davidb86

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Dear all,

I got the hint to try this config for my request and am in a good mood regarding this.
How does it perform for you when trying HTML5 Canvas Animations?

for example http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/48-excellent-html5-demos/ while using ./ktop ?
should it be smooth because the GPU is rendering it?

I plan to use it while running continousely HTML5 presentations (might also include streaming video and audio, if possible)

best regards,
David

gkreidl

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:55 pm

davidb86 wrote:Dear all,

I got the hint to try this config for my request and am in a good mood regarding this.
How does it perform for you when trying HTML5 Canvas Animations?

for example http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/48-excellent-html5-demos/ while using ./ktop ?
should it be smooth because the GPU is rendering it?

I plan to use it while running continousely HTML5 presentations (might also include streaming video and audio, if possible)

best regards,
David
There's no GPU rendering in kweb at all; CSS animation is done by the CPU alone, so don't expect too much.

In kweb3, there's GPU acceleration for (HTML5) video and also for JPEG decoding and image resizing, which is still buggy and therefore only enabled when you use the experimental (F) option. According to a user, CSS animation does not work with the current webkit3 engine (kweb3).

I hope we'll get an update of the webkit3 engine soon that will take care of the bugs. I've reported them to the development team.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gkreidl

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Version 1.6.2 soon to be published.

This update adds a two new options, a third kind of command link and fixes a small bug.

New options, available from the URL entry line:
&URI
where URI is the full URI to a CSS file (e.g. file:///home/pi/my.css), will set this CSS file as user style. This will not override styles settings of a web page (no style injection).
To disable it again, use & without any argument.

$TEXT
will replace the user-agent by TEXT. You can use this to simulate another browser (and even a different computer or OS), if a web page rejects you because you are using the "wrong browser", or to access the mobile version of a website. For example, the following entry
$Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Tablet; rv:34.0) Gecko/34.0 Firefox/34.0
will make kweb(3) look like the mobile version of Firefox.
To reset your browser to its default user-agent again, enter "$" without any argument.

New command link type
To make these settings (and also others like setting the spell checking language(s)) available as commands, kweb now supports a third kind of command link:
file:///homage.html?txt=SOMETEXT
as href argument of a link or as src argument of an iframe, will enter SOMETEXT into the URL entry line and execute it. For example, the following
file:///homage.html?txt=$Mozilla/5.0%20(Android;%20Tablet;%20rv:34.0)%20Gecko/34.0%20Firefox/34.0
will set the user-agent to mobile Android Firefox. All "%20" values are automatically converted to spaces.
As with all command links this will only work from local html files and requires the command execution (right most icon) to be enabled.

Bug fix:
"rtp://" URLs are now really enabled and will be sent to omxplayerGUI.

Finally the (very old) man page has been updated.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

gkreidl

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Version 1.6.2 is now available for download or automatic update (available from the menu page).

vectraboyv6

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:30 pm

do you have a how to guide linky please?

DirkS

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:59 pm

vectraboyv6 wrote:do you have a how to guide linky please?
Several links in top post: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=40860

johndavies

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:27 am

I've just added the three lines of instructions to load up the new-style desktop. Minimal Kiosk Browser 1.6.2 does not seem to work. Is there any fix?

johndavies

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:20 am

Why didn't I reinstall Minimal Kiosk Browser? That seems to have fixed the problem.

gkreidl

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:28 am

johndavies wrote:I've just added the three lines of instructions to load up the new-style desktop. Minimal Kiosk Browser 1.6.2 does not seem to work. Is there any fix?
What do you mean by "does not seem to work"? Please explain.

I've also updated both my Pis to the new desktop and haven't met any problems so far. (But usually I don't use the normal desktop).

gkreidl

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:37 am

johndavies wrote:Why didn't I reinstall Minimal Kiosk Browser? That seems to have fixed the problem.
There should be no reason for reinstalling it.

ali8

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks for the program.

I installed as described, have all the required programs installed and updated, but it does not work.

Specifically, I am using model b+, Rasbian. The browser opens, I go to youtube, on the main page I can see the videos, but when I click on any of them, I go to the video page, and the video is black. I click on the 'play' button in the toolbar, nothing happens. Yes, I have sudo privilege.

I even tried playing the /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_video/test.h264 video directly in the omxplayerGUI, nothing showed up.

