jweob

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks for the quick reply - you were right that it only affects webkit based browsers and your comment gave me the hint I needed to solve the problem.

When I tried using

Code: Select all

-webkit-transform
instead of

transform
it worked, and it still seems to work in iceweasel and chrome for windows.

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
FixedLowRes.jpg
It works!
FixedLowRes.jpg (61.58 KiB) Viewed 3084 times

lumsdot

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Kweb is great, and Youtube-dl and omxplayer work great as well.

BUT when i play youtube videos they always default to HD, which my broadband cannot cope with.
I would like to play them using the -f 18 (320p i think) youtube resolution, instead of the default -f 22 option (720p).

In the settings/configuration part of KWEB you can enter switchs for Youtube-dl and omxplay and Ive tried every combination of -f 18 i.e. -f18 [-f,18] [-f 18] etc but i always seem to get youtube played as HD.
Does anyone know the correct value to get youtube resultion 18 in kweb/omxplayer, thanks

gkreidl

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:32 pm

Try:

-f
2 separate lines in the text area of kweb settings.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

lumsdot

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:02 am

thanks, but that did not work. omxplayer did not even open,

in a terminal if it type

youtube-dl -f18 youtubelink this will download in non hd format
as does -f 18

does kweb allows custom buttons which a script could be ran from, then i could just have a script which downloads the video with youtube-dl, would be usefull for big hd videos also then i could start them downloading from the browser and go back and watch them later. i know i can go into terminal and do it by command line, but i am lazy

gkreidl

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 am

lumsdot wrote:thanks, but that did not work. omxplayer did not even open,
in a terminal if it type
youtube-dl -f18 youtubelink this will download in non hd format
as does -f 18
The setting field you must use is named "youtube_dl_options". It does work; I just tested it.
lumsdot wrote:does kweb allows custom buttons which a script could be ran from, then i could just have a script which downloads the video with youtube-dl, would be usefull for big hd videos also then i could start them downloading from the browser and go back and watch them later. i know i can go into terminal and do it by command line, but i am lazy
Yes, inside a local web page (HTML file), and also forms that execute scripts. Check the manual for details.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

lumsdot

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

thanks working ok now,
(I was using wrong options boxes before).

lumsdot

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:31 am

for me a great feature would be a download video button on the main menu ( next to play button)
maybe with option to select resolution of download i.e. non hd or hd.

but thats just an idea :D

well impressed with kweb

sifix

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 am

I start up kweb in kiosk mode on boot but I can't find a way to enable JavaScript without keyboard. Is there a way to boot it with JavaScript enabled?

gkreidl

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:25 am

sifix wrote:I start up kweb in kiosk mode on boot but I can't find a way to enable JavaScript without keyboard. Is there a way to boot it with JavaScript enabled?
"J" in options string.

If you start kweb in normal mode and go to the configuration page (:c), you'll see a list of all possible options (except "C") including the character for the options string. There's also a complete list in the manual.

sifix

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:34 pm

gkreidl wrote: "J" in options string.

If you start kweb in normal mode and go to the configuration page (:c), you'll see a list of all possible options (except "C") including the character for the options string. There's also a complete list in the manual.
Great, thanks again...

PuppetHoundZ

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Is it possible to get the play button on youtube-dl to play 1080p youtube videos from omxplayer by default?

Saw the previous post mention that SD version of videos were being downloaded which is why I ask.

gkreidl

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 pm

PuppetHoundZ wrote:Is it possible to get the play button on youtube-dl to play 1080p youtube videos from omxplayer by default?

Saw the previous post mention that SD version of videos were being downloaded which is why I ask.
You can add the prefered video quality in the youtube_dl_options area in kweb settings (one option or value per line!). Check "youtube-dl -h" for details (options in double quotes are not possible).

PuppetHoundZ

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:19 pm

gkreidl wrote:
You can add the prefered video quality in the youtube_dl_options area in kweb settings (one option or value per line!). Check "youtube-dl -h" for details (options in double quotes are not possible).
Check "youtube-dl -h" for details?
o I open terminal and put that in and check for setting options. ok I'll try that ;)

gkreidl

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:23 pm

PuppetHoundZ wrote: Check "youtube-dl -h" for details?
o I open terminal and put that in and check for setting options. ok I'll try that ;)
Yes, check for "-f" or "--format" options.
One possible solution is

-f
bestvideo
(in the youtube_dl_options" field).

PuppetHoundZ

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:30 am

It works. But no sound with youtube.com.
I even tried

-f
bestvideo+bestaudio 
The video and audio play separate (video stops then audios starts as a second file) because youtube separates them now whenusing html5 players.

