gkreidl

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:46 am

makem wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:49 pm
Can ask if subtitles should work with the Pi 4?
At the moment not. They had to be disabled for the RPi 4 because of the new video drivers. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future, but "popcormix" is too busy with other things at the moment.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

own3mall

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Is there a way to clear Kweb cache manually? Or an easy way to clear all cache in the GUI?

Also, is there a way to enable developer tools or some kind of console to see why JavaScript code isn't working or erroring out? I'm developing a web app that I'd like to work on a Pi, and Kweb seems to be the only browser than can run at a reasonable speed on my horribly slow Raspberry Pi B+ (super old paperweight). My JavaScript code has an error when running in Kweb but it doesn't on any other modern browser I try (IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc), so I'd love to figure out why and see if I can work around it.

Does Kweb support localStorage and sessionStorage?

own3mall

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:09 pm

What about <audio> elements and JavaScript controlling these elements? I can't seem to get it to work in Kweb. If I could figure out what's going on (with some sort of developer console view), I could be more descriptive. Anyways, this is a cool lightweight browser. Here's to hoping I can get it to work.

gkreidl

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:44 pm

For debugging I use a simple Python webkit browser, which offers an inspector window.
You'll find it here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... g#p1463481
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

own3mall

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks, I got the debugger working, but it's not throwing an error in an instance where Kweb does, so for the JavaScript error I'm running into, I still can't get any information as to why it's happening in Kweb.

Also, no matter what webkit based browser I try, the following audio example does NOT work (full page source contains everything you need in one page).

http://dinofly.com/audio_test.html

Is there any way to get this working? I cannot get any audio html tag to work (manipulated via JavaScript or just clicked on through the browser) in a webkit based slim browser.

I posted about this issue in Quartz browser as well: https://github.com/ksharindam/quartz-br ... /issues/10

Not sure if anything can be done... which would be sad... I really need this functionality in a slim browser because on a Pi B+ (the original), no browser works well at all :(

gkreidl

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:16 pm

own3mall wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:24 pm
Thanks, I got the debugger working, but it's not throwing an error in an instance where Kweb does, so for the JavaScript error I'm running into, I still can't get any information as to why it's happening in Kweb.

Also, no matter what webkit based browser I try, the following audio example does NOT work (full page source contains everything you need in one page).

http://dinofly.com/audio_test.html

Is there any way to get this working? I cannot get any audio html tag to work (manipulated via JavaScript or just clicked on through the browser) in a webkit based slim browser.

I posted about this issue in Quartz browser as well: https://github.com/ksharindam/quartz-br ... /issues/10

Not sure if anything can be done... which would be sad... I really need this functionality in a slim browser because on a Pi B+ (the original), no browser works well at all :(
For me it does work
Check, if GStreamer1.0 libav Plugins are installed (and oerhaps also the Good Plugins).

own3mall

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:37 pm

I checked, and gstreamer1.0-libav is already installed and up-to-date.

I tried playing with the audio settings, but no matter what I try, the audio doesn't play for me in that example I posted.

I used the "analogaudio" preset in the settings page (using analog not HDMI for sound), changed omxaudiooptions to:

-o
both

I even tried changing the "omxplayer_in_terminal_for_audio" setting to false.

These changes didn't make a difference. I'm running Raspbian 10 Buster on a Pi B+.

I also tried setting useVLC to true, and that didn't work either. I know analog sound works because mp3 files can be played in vlc manually from my system.

Plugins, Javascript, Cookies, DL-Manager, Omxplayer, and Commands are all enabled. Is there a way to see a list of plugins that are enabled? I'm not seeing anything that lists which plugins are enabled or disabled? I just have the option to enable or disable plugins it would seem. I followed both Buster steps to install kweb suite in the first post.

gkreidl

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:44 pm

own3mall wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:37 pm
I checked, and gstreamer1.0-libav is already installed and up-to-date.

I tried playing with the audio settings, but no matter what I try, the audio doesn't play for me in that example I posted.

I used the "analogaudio" preset in the settings page (using analog not HDMI for sound), changed omxaudiooptions to:

-o
both

I even tried changing the "omxplayer_in_terminal_for_audio" setting to false.

These changes didn't make a difference. I'm running Raspbian 10 Buster on a Pi B+.

I also tried setting useVLC to true, and that didn't work either. I know analog sound works because mp3 files can be played in vlc manually from my system.