Any idea?

gkreidl

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:44 pm

ali8 wrote:Thanks for the program.

I installed as described, have all the required programs installed and updated, but it does not work.

Specifically, I am using model b+, Rasbian. The browser opens, I go to youtube, on the main page I can see the videos, but when I click on any of them, I go to the video page, and the video is black. I click on the 'play' button in the toolbar, nothing happens. Yes, I have sudo privilege.

I even tried playing the /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_video/test.h264 video directly in the omxplayerGUI, nothing showed up.

Any idea?
(Flash) web video needs youtube-dl to extract the video URL How did you install it? The version from the Raspbian repository is very old and updating it with "youtube-dl -U" doesn't work (it may even destroy it).

You can run a test from a terminal. Copy the URL of a video web page (e. g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0xitdXIs8). In a terminal run
youtube-dl -g -e https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0xitdXIs8
(or any similar URL)
After a while (may need up to 18 seconds, depending on your youtube-dl installation and overclocking), it should return the title of the video and its URL (a rather lengthy thing)
On my system it needs about 6 seconds (Turbo overclocking and github version of youtube-dl)
If this works it should also work when you click the "Play" button in the browser.

You should also be able to open a video file directly from the browser (Open button), but not the file you mentioned; .h264 is an unknown mime type. Any mp4, avi, mkv etc. file should work.

Pilsener

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Why doesn't it have one simple setting for refreshing the home page after X minutes?
I want to use it to show a presentation from Google Slides, but I need to refresh the page every X minutes, in case the slideshow has been updated.

gkreidl

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:50 pm

Pilsener wrote:Why doesn't it have one simple setting for refreshing the home page after X minutes?
I want to use it to show a presentation from Google Slides, but I need to refresh the page every X minutes, in case the slideshow has been updated.
No browser has something like that (but could be added by add-ons, perhaps).

With kweb you can create something like that with a script using xdotool. The following will send a refresh command every 20 minutes;

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
while :
do
sleep 1200
xdotool key alt+r
done
(kweb must be the application running in front)

Pilsener

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:11 pm

NOOB question:
Where do I call this script from?
Cronjob or from within KWEB?

gkreidl

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:35 pm

Pilsener wrote:NOOB question:
Where do I call this script from?
Cronjob or from within KWEB?
It depends on your configuration. It's possible to run it from within kweb itself, as a src argument of an iframe in a start page file, that redirects to your real page afterwards. (You have to add it in the settings to avoid a terminal popping up.)

If you start the browser from a kiosk file (with xinit), you can put an "&" at the end of the kweb line and add the script content after it.

If I remember correctly you want to run a kiosk slide show and in this case it is the recommended method.

Pilsener

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:11 am

Can I insert the code in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart ?

gkreidl

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:26 am

Pilsener wrote:Can I insert the code in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart ?
Not the code, but you could save it as a script and add its path to autostart. But why do you want to start the desktop at all for a kiosk application? It will only cost resources while its functionality is never used.

Pilsener

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 pm

It's just that I prefer to work from GUI when setting up things.

gkreidl

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:21 pm

Pilsener wrote:It's just that I prefer to work from GUI when setting up things.
No problem. If you use the xinit method described in the kweb manual, you always can start the desktop by running "startx" from the command line.

Pilsener

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:35 pm

I tried to start kweb from console, but it gives me "Gtk-WARNING: Cannot open display".
What's missing?

gkreidl

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:54 pm

Pilsener wrote:I tried to start kweb from console, but it gives me "Gtk-WARNING: Cannot open display".
What's missing?
You need to start xinit with a kiosk script. You'll find the details in kweb manual page 27 ff.

Pilsener

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Just thinking......
Can I run a script like this as a cronjob every N minutes?:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xdotool key alt+r
And how do I autostart kweb at boot from /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart ?

Pilsener

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:36 pm

Can anyone tell me how to stop/quit kweb?
I can't even get a new terminal up and running.
It blocks everything.

gkreidl

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Pilsener wrote:Can anyone tell me how to stop/quit kweb?
I can't even get a new terminal up and running.
It blocks everything.
If you run it in Kiosk mode? ALT+q. You can also switch back to window mode with ALT+f (full screen toggle).

Return to “Raspbian”