dartanyan

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Fri May 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi.

I am using UltraSlim.

I have tested wget button, but nothing happens when a download is supposed to start. I have expected some terminal window appearing with wget running, but like I say, nothing happens.

Regards.

gkreidl

Fri May 09, 2014 2:39 pm

A download can only be started from a right mouse click. Left click on a file link, that is not supported otherwise (audio, video, pdf) will not do anything.
BTW, I just discovered a severe bug, when downloading large files (> 100 MB) with the built-in download method (webkit download). If I don't find a way to prevent this from happening, I'll disable it in kweb in the next version and will use only external download methods.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

BennyTheBall

Fri May 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Is there an easy way I can control this browser remotely? I need to be able to push a new URL to the browser from another machine either via a shared file or a socket or any other method that would be easy to implement. It would seem not to hard to add a socket server that would accept and of the current command through the socket. Thought I'd check to see if there was a way to accomplish what I need to do already before I re-invent the wheel.

pontypool

Sat May 10, 2014 12:15 pm

seems to have an issue.. when in full screen mode (no interface visible) you cannot pause or skip, without the video aborting? and you have to replay, obviously you can't skip back to the same point in the video then.
As i say, it's not much of a major issue for me, if i can figure out how it's possible to run with/without the script at will, so in circumstances where i need a full screen video, i can not use it, but in other circumstances where i want to watch a video and also keep an eye on ebay for example, then i can choose to use the script and benefit from the video in window. is that kind of thing possible? obviously i can just use a terminal to run the movie direct from omx player, but then you lose the convenience of right clicking and opening with minimal kiosk. Perhaps it's possible to right click and open with omx player? i'm a beginner here and have learned a lot in the couple of weeks so excuse me if it sounds dumb ; P

gkreidl

Sat May 10, 2014 1:27 pm

pontypool wrote:seems to have an issue.. when in full screen mode (no interface visible) you cannot pause or skip, without the video aborting? and you have to replay, obviously you can't skip back to the same point in the video then.
As i say, it's not much of a major issue for me, if i can figure out how it's possible to run with/without the script at will, so in circumstances where i need a full screen video, i can not use it, but in other circumstances where i want to watch a video and also keep an eye on ebay for example, then i can choose to use the script and benefit from the video in window. is that kind of thing possible? obviously i can just use a terminal to run the movie direct from omx player, but then you lose the convenience of right clicking and opening with minimal kiosk. Perhaps it's possible to right click and open with omx player? i'm a beginner here and have learned a lot in the couple of weeks so excuse me if it sounds dumb ; P
In full screen mode you have complete control via keyboard. Check the manual for details (also how to open a video file with double or right click).
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

pontypool

Sat May 10, 2014 1:54 pm

By full screen mode I mean no interface on the bottom. I know the keyboard controls are Space=pause - or + volume up and down, <> skip left and right, but in full screen mode this causes the video to spasm and then freeze/pause, pressing space to resume results in the video starting from the beginning, this only occurs in full screen mode, when the video still has the controls on the bottom of the screen it doesn't occur.
I have been experimenting and it so far does this only with mkv , but not mp4 (for me anyway)

gkreidl

Sat May 10, 2014 3:38 pm

pontypool wrote:By full screen mode I mean no interface on the bottom. I know the keyboard controls are Space=pause - or + volume up and down, <> skip left and right, but in full screen mode this causes the video to spasm and then freeze/pause, pressing space to resume results in the video starting from the beginning, this only occurs in full screen mode, when the video still has the controls on the bottom of the screen it doesn't occur.
I have been experimenting and it so far does this only with mkv , but not mp4 (for me anyway)
the "<>" keys never really worked for me, but that's an omxplayer problem. Otherwise my videos are mostly mkv format and I run them usually in full screen mode without any problem and full keyboard control (for large jumps you have to use PgUp and PgDown keys, not the up an down arrows, which are used for playlist control).

