gkreidl

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:21 am

Anouncing version 1.4

Updated Feb., 24th.

The new version is going into beta test now and it will be available in about two weeks. This time the changes in the browser kweb itself are small, but the supporting Python script kwebhelper.py, which is the binding glue to supporting programs like omxplayer, xpdf, youtube-dl etc., has been extended and modified in numerous ways.

1) Important changes for desktop users:

a) omxaudioplayer: a new GUI to play audio files and playlists with omxplayer has been integrated into kwebhelper.py. It has buttons for Play/Pause, Stop, Rewind, Forward, Next, Previous, a slider for for volume control and a scrollable playlist window.

b) A new toggle button has been added to the toolbar, to switch between using omxplayer for audio and video files and playlists and using built-in gstreamer support. This is an option for future webkit libraries which are compiled against gstreamer-1.0 with OpenMax support (hardware acceleration). The current webkit library (compiled for use of gstreamer 0.1) will play some audio formats, but will not be able to play video in real time.

c) In kwebhelper (kwebhelper_settings) the user can now set different omxplayer options for video, live-tv, audio and web video (HTML5 and websites using flash player supported by youtube-dl)

2) Important changes for embedded application developers who use kweb as frontend

There are quite a few additional fine tuning options (in kwebhelper and kwebhelper_settings), which will be explained in detail in the changelog and the new manual edition.

The most important is the option to use omxplayer without starting a terminal. This enables application developers to play audio completely in background or to play video in a defined area on the screen (using omxplayer's "--win" option), which looks like video embedded into a website. There is no keyboard control possible for omxplayer in this case but playback can be stopped from the browser with an optional keyboard command (ALT+q) or with a command link.

Changelog now available from here
Last edited by gkreidl on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

tvjon

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:36 pm

gkreidl wrote:Anouncing version 1.4

The new version is going into beta test now and it will be available in about two weeks. ...
a) omxaudioplayer: a new GUI to play audio files and playlists with omxplayer has been integrated into kwebhelper.py. It has buttons for Play/Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, a slider for for volume control and a scrollable playlist window.

b) A new toggle button has been added to the toolbar, to switch between using omxplayer for audio and video files and playlists and using built-in gstreamer support. This is an option for future webkit libraries which are compiled against gstreamer-1.0 with OpenMax support (hardware acceleration). The current webkit library (compiled for use of gstreamer 0.1) will play some audio formats, but will not be able to play video in real time....
The most important is the option to use omxplayer without starting a terminal. This enables application developers to play audio completely in background or to play video in a defined area on the screen (using omxplayer's "--win" option), which looks like video embedded into a website. There is no keyboard control possible for omxplayer in this case but playback can be stopped from the browser with an optional keyboard command (ALT+q) or with a command link.
Looks very good :)

I already do what you have in your png, via a bash script, except for the "gui" buttons. I have to remember which keypresses do what instead :)

I'll be very interested to see your gstreamer performance, as I haven't seen much worthwhile there so far.....

gkreidl

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi John,

you'll get a new version tomorrow. I just finished the changelog.

webkit libs with gestreamer-1.0 support are not available for the RPi yet ...
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Freezeline

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 am

Will QuickTime videos play with version 1.4? Will .swf files play?

Thank you.

Freezeline

gkreidl

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:48 pm

swf and flash player: no, it isn't and will never be available for the Pi; Adobe has stopped development for mobile and embedded platforms anyway and will only support it for x86 computers for a while.

Quicktime files (.mov) can usually be played with omxplayer (may depend on the codecs being used) and kweb uses omxplayer for playing video. But it depends on how the video is embedded into the web page:

1) Links to QT video files can be clicked and will be played with omxplayer full screen.

2) Flash video player with QT content can be played, if the website is supported by youtube-dl (about 20 to 30 video websites).

3) If HTML5 video tags (the modern variant that will replace flash players) include QT files, they can also be extracted and played.

In cases 2) and 3) you have to click the "Play" icon in the toolbar to tell kweb to extract the video URL and send it to omxplayer which will play it full screen.

