gkreidl

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:07 am

kolsi wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:19 pm

Bad, but fortunately only a minor issue.
The bigger problem I just noticed is that kweb eats complete RAM after several hours when only one page is being displayed all day long :(
Check the source of the web page. It may accumulate memory. We have seen this in the past.

Try disabling caching completely.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kolsi

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:52 am

It also came to my mind. It is a single webpage with few AJAX snippets that are periodically refreshed in the background. But I'm trying Chromium and memory usage is being stable for many hours.

ALphacube

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:41 pm

Hey @gkriedl, how can I install kweb, and thereby omxplayergui, (and thereby smooth video playback on Firefox :D) on Arch Linux ARM?
I'm on a RPi3.
There is an AUR package for kweb, but it takes forever to compile webkitgtk on and straight-up throws up some random errors after a while.
Can you help me? I couldn't find anything for Arch.
Or is the AUR package unrelated to you, made by someone else completely.
Thanks in advance!

ALphacube

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:44 pm

ALphacube wrote:
Hey @gkriedl, how can I install kweb, and thereby omxplayergui, (and thereby smooth video playback on Firefox :D) on Arch Linux ARM?
I'm on a RPi3.
There is an AUR package for kweb, but it takes forever to compile webkitgtk on and straight-up throws up some random errors after a while.
Thanks in advance!
Yes, I know this is Raspbian land, and I'm technically very off-topic here, but it seemed the best way to get advice, and as a bonus from the developer themselves.

gkreidl

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 pm

ALphacube wrote:
ALphacube wrote:
I'm on a RPi3.
Thanks in advance!
Yes, I know this is Raspbian land, and I'm technically very off-topic here, but it seemed the best way to get advice, and as a bonus from the developer themselves.
Someone took an older kweb suite version and created an Arch Linux version. I'm not responsible for it.

As a develper I hate rolling releases. Programming for them is like walking on a swamp.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

ALphacube

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:34 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 pm
ALphacube wrote:
ALphacube wrote:
I'm on a RPi3.
Thanks in advance!
Someone took an older kweb suite version and created an Arch Linux version. I'm not responsible for it.

As a develper I hate rolling releases. Programming for them is like walking on a swamp.
Yeah, I know what you mean. As a user, it's slightly 'swampy' too, too many frequent upgrades, and keeping a stable setup gets very difficult. I'm only using Arch on the Pi due to the latest Firefox on there, which performs much better than the FSR version in the Raspbian repos. I'm a diehard Firefox fan, hence the measures taken for it. No worries, I'll poke around more and figure out a way to do it. Thanks anyway!

Shambler0

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Greetings. I am running latest version of kweb and omxplayerGUI on Raspberry Pi 1 model B (yes, it's old but it works fine otherwise).

After a while of using this to watch youtube intensely enough I invariably get a RECAPTCHAv2 challange ("click on all fire hydrants").

RECAPTCHA does not work on kweb or midori or dillo, and chromium times out on RPi after more than 10 minutes of trying to load the webpage.
Without JS enabled it does not load at all, with it the images are not clickable. Audio challenge does not work either - nothing happens.
I have a "normal" x86 PC but was unable to proxy the RECAPTCHA there in a way that would actually work.

Is there anything I can do other than discarding RPi and buying RPi4 or android device? Thanks.

I'm probably not the first to run into this, how do other people solve such problems?

gkreidl

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 am

Shambler0 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 pm
Greetings. I am running latest version of kweb and omxplayerGUI on Raspberry Pi 1 model B (yes, it's old but it works fine otherwise).

After a while of using this to watch youtube intensely enough I invariably get a RECAPTCHAv2 challange ("click on all fire hydrants").

RECAPTCHA does not work on kweb or midori or dillo, and chromium times out on RPi after more than 10 minutes of trying to load the webpage.
Without JS enabled it does not load at all, with it the images are not clickable. Audio challenge does not work either - nothing happens.
I have a "normal" x86 PC but was unable to proxy the RECAPTCHA there in a way that would actually work.

Is there anything I can do other than discarding RPi and buying RPi4 or android device? Thanks.

I'm probably not the first to run into this, how do other people solve such problems?
I suppose this is caused by new design elements at youtube which may be incompatible with the old webkit1 engine.

Unfortunately the newer webkit2 engine is missing some important API calls which are important for kweb. Maybe I'll try to find workarounds in the future and then upgrade to webkit2.

sveicken

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 pm

Hello,

I am impressed about kweb and the omxplayer. Works very well.

But on youtube.com I dont see anything. I only see empty frames, no pictures, no clickable links ...
But javascript is enabled. Everything is enabled (Full Power Browser - Config).
Another example: On the raspberrypi.org-forum-side I get some menus on the wrong place.

What am I doing wrong? I tried different configurations ...
Maybe I just miss an easy thing? I read parts of the manual but I didn't find something.

Thank you very much for the help,

Kind Regards, Sven

gkreidl

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 am

sveicken wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 pm
Hello,

I am impressed about kweb and the omxplayer. Works very well.

But on youtube.com I dont see anything. I only see empty frames, no pictures, no clickable links ...
But javascript is enabled. Everything is enabled (Full Power Browser - Config).
Another example: On the raspberrypi.org-forum-side I get some menus on the wrong place.

What am I doing wrong? I tried different configurations ...
Maybe I just miss an easy thing? I read parts of the manual but I didn't find something.

Thank you very much for the help,

Kind Regards, Sven
The youtube problem is quite new. The basic problem is, that the webkit(1) engine is getting too old and does not support some modern stuff (mostly CSS3 styling etc.). At the moment I cannot do anything about it.

Switching to webkit2 is unfortunately not easy as some of the API tools on which kweb depends have changed a lot or are completely missing. I'm currently working on another project, but will have deeper look into it in the future.

sveicken

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Thank you very much, that explains why I did not find "the missing button". So I will wait, until you (or someone else) can solve the problem. Till then, I will have to find my own workaround. For example the bookmark-solution for chromium browser.

Thank you very much, the Kweb Suite is really cool!

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”