pontypool

Sat May 10, 2014 3:44 pm

gkreidl wrote:
pontypool wrote:By full screen mode I mean no interface on the bottom. I know the keyboard controls are Space=pause - or + volume up and down, <> skip left and right, but in full screen mode this causes the video to spasm and then freeze/pause, pressing space to resume results in the video starting from the beginning, this only occurs in full screen mode, when the video still has the controls on the bottom of the screen it doesn't occur.
the "<>" keys never really worked for me, but that's an omxplayer problem. Otherwise my videos are mostly mkv format and I run them usually in full screen mode without any problem and full keyboard control (for large jumps you have to use PgUp and PgDown keys, not the up an down arrows, which are used for playlist control).
mine are 720 x264 mkv files, is that the same as yours? by full screen you mean no controls visible at all right? anyway, as i said it's not much of a problem, because windowed mode works perfectly, but how can i run in full screen without minimal kiosk (without having to uninstall the script)

gkreidl

Sun May 11, 2014 6:52 am

pontypool wrote:eyboard control (for large jumps you have to use PgUp and PgDown keys, not the up an down arrows, which are used for playlist control).
mine are 720 x264 mkv files, is that the same as yours? by full screen you mean no controls visible at all right? anyway, as i said it's not much of a problem, because windowed mode works perfectly, but how can i run in full screen without minimal kiosk (without having to uninstall the script)[/quote]

I've got files of every kind and size up to 1080p. At the end of the small PDF that comes with the script you'll find a description how to use the player standalone (simply double clicking any kind of media file).

pontypool

Tue May 20, 2014 12:41 am

ok this problem occurs in some videos but not all. seems to be720 x264 mkv which is my personal favourite format, about a third of these videos definitely bug out if you pause skip frames etc while in fullscreen. is definitely a bug. my omx player is up to date and works perfectly on it's own, this glitch only occurs with the script to play videos in a window. how can i uninstall the script? not being familiar with linux i dont know where the "add remove programs" equiveant is

gkreidl

Tue May 20, 2014 5:19 am

pontypool wrote:ok this problem occurs in some videos but not all. seems to be720 x264 mkv which is my personal favourite format, about a third of these videos definitely bug out if you pause skip frames etc while in fullscreen. is definitely a bug. my omx player is up to date and works perfectly on it's own, this glitch only occurs with the script to play videos in a window. how can i uninstall the script? not being familiar with linux i dont know where the "add remove programs" equiveant is
Once the movie is running it's nothing but omxplayer itself. kwebhelper.py script has no control over the video itself, it just sends messages to omxplayer (like pause or stop), especially in full screen mode. In windowed mode it may send messages to omxplayer to resize or move the window area and that leads to small jumps (a second or two) in the video, but this is also a current omxplayer problem and being discussed at github.

If you only installed the script(s), not Minimal Kiosk Browser, you have to remove it manually:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/kwebhelper.py
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/kwebhelper_settings.py
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/dbuscontrolm.sh
Minimal Kiosk Browser has it's own remove (uninstall) script.

gkreidl

Tue May 20, 2014 9:01 am

I'm just about to start beta testing of Minimal Kiosk Browser 1.5. New features:

The most important addition is full support for omxplayer GUI, which can play any kind of media in a window with control elements. An experimental version has been published already some time ago as kwebhelper.py 1.4.6 script.

kwebhelper.py has been split into two files now to make it simpler and faster:
kwebhelper.py (PDF, download and command interface)
omxplayergui.py (media and web video)

Omxplayer GUI can also be used completely standalone now. If it is called without arguments, a simple frontend will be displayed, where you can open files, set URLs for web streams or files and also for youtube and other web video (extract function). It can be installed as a desktop application (and will be available separately also).