To play video inside the web page the RPi processor is not powerfull enough and plug-ins with HW acceleration are not available (yet).

gkreidl

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:45 pm

New version 1.4 is online.

For download link and install instructions see the first posting in this thread.

The manual has been updated and a new chapter about document and media support has been added. I also removed a lot of white space by not starting each (short) chapter on a new page so you'll need less paper if you want to print it.

Have fun!

gkreidl

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Soon to be released: New kwebhelper script with built-in (optional) GUI for omxplayer, using the new dbus commands: movie window can be moved and resized and aspect ratio can be changed at run time. Can be used for all kinds of web video, files, live tv, playlists etc. (also standalone)

Marcos.Scholl

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello, it is possible to get a streaming video from the GStreamer for KWEB?

Could you show me how?

Thanks, and sorry for my English.

gkreidl

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Can the stream be displayed with omxplayer? If so, you can also play it from kweb. You can even simulate the appearance within a web page, by using the --win option of omxplayer (in fact, it remains an overlay).

jviyer

Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:50 pm

First off, thanks for building this browser.
my situation:
this is with 1.4 version. I launched a page with html5 video tags as below.

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<video width="320" height="240" controls autoplay>
  <source src="http://www.wowza.com/_h264/BigBuckBunny_115k.mov" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg">
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

</body>
</html>
What I see is that the audio plays but no video is seen in the window (the controls do appear on the screen).
(However, when I click on the "Play" toolbar button of kweb, the video does play correctly on full screen.)
wondering if the current kweb 1.4 is NOT expected to play it on the embedded window as I would expect from the html5
script above (in the 32-X240 window I have specified) ? Or is there something I not doing correctly ?
Thanks a lot,

gkreidl

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:00 am

The RPi cannot really display video without HW acceleration by the GPU. HTML5 video is supported in the current webkit library (used by Minimal Kiosk Browser, Midori and others), but it uses gstreamer-0.1 (if completely installed including all plugins) and HW acceleration is not supported. We need a newer webkit library which supports gstreamer-1.0 with OpenMax support (available for the RPi, but not on the official repository).

For embedded applications you can use a trick: create an iframe inside the page and point its src to a video file or stream link. Then omxplayer will be started automatically, usually playing in full screen mode. But there are special options in kwebhelper_settings.py that can be set to run omxplayer without starting a terminal first and by using the --win option video can be displayed in a certain area of the screen. Another possibility is to use a command link as src of the iframe. You can check my slideshow example for details.

danlawton

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 am

Hi gkreidl

Im using your browser as a dashboard sort of application where you can view and change settings in the house. Everything is fine except I've found out your browser doesn't seem to support AJAX GET, PUT and POST request, they work in other browsers so I'm assuming its kweb.

I start kweb from terminal with kweb -KJE url, so javascript is enabled any ideas?

Thanks
Danny

gkreidl

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:15 pm

I need something for testing it. What kind of AJAX response script do you use (PHP, Python, CGI)? I have to set up a testing environment to find the cause of the problem. You can contact me by PM, if you like.

agronpi

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm having some trouble executing the --win option with omxplayer via a URL command. Here's what I have done thus far:
-changed kwebhelper_settings.py to omxplayer_in_terminal_for_video = False
-attempted to call omxplayer via a URL string command as noted in the user manual (my example below)

What I'm wondering is if I need to do something additional since the --win argument needs double quotes around the parameters that follow. The following URL string doesn't seem to work:

Code: Select all

<a href="main.html?cmd=omxplayer%20--win%20%220%200%20740%20460%22%20mymovie.mp4">click here </a>
I can make the omxplayer -- win option work from the command line without issue.

gkreidl

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:21 pm

This cannot work. You've got 2 possibilities:

a) add '--win','x1 y1 xe y2' to omxoptions in kwebhelper_settings. Then create a simple link to the video file: href="file///home/pi/myvideo.mp4" (no command link!).

b) create a command form (a button, for example) to call the video. You can add (double) quited arguments. You'll find an example in the default homepage file inside the kweb-1.4 folder.

agronpi

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Thank you for the response.
Option A resizes the video, but puts the terminal full screen. Everything behind the video is blacked out.