Plugins, Javascript, Cookies, DL-Manager, Omxplayer, and Commands are all enabled. Is there a way to see a list of plugins that are enabled? I'm not seeing anything that lists which plugins are enabled or disabled? I just have the option to enable or disable plugins it would seem. I followed both Buster steps to install kweb suite in the first post.
Audio is directly managed by the webkitgtk3 engine. It does not depend on any plugins and also not on omxplayer. There's nothing in the settings page which might help.
Regarding plugins: In the past a flash wrapper plugin could be used to give flash support, but this is not compatible any more with GTK-3.0.
If you install mozplugger, plugins can be used for PDF inside the browser with matching PDF readers.

own3mall

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:38 am

Ok, thanks. Do you know of anything else I can try in regards to my sound issue? I really don't know what else to try to get this problem fixed.

gkreidl

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:03 am

own3mall wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:38 am
Ok, thanks. Do you know of anything else I can try in regards to my sound issue? I really don't know what else to try to get this problem fixed.
The only difference which I can see is that I'm always using HDMI audio. I haven't used the analog audio output since 2013.

own3mall

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I have no idea why, but installing pulseaudio fixed my issue in raspbian buster.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
I had to reboot my machine after installing pulseaudio (because it didn't work until I did so):

sudo shutdown -r now
Once I did that, this command worked:

gst-launch-1.0 audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! pulsesink
This command always worked, but now it sounds not so great after pulseaudio has been installed:

gst-launch-1.0 audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! alsasink
However, that doesn't matter, as the sound is crystal clear in the browser (I guess webkit uses pulseaudio).

Super weird!

gkreidl

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:17 am

own3mall wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:46 pm
I have no idea why, but installing pulseaudio fixed my issue in raspbian buster.

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
I had to reboot my machine after installing pulseaudio (because it didn't work until I did so):

sudo shutdown -r now
Once I did that, this command worked:

gst-launch-1.0 audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! pulsesink
This command always worked, but now it sounds not so great after pulseaudio has been installed:

gst-launch-1.0 audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! alsasink
However, that doesn't matter, as the sound is crystal clear in the browser (I guess webkit uses pulseaudio).

Super weird!
bI don't have pulseaudio installed. webkitgtk does not depend on pulseaudio.

dingetje

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:12 am

I have Kweb setup in Kiosk mode on a raspberry pi zero and it's running great (much lower CPU load than Chromium), but this morning a WiFi? glitch caused the (single) web page not to load, resulting in a 404 error.

How can I tell Kweb to do a retry or maybe even force a reboot of the whole pi if this happens?

gkreidl

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:47 pm

dingetje wrote:
I have Kweb setup in Kiosk mode on a raspberry pi zero and it's running great (much lower CPU load than Chromium), but this morning a WiFi? glitch caused the (single) web page not to load, resulting in a 404 error.

How can I tell Kweb to do a retry or maybe even force a reboot of the whole pi if this happens?
I would create a small Python script running in the background and which checks Internet connection. If the connection is lost, it could periodically send a reload command (ALT r) to kweb using xdotool or reboot the system.

dingetje

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:18 am

gkreidl wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:47 pm
dingetje wrote:

I would create a small Python script running in the background and which checks Internet connection. If the connection is lost, it could periodically send a reload command (ALT r) to kweb using xdotool or reboot the system.
That's what I ended up doing, but I've used a bash script, no need for Python. I'm not sure if xdotool works with my windows manager, so I decided for the brute force way out a.k.a. a reboot.

wifi_restart.sh

#!/bin/bash

# The IP or hostname of the server you wish to ping
SERVER=10.0.0.1

# Only send two pings, sending output to /dev/null
ping -c2 ${SERVER} > /dev/null

# If the return code from ping ($?) is not 0 (meaning there was an error)
if [ $? != 0 ]
then
    # Restart the wireless interface
#    sudo ip link set wlan0 down
#    sudo ip link set wlan0 up
     # reboot the whole damn thing, because kweb may show 404 error
     # and I don't know how to reload the page from the commandline
     sudo reboot
fi
crontab entry

# check WiFi connectivity, reboot if fails
*   *  *   *   *     /usr/local/bin/wifi_restart.sh
While kweb is a great browser, the documentation for Kiosk mode and the command line leaves much to be desired. Instead of using yet another tool, it should not be too hard to add support for a signal (i.e. SIGHUP) to force a reload.

Where is the project site for kweb? If any... I've failed to find it.

brandondb

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi All,

I've been using KWeb in kiosk mode to show a dashboard generated by HADashboard (part of AppDaemon) in Homeassistant. I recently upgraded AppDaemon, and now the page won't load properly in KWeb. Other browsers (on the Pi and on my laptop) had to be hard refreshed to show the page properly after the upgrade, I assume to refresh some Java code, however try as I might I cannot get KWeb to show the page properly. It partially loads, but none of the icons or links are present, only the underlying table structures. If I disable Java in KWeb altogether the page becomes completely blank, which is why I'm guessing it's a Java issue.

