HSternIsBatman

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Thank you so much for your help. Keep up the great work. :D

expandables

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:09 pm

I have a problem when i click on a youtube video on kiosk browser using omxplayer the video doesn't play. I only can play a video on html5 mode.
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

gkreidl

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:47 pm

expandables wrote:I have a problem when i click on a youtube video on kiosk browser using omxplayer the video doesn't play. I only can play a video on html5 mode.
Where do you click? Didn't you read the manual?

If you use kweb, web video cannot be played inside a browser window. If you use kweb3, it can be played, but only HTML5. Flash video can not be played this way-

But in both browsers there is an alternate method, which works both with HTML5 video and flash video on all websites supported by youtube-dl. Click the "Play" button on top and the video will be played with omxplayer(GUI). Depending on your youtube-dl installation and overclocking it can take between 8 and 18 seconds before the video starts playing.

Regarding youtube-dl installation see here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=88083
and here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 38&t=83763
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

expandables

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Is it possible to watch livestream.com video streams?

gkreidl

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:26 am

expandables wrote:Is it possible to watch livestream.com video streams?
Try it. Latest youtube-dl has it in its list:
youtube-dl --list-extractors
output includes:
livestream
livestream:original
livestream:shortener
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

expandables

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:39 pm

It doesn't work for Live stream original only the new livestream :cry:

gkreidl

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:46 pm

expandables wrote:It doesn't work for Live stream original only the new livestream :cry:
Test it with youtube-dl directly first (from the command line)
youtube-dl URL
If it doesn't work, create an issue at
https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues

The developers are really helpful. I've reported a problem with a certain website some time ago and they fixed it within a day or two.

Updating youtube-dl every other day is also a good idea. They're always in a race with the website creators.

gkreidl

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:38 am

Version 1.5.7 is available for download.

If you have any 1.5.x version installed, you can use the update function on the menu page to install it.

I've changed the installation method again. Version 1.5.6 was the first one installed as a .deb package, using dpkg. But dpkg cannot install dependencies by itself, as apt-get does. apt-get can not be used, as it cannot install from files. So I'm using gdebi now, which combines the advantages of both programs: it installs from a .deb package file and automatically also installs all dependencies. The only disadvantage is, that it is not part of the standard Raspbian image and has to be installed first. The debinstall script takes care of this automatically: if gdebi is not found, gdebi-core is installed via apt-get (only the command line version, not the GUI).

The most important change in kweb is the way kiosk mode is being handled. Until now, in kiosk mode the user interface (toolbar and URL entry field) wasn't even created; now it's always created, but simply hidden in kiosk mode. This has a lot of advantages:

1) With a simple keyboard command (ALT+k) the user interface can now be hidden or shown again (toggle function). Combined with the ALT-f (full screen toggle) command any user can now enter kiosk mode (hide the user interface) at any time and return to the normal mode again, if he needs it.

2) kweb can now be remotely controlled completely using xdotool and that includes sending it to a new web page. I know that quite a number of people are using kweb for presentations and now this will be much easier. I'll soon publish an introduction and script examples on kweb's news page. You must use matchbox-window-manager for such applications as xdotool's type command doesn't work with OpenBox correctly (freezing!).

3) The code has become even more compact. I've always tried to keep kweb(3) as slim as possible to make the best use of the Raspberry Pi's limited resources without any compromises regarding modern web features (HTML5 and more). And now it has become even simpler and smaller as before.

Other changes and bug fixes:
omxplayerGUI now checks for existence of a file ~/.omxplayergui.run when it finishes and deletes this file, if it is found. This offers any easy sychronization method for presentation developers to check if a video has finished playing.
x11-xserver-utils has been added to the dependencies, because the xrefresh command is needed when using omxplayer inside X.
The bug in the preparekweb script has been fixed.
In the source distribution package some bugs in the Makefile have also been fixed.

Ivan Tham

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:50 am

Does minimal kiosk browser uses xdg-open?

gkreidl

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:44 am

Ivan Tham wrote:Does minimal kiosk browser uses xdg-open?
No. It handles only mimetypes which are either processed by webkit, pdf (processed by kwebhelper and one of the 3 supported pdf applications) and all audio/video mimetypes (processed by omxplayergui). Everything else is silently ignored and can only be explicitly downloaded (right click menu).

However, if you use uget for downloads, you can open anything directly from the download list (xdg-open is supported by uget).

expandables

Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:12 am

I updated youtube-dl and the original live strange doesn't work and some of the videos on new.livestram doesn't work.

gkreidl

Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:51 am

expandables wrote:I updated youtube-dl and the original live strange doesn't work and some of the videos on new.livestram doesn't work.
This (flash video) always depends on youtube-dl. To check, if video on a certain web page (not HTML5, this is handled differently) is supported, run the following from a terminal:
youtube-dl -g URL
where URL ist the url to the web page containing the video (copied from the browser's entry lone).

If it does not return an URL, the video cannot be accessed, If the website is claimed to be supported by youtube-dl and does not work, create an issue at:
https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues

expandables

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi, I am guessing it doesn't play live streams

gkreidl

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:12 pm

New major release 1.6 available

Both manuals have been revised to include all changes since version 1.5. The kweb manual includes a lot more configuration and application examples now.