For the second option, I was able to generate the assembled link via the play button on the default_homepage.html and just hard code that it into a page. But, I can only get it to work with remote files (via http). I doesn't work with files on the local file system.

The default_homepage.html behaves the same way (even when renamed to homepage.html in my home directory). Plus, in that case, it freezes the browser.

If the video file is in my home directory (/home/pi/video.mp4), what should be entered into the form on the default homepage to get a file from the local file system to launch in the overlay?

BTW - I think this is a really awesome bit of coding and is super helpful to me. I'm creating some kiosks with touchscreens and your solution along with the raspberry pi is making everything much easier and more compact.

gkreidl

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am

For solution a:
set
omxplayer_in_terminal_for_video = False

For b:
the file link should be the full path to the video (just tested it), in your case:
/home/pi/video.mp4
If you create something similar without visible controls (using hidden type) except for the button, the tag containing the file name must have a name starting with "quoted".

Contact me via PM. Then we can exchange email addresses and you can send me test files etc.

agronpi

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:32 pm

A fresh install cured this issue. Must have been something I changed, but hadn't intended to.

I also discovered that using "homepage.html" in the link command (i.e. <a href=homepage.html?cmd>, followed by all of the command text, is a critical part of calling the omxplayer as a standalone (non-terminal) application. I guess I didn't quite catch that in the documentation. I was trying to call the page I was on (self-reference with command) rather than prepending the link with homepage.html.

Thank you for all of your work on this! This is has simplified my life considerably!

gkreidl

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:56 pm

New update 1.4.6 of kwebhelper.py script available
This is obsolete now, as kweb 1.5 has been published.
Last edited by gkreidl on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkreidl

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 am

Bugfix update: kwebhelper.py version 1.4.6
(PDF section didn't work). If you have already installed version 1.4.5 you should replace it.
I've updated the previous posting to point to the new version.

Enmakozato30

Tue May 06, 2014 1:34 pm

Im completely newbie here.
Im having an trouble when i boot this browser without going to raspbian desktop.
I'd followed the manual carefully and tried it several times. But it always gives me this error:
bin/sh: 1: exec: /sbin/login: not found
1 is respawning too much: disabled for 5mins
Please someone help me.

gkreidl

Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Enmakozato30 wrote:Im completely newbie here.
Im having an trouble when i boot this browser without going to raspbian desktop.
I'd followed the manual carefully and tried it several times. But it always gives me this error:
1 is respawning too much: disabled for 5mins
Please someone help me.
Did you try to set up starting the browser directly after booting? Before you try that, you should make sure, that you can start it from the command line with xinit and one of the (or your own) kiosk files.
From your error messages I can only assume that you did not log in.
You can send me a PM with more details,

dartanyan

Thu May 08, 2014 10:53 am

Hi gkreidl.

Congratulations for your work. I am using your browser for some sporadic browsing. I have installed MKB like an app for EmulationStation so is great to have XBMC, emulators and browsing all in one.

This browser doenst have a download manager. I belive that this will be a great feature for a future release ;)

I will update MKB to your latest 1.4.6 version.

Thanx.

dartanyan

Fri May 09, 2014 7:26 am

Some icons are not shown in the toolbar :?

Regards.

gkreidl

Fri May 09, 2014 11:17 am

dartanyan wrote:Some icons are not shown in the toolbar :?
Regards.
I'm only using system icons. Are you running a kind of reduced Raspbian image?
You can also start the browser with an options string containing 'T'; then only text labels are uses in the toolbar.

Regarding your previous message: A download manager is not planned. If I start adding things like that. I'll end up with a new Midori. If you need a kind of control for long running downloads, you can enable the 'Use wget' option. But I'll add support for the uget download manager into the next version of kwebhelper.

Return to “Raspbian”