The changes to the Browser itself are small:

The download options have changed: you can now switch between downloading with wget and the download manager uget (a GUI application). The internal download method has been disabled completely, as it could block the RPI for a long time (large files) and even crash it (not enough memory). The only solution would have been to write an asynchronous download function running in a separate thread, but following my kweb philosophy (don't invent the wheel again and use existing solutions), I decided to support uget instead. So now the user can choose, if he wants to use wget (running in a terminal or in the background) or uget for downloads.

Full keyboard control is now enabled by default. Only if you start kweb with an options string you have to decide, which keyboard commands are allowed (for embedded applications).

New or modified keyboard commands:
ALT+i: Clear URL entry field and activate it for a new entry (put cursor into it).
ALT+u: enable download manager (ALT+w: to disable it).

There are also some small improvements to the command interface and a few changes in kwebhelper_settings.py (which is used by kwebhelper.py and omxplayergui.py as well).

And last but not least, Minimal Kiosk Browser now supports a config file. This will enable desktop users to start it with a special configuration, without having to use a terminal or script to add arguments.

dartanyan

Tue May 20, 2014 9:43 am

Great!

ilovemipi

Wed May 28, 2014 8:27 pm

I am struggling to get this running and I have read the two pdf documents.

./check.py confirmed I had all the required software but this was not strictly true as I also needed the matchbox-window-manager.

When I run xinit ./kiosk it brings up the default home page and I can play the Oldies web radio audio. However if I try to 'play' the linked YouTube video it brings up the omxplayer but refuses to show any video (or audio).

Reading the GUI pdf I thought I might need the omxplayer from sconde.net but when I tried that it actually rolled back the player from 0.3.3 to 0.2.6. Same results no video (or audio) from the YouTube link on the default home page.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

gkreidl

Thu May 29, 2014 12:31 am

Did you install the new scripts (1.4.6)? They require a new omxplayer, or you have to set freeze_window to True.

Current version from http://omxplayer.sconde.net/ is
http://omxplayer.sconde.net/builds/omxp ... _armhf.deb

In a short while (version 1.5) all configuration can be done through a web interface.

ilovemipi

Thu May 29, 2014 4:00 am

gkreidl wrote:Did you install the new scripts (1.4.6)? They require a new omxplayer, or you have to set freeze_window to True.

Current version from http://omxplayer.sconde.net/ is
http://omxplayer.sconde.net/builds/omxp ... _armhf.deb

In a short while (version 1.5) all configuration can be done through a web interface.
Yes I ran the 1.4.6. scripts and installed the latest omxplayer from sconde.net. I presume I still run xinit ./kiosk from the 1.4.4 Examples even after running the 1.4.6 scripts?

I am running 3.6.11-rpi-aufs i.e. the Berryboot squashfs version of Raspbian 3.6.11, would this prevent the omxplayer from displaying the video?

gkreidl

Thu May 29, 2014 7:49 am

ilovemipi wrote:[

I am running 3.6.11-rpi-aufs i.e. the Berryboot squashfs version of Raspbian 3.6.11, would this prevent the omxplayer from displaying the video?
The old kernel might not be a problem, but your firmware must also be quite old. A few times in the past, new omxplayer versions required firmware updates.

First thing to test: run
omxplayer pathtofile
from a command line. Does it play?
Then run
omxplayer -v
to get the installed version.

ilovemipi

Thu May 29, 2014 8:43 am

Yes omxplayer ~/test.avi plays fine.

[email protected]:~# omxplayer -v

gives
/usr/bin/omxplayer.bin: invalid option -- 'v'

gkreidl

Thu May 29, 2014 11:00 am

ilovemipi wrote: [email protected]:~# omxplayer -v

gives
That shows, how old your omxplayer is. But newer versions might need newer system files.

Set it to 'simple' mode. From a terminal:
sudo nano /usr/local/bin/kwebhelper_settings.py

find the line:
freeze_window = False
and set it to
freeze_window = True
Then save the file. This should work with older omxplayer versions. All dbus commands are disabled, but that also means that some things are not possible like moving the video window around or resizing it while playing video.

ilovemipi

Thu May 29, 2014 5:17 pm

gkreidl wrote:
ilovemipi wrote: [email protected]:~# omxplayer -v

gives
That shows, how old your omxplayer is. But newer versions might need newer system files.

