gkreidl

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:03 pm

hustlerinc wrote:This is a noob question, but how do I download and install the latest version of this browser from the terminal in default raspbian wheezy?
wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kweb_1.1.tar.gz
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

hustlerinc

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 pm

gkreidl wrote:
hustlerinc wrote:This is a noob question, but how do I download and install the latest version of this browser from the terminal in default raspbian wheezy?
wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kweb_1.1.tar.gz
I thought 1.2 was released?

gkreidl

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:18 pm

hustlerinc wrote: I thought 1.2 was released?
Not yet. It's been sent to a few people for beta testing and I still have to add the new stuff to the manual.

At the moment I'm testing, if I can add VLC with RPi hardware acceleration as an optional repacement for omxplayer.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

karlkiste

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:08 am

Hi! I'm looking for a gpu accelerated browser. Seems to be possible on the pi, like here:

http://developersnote.blogspot.kr/2013/ ... ebkit.html

It says it was quite easy... Well, not for me ;-) The biggest problem mentioned is, the accelerated parts of a window can't be hidden behind other windows. That is no concern at all for a kiosk browser!

So, could please somebody who is familiar with these things try to find out if this really is that easy? This could make kweb the first browser on the pi to smoohtly play HTML5 effects :-)

gkreidl

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:28 am

I'm experimenting with webkitgt 2.2, which has wayland support (and more to come in the next versions). But with the packages supplied in the current Raspbian release it is almost impossible. We need new versions of gtk+3, pango, cairo, glib and so on. As soon as we migrate to Jessie it will become much easier. And we're also waiting for wayland, of course. And webkitgt 2.2 can support gstreamer 1.0 with omx hardware acceleration.

Maybe in a few months your dreams may come true.

karlkiste

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 am

Hmpf, can't wait that long...

While I'm not programming the pi, I'm used to trying beta software. So if you've got new features... ;-)

Little addition to the manual: You're writing, if kiosk mode is started without keyboard control, the browser can only be killed from another computer using SSH. This is not completely true, as you can switch to a text console (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2) to login and kill kweb.

EDIT:

I was wrong. Killing via SSH is mentioned in the manual when omxplayer hangs, where this is allmost true. omxplayer is always on top of everything, so a text console is still invisible.

However, the combination "Ctrl-Alt-F2" - "Ctrl-Alt-Del" will do a clean reboot.

hustlerinc

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:14 pm

Whats the status of 1.2? When will it be released?

I need the features of that version to start my project. :D

gkreidl

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

hustlerinc wrote:Whats the status of 1.2? When will it be released?

I need the features of that version to start my project. :D
Some time this week .... :-)

gkreidl

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:46 am

Version 1.2 is available now and also the updated manual (see entry post).

I've added an example in the manual about using kweb for a signage or presentation system and also a set of files that show how it works (slideshow folder inside the tools folder).

derekdhaas

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks for this great program, I modified kwebhelper.py a bit so that wget is including cookies when downloading.

P.s. I used os.system, because I don't want it to stop executing the python script:

os.system('/usr/bin/wget -P {0} --no-clobber --adjust-extension --content-disposition {1} --load-cookies {2}'.format(dldir, url, homedir + "/.web_cookie_jar"))

wget is compatible with the .web_cookie_jar created by webkit (kweb).

Sometimes downloading requires the cookies to be set (it was in my case). You might want to include it in your build.

gkreidl

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks!

That's a great idea and I'll include it into the next release (after testing it). I wasn't even aware, that the cookie file created by webkit is compatible with wget.

BTW, I tried to spare memory by not using os.system (in most cases). That's something I always had in mind: keep the resources needed as low as possible.
Guenter

tfpereira

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Anyone been able to compile this on arch? I wanted to test this with certain html5 animated websites, but I'd hate to have to burn a raspbian image just for that.

gkreidl

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:03 pm

tfpereira wrote:Anyone been able to compile this on arch? I wanted to test this with certain html5 animated websites, but I'd hate to have to burn a raspbian image just for that.
Try installing midori first. If that works, compiling shouldn't be a problem. You'll need libwebkitgtk-dev at least.

But animated HTML5 stuff is slow on the RPi as long as we cannot use HW acceleration.

tfpereira

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:36 pm

gkreidl wrote:
tfpereira wrote:Anyone been able to compile this on arch? I wanted to test this with certain html5 animated websites, but I'd hate to have to burn a raspbian image just for that.
Try installing midori first. If that works, compiling shouldn't be a problem. You'll need libwebkitgtk-dev at least.

But animated HTML5 stuff is slow on the RPi as long as we cannot use HW acceleration.
I see. How close is progress to a solution that allows us to have HTML5 on the RPi? I'm working on a solution which would greatly benefit from beeing able to run HTML5 animated content. I read it passes through Wayland, but I do not see much information passing through the topic.

derekdhaas

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:53 am

tfpereira:

http://codecereal.blogspot.nl/2013/06/nix.html

WebkitNix, a hardware accelerated webkit 2, with a minimal browser.

Full guide on how to install it on the raspberry pi:
https://github.com/WebKitNix/nix-rpi-sdk

Bumblebee

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Hello is there any way to invoke the "-window" option to omxgtk from the setting files?.

installed https://code.google.com/p/minimal-web-b ... b&can=2&q=

Then added:

omxoptions = ['-window']

to kwebhelper.py and kwebhelper_settings.py then installing it but no workie.