I have installed a new version of Java on the Pi, tried to clear/erase any cache I could find (even though caching was disabled in KWeb) and I'm stumped. For reference it works properly in Midori, Epiphany, Chromium, and Firefox-ESR on the Pi.

My questions are, is there some place that KWeb stores Java code that needs to be cleared? Is there a way to do this from within the Kweb broswer? and finally, if no to these, does KWeb use a different version of Java than what is installed on the system, and if so how would I upgrade it?

Thanks in advance for any help...

gkreidl

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:14 am

brandondb wrote:
Hi All,

I've been using KWeb in kiosk mode to show a dashboard generated by HADashboard (part of AppDaemon) in Homeassistant. I recently upgraded AppDaemon, and now the page won't load properly in KWeb. Other browsers (on the Pi and on my laptop) had to be hard refreshed to show the page properly after the upgrade, I assume to refresh some Java code, however try as I might I cannot get KWeb to show the page properly. It partially loads, but none of the icons or links are present, only the underlying table structures. If I disable Java in KWeb altogether the page becomes completely blank, which is why I'm guessing it's a Java issue.

I have installed a new version of Java on the Pi, tried to clear/erase any cache I could find (even though caching was disabled in KWeb) and I'm stumped. For reference it works properly in Midori, Epiphany, Chromium, and Firefox-ESR on the Pi.

My questions are, is there some place that KWeb stores Java code that needs to be cleared? Is there a way to do this from within the Kweb broswer? and finally, if no to these, does KWeb use a different version of Java than what is installed on the system, and if so how would I upgrade it?

I think you mean javascript, not java. The webkit engine used by kweb is quite old. Migrating to the more modern webkit2 engine is unfortunately very complex as some of the API functions kweb depends on are missing or work completey different.

brandondb

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:11 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:14 am
brandondb wrote:
Hi All,

I think you mean javascript, not java. The webkit engine used by kweb is quite old. Migrating to the more modern webkit2 engine is unfortunately very complex as some of the API functions kweb depends on are missing or work completey different.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I meant Javascript. Thanks for the explanation - KWeb worked really well against the older version, so it's too bad to have to go away from it, but at least I won't be banging my head against the wall trying to make it work. Thanks again for the response and for your work on KWeb!

Oissela

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi everybody,

I have Raspberry pi3B+ and pi4B and i want to show on the browser fullscreen a webpage with a slideshow made whit revolution slider (wordpress plugin)....that it might contain streaming video player, HTML5, CSS3 and webGL based content (like digital signage).

I've already tried with Chromium in kiosk mode, and that's all right except the browser performance :cry: :cry:
With "developer tools", i've seen that the browser reach a maximum of 15-25 FPS, with a slow and laggy results. On every PC that i have i see this sliders very smooth and fluid, at average of 50-60FPS!!

I've set Fake KMS, addedd 256MB to GPU memory, and set HW accelleration in chrome flags...but nothing :x

At this links you can see some example of what I'm saying:
- https://mmb-lottie-performance.stackblitz.io/
- https://revolution.themepunch.com/resta ... wordpress/
- https://revolution.themepunch.com/big-s ... op-slider/

I am desperate....any help is welcome, you could avoid my madness. :lol:
Thanks in advance

kolsi

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:31 am

Is it possible to change kweb background color (not the webpage but the window before the webpage loads)?
It is always white and does not reflect dark custom theme or GTK+3 CSS settings.

gkreidl

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:22 am

kolsi wrote:
Is it possible to change kweb background color (not the webpage but the window before the webpage loads)?
It is always white and does not reflect dark custom theme or GTK+3 CSS settings.
No,
unfortunately not.

sjespers

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:54 am

@ gkreidl Guten morgen! Is it possible to launch KWeb full screen spanning 2 displays (in my case 3840x1920)? Can't seem to find that in the manual.

gkreidl

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:22 am

sjespers wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:54 am
@ gkreidl Guten morgen! Is it possible to launch KWeb full screen spanning 2 displays (in my case 3840x1920)? Can't seem to find that in the manual.
No idea. I never thought that this might be possible one day.

sjespers

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Wasn't there a way to add custom screen resolutions? Preferably without having to do a re-build?

kolsi

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:19 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:22 am
kolsi wrote:
No,
unfortunately not.
Bad, but fortunately only a minor issue.
The bigger problem I just noticed is that kweb eats complete RAM after several hours when only one page is being displayed all day long :(

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”