If you've already installed a version 1.5.x, you can use the built-in update function. New users (or users of older versions) find all installation instructions in the first post of this thread.

Changes in kweb and kweb3
Added "Stop" (loading) button, keyboard shortcut ALT+s (redefined)
Icons rearranged, separator added between command and toggle buttons
Replaced "/" for page search with "=" (which includes a modification of keyboard shortcuts)
Better URL expansion in the URL entry field and from the command line:
Each URL that does not include "://" will be expanded. If it starts with a slash (full path), it will be extended by putting "file://" in front, otherwise "http://" will be used.
Better cooperation with lxappearance:
If option "S" (small icons) is not used, the icon size of kweb will depend on the settings in lxappearance.
In kweb3 this doesn't work, because lxappearance settings are not working correctly with GTK+3 applications since the latest dist-upgrade. Therefore double icon size will be used, if the "S" options is not set.
New function to save current web page including images, css etc. using wget with special options. Only available from the keyboard with ALT+c (redefined!)
When opening files whose names contain a question mark, it's replaced with %3F (wget creates such filenames when downloading web pages). Otherwise they would not be loaded.
User definable keyboard commands ALT+0 ... 9 are now enabled, if the folder "~/kwebcontrol" exists. The new manual contains two complete examples of the necessary HTML files (for starting a program or opening a web page).
In kweb3 auto start of media files has been blocked (not possible in webkit1)

Changes in omxplayerGUI
Support for new dbus function "Aspect" has been added. If you use a very recent omxplayer version, the "auto" mode of the "Mode:" menu will show a video with the correct aspect ratio, even if you started with another mode set.

New utilities
Two new utility scripts to install and update a faster running version of youtube-dl from github have been added:
ginstall-ytdl
will remove older versions of youtube-dl, install git (if not installed already) and clone the current version from github.
update-ytdl
updates the github version and restores fast mode again, if it has been lost due to changes on github.

TXSiPi

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:22 am

How can I launch kweb in kiosk/full screen mode from command line?

gkreidl

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 am

Version 1.6.1 released

This is a bugfix update. There was a problem with keyboard shortcuts in creating the configuration file, which has been fixed now.

Use the update function from the menu or control panel page to get the newest version.

gkreidl

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:14 am

TXSiPi wrote:How can I launch kweb in kiosk/full screen mode from command line?
kweb manual, page 27 & 28

trcharlie

Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:23 am

Hey!

I just installed kweb and tried to display a trello.com board with it. Unfortunately trello redirects kweb to this page: https://trello.com/not-supported.html?u ... &version=0, stating that the browser is not allowed.

Is there any chance to change the user agent or any other possible solution?

regards, charlie

gkreidl

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:43 pm

trcharlie wrote:Hey!

I just installed kweb and tried to display a trello.com board with it. Unfortunately trello redirects kweb to this page: https://trello.com/not-supported.html?u ... &version=0, stating that the browser is not allowed.

regards, charlie
The user agent depends on the webkit library being used and cannot be changed at the moment.

Try kweb3 as it has "Safari ... Version/6.0" in its user agent string.

cenorexia

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi!

I just installed the latest version of kweb and I'd like to see all the available command line flags.
"man kweb" gives me the info "command line flags are described in the README file", but where do I find said file?

Thanks in advance,
ceno

gkreidl

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:51 pm

cenorexia wrote:Hi!

I just installed the latest version of kweb and I'd like to see all the available command line flags.
"man kweb" gives me the info "command line flags are described in the README file", but where do I find said file?

Thanks in advance,
ceno
There is no Readme file any more, but a PDF manual (two in fact). You can access everything from the menu page (ALT+m or :m from the entry line):
configuration: all browser flags and start and home page
settings: configurating the helper programs
both manuals and more.

cenorexia

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks for your reply!

I downloaded the source code in the meantime and looked through the main-function to find the possible command line flags and found what I needed.

Maybe the reference to the README should be removed/changed in upcoming versions ;)
(I'm new to the raspberry and linux in general so I'm currently "man"ing everything to learn about possible options)

Cheers,
ceno

gkreidl

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:04 am

You're right, of course. The man page has never been updated since version 1.0 and a lot of things have changed meanwhile. I'll update it with the next release.

There's a much simpler option than studying the source code:
Use the configuration page to set all options you need and save it. Then open ~/.kweb.conf. It has all options in the first line and the (optional) URL in the second line.

There's one exception, though. The "C" flag (enable command execution) has to be added manually to your command line (script) string.

trcharlie

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:32 pm

I don't know why, but if I start kweb3 or kweb through a script, there is no problem with trello.
Thanks for the hint anyway.

Is there a possibility to inject userscripts e.g. from userstyles.org?
gkreidl wrote:
trcharlie wrote:Hey!

regards, charlie
The user agent depends on the webkit library being used and cannot be changed at the moment.

Try kweb3 as it has "Safari ... Version/6.0" in its user agent string.

gkreidl

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:47 pm

trcharlie wrote:I don't know why, but if I start kweb3 or kweb through a script, there is no problem with trello.
Thanks for the hint anyway.

Is there a possibility to inject userscripts e.g. from userstyles.org?
Maybe in the future ...

Return to “Raspbian”