Set it to 'simple' mode. From a terminal:
sudo nano /usr/local/bin/kwebhelper_settings.py

find the line:
freeze_window = False
and set it to
freeze_window = True
Then save the file. This should work with older omxplayer versions. All dbus commands are disabled, but that also means that some things are not possible like moving the video window around or resizing it while playing video.
Thanks for your ongoing assistance. I don't have freeze_window, see file contents below:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ sudo cat /usr/local/bin/kwebhelper_settings.py
#!/usr/bin/env python

# helper settings file for kweb Minimal Kiosk Browser
# Copyright 2013-2014 by Guenter Kreidl
# free software without any warranty
# you can do with it what you like
# version 1.4

# GLOBAL OPTIONS
# where the downloads, PDF files etc. go, make sure a "Downloads" folder exists there
#homedir = '/media/volume'
homedir = ''
# if empty, the user's home dir will be taken

# OMXPLAYER AUDIO VIDEO OPTIONS
omxoptions = []
# for selecting the sound output, uncomment one of these:
#omxoptions = ['-o','hdmi']
#omxoptions = ['-o','local']
# more options are also possible of course
# special options for watching live tv streams (omxplayer > 0.32)
omx_livetv_options = ['--live']
# add the start of your live tv stream links to this list to enable live tv options
live_tv = []
# like this:
#live_tv = ['http://192.168.0.5:9082']
# set this to false, if you want to allow more than one omxplayer instance
kill_omxplayer = True
#kill_omxplayer = False

# mimetypes: if given, this will restrict what omxplayer will be given to play:
mimetypes = []
# normally omxplayer is started from a terminal (xterm), to clear the screen and get full keyboard control
# Set the following to "False" to use omxplayer without starting a terminal first
omxplayer_in_terminal_for_video = True
#omxplayer_in_terminal_for_video = False
omxplayer_in_terminal_for_audio = True
#omxplayer_in_terminal_for_audio = False

# options for m3u playlists, to check that they contain only audio files or streams
audioextensions = ['mp3','aac','flac','wav','wma','cda','ogg','ogm','ac3','ape']
try_stream_as_audio = False
# if set to "True", the following list will be used for checking for video files
videoextensions = ['asf','avi','mpg','mp4','mpeg','m2v','m1v','vob','divx','xvid','mov','m4v','m2p','mkv','m2ts','ts','mts','wmv','webm']

# Play audio files or playlists that contain only audio files in omxaudioplayer GUI:
useAudioplayer = True
# options for omxplayer to be used when playing audio
omxaudiooptions = []
# volume setting when starting omxaudioplayer ranging from -20 to 4 ( -60 to +12 db)
defaultaudiovolume = 0
# start playing and close after playing last song automatically (if "True", set to "False" to disable)
autoplay = True
autofinish = True
# Interface settings for omxaudioplayer:
# The font to be used for playlist and buttons
fontname = 'SansSerif'
# value between 10 and 22, will also determine the size of the GUI window:
fontheight = 14
# number of entries displayed in playlist window, between 5 and 25:
maxlines = 8
# width of the window, value between 40 and 80, defines the minimum number of characters of the song name
# displayed in the songlist (usually much more are shown!)
lwidth = 40

# if the following is set to "True", vlc will be used to play audio files and playlists (audio only)
useVLC = False
#useVLC = True