I am using my raspberry pi as my main computer so it would be nice to have this function when you are multitasking and want to listen to the video in the background while doing other stuff.

gkreidl

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:02 pm

It seems that you mean "omxgtk", a kind of "windowed" interface to omxplayer. It has been supported in the last version of Minimal Web Browser, from which Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb) has been forked many months ago, but not from kweb. You may try to change the code of kwebhelper.py to call omxgtk instead of omxplayer, but this requires quite a lot of changes. In my view, omxgtk never was stable and it didn't really work for me. And omxplayer has changed a lot meanwhile, while omxgtk hasn't been updated for months.

gkreidl

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 pm

New version of kwebhelper.py 1.2.5 available

This will go into the next version 1.3 of Minimal Kiosk Browser, but I thought I'll make it available separately for now. There are two big changes:

The website video part (youtube and many other websites) has been completely rewritten. Until now, youtube-dl was used to download the streams to a fifo buffer and omxplayer played the streams from that buffer. Now youtube-dl (still required!) is only used to extract the video urls and these urls are passed to omxplayer directly. There are a lot of advantages:

Youtube playlists, channels etc. are now also supported (playing a whole list of videos, one after the other).
Videos from a few websites that showed problems in the past (arte.tv, ZDF Mediathek ...) can also be played now. And no more hangings with these sites!
Less stress on the SD card (by not writing to the fifo buffer any more)
It needs less resources (memory)

In fact, both the old and new method are available now. The new method is selected by setting
ytdl_direct_mode = True (which is the default value)
in kwebhelper_settings.py.
Setting it to "False" will tell the program to use the old method.

The second important change was required by recent changes in omxplayer. If you use kweb and omxplayer, to watch live TV streams (like I do), omxplayer needs other options (at least the "--live" option). So there are two arrays for omxplayer options now. To enable the live options, you will have to add the first part of the live TV url(s) to the live_tv list like this:
live_tv = ['http://192.168.0.5:9082']
For this to work you'll need the latest omxplayer build from http://omxplayer.sconde.net

And I've also enabled the cookie support for downloads, as proposed by derekdhaas.

The new version can be downloaded from here. After unpacking the archive, open a terminal, cd into the kwebhelper-1.2.5 folder and run:
sudo ./install.sh
This will replace the 1.2 versions of kwebhelper.py and kwebhelper_settings.py with the new 1.2.5 versions.

DSenette

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:04 pm

i'm having a hell of a time getting this guy to launch on a new pi box.

we're trying to display an internally hosted website, I can get it to display in kweb but not in kiosk mode. when I get to the part about xinit ./kiosk, xinit looks like it processes but then It tells me that ./kiosk cannot be found.

where am I supposed to put the kiosk file? /usr/?

also, how would one configure the raspberry pi to launch this on bootup

gkreidl

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:11 pm

The kiosk file must be in the top level of your home directory. If you login as "pi", it must be in /home/pi.

I never tried to auto boot into "xinit ./kiosk", but I've seen similar topics here on the forum; so you might find a solution there.

traybourne

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:13 pm

This browser seems pretty great, but I am having trouble getting the videos to play from within the browser. If I go to a YouTube video and click the play button at the top, the screen goes black for a second and then returns me to the browser page. I've got the latest youtube-dl, omxplayer, and I'm using 1.2 of this browser and 1.2.5 of kwebhelper. Is it maybe because I'm not using an HD TV and omxplayer is trying to play an HD video? Or is it able to detect what the max resolution is it can play?

gkreidl

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:56 am

traybourne wrote:This browser seems pretty great, but I am having trouble getting the videos to play from within the browser. If I go to a YouTube video and click the play button at the top, the screen goes black for a second and then returns me to the browser page. I've got the latest youtube-dl, omxplayer, and I'm using 1.2 of this browser and 1.2.5 of kwebhelper. Is it maybe because I'm not using an HD TV and omxplayer is trying to play an HD video? Or is it able to detect what the max resolution is it can play?
Please try the following steps:

Go to a youtube video page and copy its URL. Open a terminal and enter:
youtube-dl -g URL
where URL is the url you copied.
youtube-dl should return one long string, the video url. Copy this string.
enter:
omxplayer "VURL"
where VURL is the video url returned by youtube-dl. It must be set inside double quotes!

You can also add more options to the omxplayer command line (like '-o local'), if you need them.

Does this work for you? And if not, which error messages do you get, either from youtube-dl or from omxplayer?

traybourne

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:37 am

I tried that and youtube-dl seemed to generate the VURL without issue, but when I tried to open it with omxplayer, it just opened briefly and closed again. The terminal then just said [15+] Stopped. After that it said omxplayer followed by the VURL, but it was much shorter. Not sure if that is normal at all.

gkreidl

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 am

No, that is not normal at all.

First thing you should try is
sudo youtube-dl -U
to get the newest update. Then get the VURL with:
youtube-dl -g URL

Then try:
omxplayer -i "VURL"
What so you get?

Which omxplayer version so you use? I've tested it both with the current Raspbian version and with the latest version from omxplayer.sconde.net.

traybourne

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:37 pm

gkreidl wrote:No, that is not normal at all.

First thing you should try is
sudo youtube-dl -U
to get the newest update. Then get the VURL with:
youtube-dl -g URL

Then try:
omxplayer -i "VURL"
What so you get?

Which omxplayer version so you use? I've tested it both with the current Raspbian version and with the latest version from omxplayer.sconde.net.
I tried that and got the same results. After omxplayer closed, the terminal had all the information about the video, such as length and bitrate. One thing I noticed too is that the resolution of the video it was trying to play was 1280x720, which wouldn't work on my tv as it is 720x480 so I'm thinking that is the reason. I'm using the latest omxplayer that I got from apt-get too, not the one from omxplayer.sconde.net. Is it possible to make a second version of this browser that pulls a low-res video instead of a high-res for people like me? I took a quick look, but I couldn't find a way to make it work with your browser.

Thanks for all your help so far too!

Return to “Raspbian”