The Pi probably can't combine them on the fly without taking a lot of processing time. Unless you got a solution.

lumsdot

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:25 am

you can download both vid and audio and then use ffmpeg to combine into a 1080p video

https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/2165

gkreidl

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:It works. But no sound with youtube.com.
I even tried

-f
bestvideo+bestaudio 
The video and audio play separate (video stops then audios starts as a second file) because youtube separates them now whenusing html5 players.

The Pi probably can't combine them on the fly without taking a lot of processing time. Unless you got a solution.
No. That's beyond the current capabilities of omxplayer.
BTW, I consider that a very stupid system (separating video and audio into two different TCP streams).

gkreidl

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:19 am

lumsdot wrote:you can download both vid and audio and then use ffmpeg to combine into a 1080p video

https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/2165
We are not downloading anything with kweb(3). youtube-dl is only used to extract the video URL and omxplayer(GUI) plays directly from that URL without downloading anything.

PuppetHoundZ

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:31 pm

gkreidl wrote:
No. That's beyond the current capabilities of omxplayer.
BTW, I consider that a very stupid system (separating video and audio into two different TCP streams).
I agree. But they did that most likely to save on server space. :roll:
gkreidl wrote:
We are not downloading anything with kweb(3). youtube-dl is only used to extract the video URL and omxplayer(GUI) plays directly from that URL without downloading anything.
That means the Ffmpeg idea won't work right? :geek: (Btw, I'm glad you made sure it doesn't download the streams. It keeps our SD cards clean from download maintenance. Good job.)

Well we can mostly just blame youtube for there poor lack of video TCP stream creation. Hopefully they don't nerf 720p TCP with both video and audio together and do that separate stream thing too.

Great video demo site for youtube on a raspberry pi: http://www.youtube.com/devinsupertramp or my site on the right of my post if you want check the grand canyon video I did.

SirPali

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:45 pm

I have created a products page showing a list of products that refreshes to show now products every 10 seconds.
Each product has an image associated with it, and to minimize the amount of visible image loading I preload these images using Javascript. The images are supplied with a caching header stating the images have a max age of 24 hours.
While running the browser in kiosk mode for a while on a Raspberry Pi 2, some product images refuse to show. Instead, a blank space is shown where the image should be shown.

I have set the following options string to start the browser:

kweb -KHCAWFJBRE {my url}
I've turned on page caching, the 100mb browser cache, and cookies. What might be causing my images to seemingly dissapear from the cache?
If I refresh the page the images show again, but other images might stop displaying after some time.

gkreidl

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:23 pm

SirPali wrote:I have created a products page showing a list of products that refreshes to show now products every 10 seconds.
Each product has an image associated with it, and to minimize the amount of visible image loading I preload these images using Javascript. The images are supplied with a caching header stating the images have a max age of 24 hours.
While running the browser in kiosk mode for a while on a Raspberry Pi 2, some product images refuse to show. Instead, a blank space is shown where the image should be shown.

I have set the following options string to start the browser:

kweb -KHCAWFJBRE {my url}
I've turned on page caching, the 100mb browser cache, and cookies. What might be causing my images to seemingly dissapear from the cache?
If I refresh the page the images show again, but other images might stop displaying after some time.
No idea, but try
1) use the default cache settings
2) Try using kweb3 instead of kweb.

tulblut

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:20 am

I use this browser almost daily on my Rpis, have you tought about a x86 version? I've an old x86 laptop (with debian wheezy) and every time I use it to browse the web I wish I could use kweb. :D

gkreidl

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:39 am

tulblut wrote:I use this browser almost daily on my Rpis, have you tought about a x86 version? I've an old x86 laptop (with debian wheezy) and every time I use it to browse the web I wish I could use kweb. :D
I've been asked the same by a number of friends. Porting the browser would be easy but the Python scripts (video part) would have to be rewritten to a large degree. Perhaps, some day ...

gkreidl

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:42 pm

A new omxplayer version published today avoids the small jumps when the video area is moved, resized, hidden and unhidden. This also fixes the problem of live TV streams which completely broke when you moved or resized the video area. This new version works perfectly with omxplayerGUI.

The new version is available from http://omxplayer.sconde.net

wget http://omxplayer.sconde.net/builds/omxplayer_0.3.6~git20150319~7c752d3_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i omxplayer_0.3.6~git20150319~7c752d3_armhf.deb
I'm currently working on a new version of omxplayerGUI. This will make moving and resizing of the video window much snappier. I'm also using the new transparency setting: if you click on one of the option menus (Aspect Ratio, Window size or mode), the video will become transparent for 2 seconds and the menus will remain visible even when they are popping up upwards into the video area. And last but not least I have given the position slider a much finer resolution (3 seconds instead of 30).

The new version will be published with kweb 1.6.4. If there's enough interest I may publish a preliminary update (just two files).

PuppetHoundZ

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Awesome, I can't wait for the OMX Player update! :geek:

I hope that my Raspberry Pi 2 comes out soon so that I can test out your browser performance with that too ;)

Return to “Raspbian”