around name servers.  The link below will work in the meantime:

http://www.raspbian.com/

However, I do intend for the real home to be the .org domain name as this is not a commercial venture.

At least now there is a place to start putting documentation and such.

mpthompson

Fri May 04, 2012 2:24 am

A good, solid day of building packages yields the following package counts as of early Thursday evening:

Debian armhf 34227
Raspbian armhf 24124

With about 7000 architecture specific binary packages now built, there are a little over 10,000 to go to reach parity with Debian armhf.

john.mills

Fri May 04, 2012 5:57 am

Hi Mike,

That is a good step getting the Raspbian site up and running. I think you are going to need your own forums going forward as there will be a lot of individual steps you will need to make Raspbian in to a distro. A lot of things will be running in parellel. I think this thread will become a little difficult to follow eventually, especially for new users coming to Raspbian in the future.

Good progress!

John

mpthompson

Fri May 04, 2012 6:51 am

john.mills said:

That is a good step getting the Raspbian site up and running. I think you are going to need your own forums going forward as there will be a lot of individual steps you will need to make Raspbian in to a distro. A lot of things will be running in parellel. I think this thread will become a little difficult to follow eventually, especially for new users coming to Raspbian in the future.
Yes, a forum might be necessary.  However, I was kinda hoping that I could get away without one or see if I could grab a section once the RPi Foundation updates their forum software here.  I've managed a phpbb forum before for another open source project and it was a constant headache dealing with all the spammers that seek out forums to link-spam the rest of the Internet.

As Raspbian is essentially Debian, there are lots of places to go get Debian help -- forums, email and IRC. With this in mind, perhaps adding yet another forum to the mix is just creating clutter.  Particularly when there will be an official Raspberry Pi forum that we should be able to participate in.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud about this.  There is still time before Raspbian becomes useful and perhaps by then we'll see what this forum has evolved into.

louisb

Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am

Wow thanks for all your hard work, so many questions

Do you have an SD image yet? Are you planning to provide one? if so when?

What would be on this image? would it include xbmc?

When do you plan to go live? or are you live already?

Is it just the repository you will provide or any customization?

Do you have a list of all the packages? What are your plans for xbmc?

Thanks

Louis

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 04, 2012 10:14 am

louisb said:

Do you have an SD image yet? Are you planning to provide one? if so when?

hexxh has built one (see earlier in this thread), I haven't tried it personally because I have not yet succeeded in getting my hands on a Pi.

What would be on this image? would it include xbmc?

The current image is pretty minimal, basically the debian base system plus the rpi blobs and one or two other important things.

When do you plan to go live? or are you live already?

The repositry is live at http://debian.raspbian.com/debian (note: this url will likely be changed later, it looks too much like debian), however don't expect to be able to install a GUI just yet.

Timings are difficult to predict because we don't know how long packages will take to autobuild and we don't know which packages will need manual intervention to get them built.

Is it just the repository you will provide or any customization?

We aim to keep the "main" area of the repositry as close to debian as possible with changes limited to those we deem essential (fixing build failures, ensuring code is generated with appropriate compiler options etc).

We will likely add either an extra repo or an extra area within the existing repo for Pi specific packages (pi blobs, pi kernel, packages specifically tweaked for the Pi etc) later but for now we are focussing on getting the packages from debian built.

Do you have a list of all the packages?

You can get the packages file from

http://debian.raspbian.com/deb.....ackages.gz

Note however that just because a package is present doesn't gaurantee it's installable and just because a package is installable doesn't gaurantee it will actually work.

What are your plans for xbmc?

Honestly it's not something we have treally thought about.

There is a debian package for xbmc which will presumablly be built by our autobuilers at some point but I dunno if it will work with the Pi's acceleration. If the debian version doesn't work with the accelleration and someone wants to package up a version that does we would likely welcome that into the section we create for Pi specific software.

veryevil

Fri May 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Hey, Got my Second PI today so if you are still interested and think it will genuinely help move this forward and help with creating images and getting packages biuld them I'm still up for lending it to Plugwash for the cause.

Let me know / PM me if you are interested.

Steven

mpthompson

Fri May 04, 2012 4:36 pm

veryevil said:

Hey, Got my Second PI today so if you are still interested and think it will genuinely help move this forward and help with creating images and getting packages biuld them I'm still up for lending it to Plugwash for the cause.

This will indeed be a very big help.  I'm certain plugwash will be in touch with you shortly to borrow the hardware.  Thank you very much.

mpthompson

Fri May 04, 2012 4:54 pm

This morning I went through my usual tasks of making sure the nightly builds went smoothly and that packages are continuing to roll out of the build servers into the repository.  For some reason, this song got stuck in my mind as I found my self humming it:

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...

Have a good day everyone.

mpthompson

Sat May 05, 2012 4:01 am

Time for a daily build update.  The latest numbers as of Friday evening are (drum roll please):

Debian armhf 34274
Raspbian armhf 25024

A little over 9000 to reach parity with Debian armhf.  Really wish I had the additional iMX53 build systems, but things are still going pretty good without the additional horse power.  We seem to be averaging about 600 to 900 new binary packages a day.

Right now the build queue is looking a little thin as there are are some new dependency knots that will need to be untangled to shake loose 1000's of new packages to build.  I've got a lot of family activities scheduled for this weekend, but I'll try to put some effort into finding what manual built packages will free up hundreds more to be auto-built.  Plugwash certainly has a better knack for it than I do and I'm certain he'll be untangling some knots as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress over the coming week as we begin to close in on the Debian armhf package count.  I can't wait until we have enough built to fire up X and run a graphical GUI.

mpthompson

Sun May 06, 2012 3:31 pm

My weekend has been devoted to family activities so I had hardly any time to work on Raspbian, except to make sure the build machines continue to chug away.  As we reach deeper into Debian we are now starting to hit the packages with a lot of meat on them.  This is slowing down builds in terms of net package count, but the lower package count is compensated by these being the packages that will make a Raspbian system more useful for everyone.

As of Sunday morning the current count is:

Debian armhf 34274
Raspbian armhf 25711

Plugwash has done a terrific job with keeping the build queue healthy.  He tells me there may now be enough built to try to install and fire up X windows.  I can't wait to try it out with QEMU and see how it goes.  Lots of good stuff in the build queue so this week looks like it will be a great one in terms of seeing functionality of Raspbian take a major step forward.

atcapollo

Mon May 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Sorry novice question what's the difference between Debian and Raspbian armhf? I assumed this was the core packages but looking at the same build targets I guess not.

Return to “Raspbian”