#COMMAND EXECUTION OPTIONS
# if this is set to "True", all Desktop (GUI) programs will be executed without starting a terminal first
check_desktop = True
#check_desktop = False
# direct commands will be executed without starting a terminal first
# use it for background commands or programs with a GUI that are not desktop programs or if check_desktop is set to "False"
direct_commands = ['kwebhelper.py','omxplayer']
# preferred terminal to run commands in, must be set
preferred_terminal = 'lxterminal'
#preferred_terminal = 'xterm'
formdata_in_terminal = False
#formdata_in_terminal = True
# set the following to "True", if you want to spare memory overhead (but you'll get more disk write accesses)
run_as_script = False
#run_as_script = True

# PDF OPTIONS
# preferred pdf reader; both must be set or emtpy
pdfprogpath = ''
pdfprog = ''
#pdfprogpath = '/usr/bin/mupdf'
#pdfprog = 'mupdf'
# additional options for pdf program (must match the selected program!):
pdfoptions = []
#pdfoptions = ['-fullscreen']
# this will allow to open pdf files on a local server as files instead of downloading them first;
# will only work with "http://localhost" links
pdfpathreplacements = {}
#pdfpathreplacements = {'http://localhost:8073/Ebooks1':'file:///var/www/Ebooks1'}

# DOWNLOAD OPTIONS
#download options for external download mode, enable one of these options:
show_download_in_terminal = True
#show_download_in_terminal = False

# ONLINE VIDEO OPTIONS
# options for pages containing video, either HTML5 video tags or all websites supported by youtube-dl
# if html5 video tags include more than one source format, select the preferred one here
preferred_html5_video_format = '.mp4'
# Choose, if HTML5 URL extraction is tried first and youtube-dl extraction afterwards or vice versa
html5_first = True
#html5_first = False
#additional youtube-dl options, e. g. selecting a resolution or file format
youtube_dl_options = []
#youtube_dl_options = ['-f','37/22/18']
# special omxplayer options for web video
youtube_omxoptions = []
# to use the same options as for other video, set
#youtube_omxoptions = omxoptions

### end of global settings

gkreidl

Thu May 29, 2014 5:33 pm

No, because this is version 1.4. Omxplayer GUI has been experimentally added in version 1.4.6 script. But you shouldn't use that anyway with your old omxplayer.

This version 1.4 only supports full screen video with omxplayer (as it has from the beginning).

You should try it with a video file first. Use the open command of the browser to select a video file. Does it play?

And tell me, what your are trying to achieve. It's easier to help you then.

ilovemipi

Thu May 29, 2014 5:41 pm

gkreidl wrote:No, because this is version 1.4. Omxplayer GUI has been experimentally added in version 1.4.6 script. But you shouldn't use that anyway with your old omxplayer.

This version 1.4 only supports full screen video with omxplayer (as it has from the beginning).

You should try it with a video file first. Use the open command of the browser to select a video file. Does it play?

And tell me, what your are trying to achieve. It's easier to help you then.
Ok I will give it a 'bash' with a local avi file. I have an ip camera on my lan and I want to stream the footage to the Pi.
The format is http://192.168.x.x:port/videostream.cgi?user=myname&pwd=mypwd (earlier tests indicate i need javascript enabled which your system offers).

P.S. I would also like to view youtube videos etc.

abadger

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:49 pm

What is the best touch screen monitor to use with minimal Kiosk Browser to make a small touch screen stand alone app ?

Thanks Dave

gkreidl

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:55 pm

More news about version 1.5

We have reached beta version 03 by now. Besides the features described in this post
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 50#p553349,
there is now a web interface for browser configuration (similar to about:config in other browsers) and for the settings of the helper programs (kwebhelper, omxplayerGUI) as well. Both forms and much more is combined into a control panel, which will be used as your default homepage, if no homepage.html file is found in your user directory and if you have not defined another URL as your homepage. A preview of that control panel web page can be found here.

So setting complicated command line options or editing a python file for the helper settings is not needed any more (but still possible, of course). And there's also support for an editable favorites and an application page.

I anyone wants to help with beta testing, he can contact me by PM (and include his email address).

dartanyan

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Seems promising. Waiting final release.

Return to “Raspbian”